Random freezes (screen unresponsive) while scrolling (started after Android 10 upgrade)

Hi,
I have a fairphone 3+ and I am experiencing the exact same bug…
Any updates on your side ?
This is really an annoying bug…

Same here on a fairphone 3. Any news ?

Same here also. Never happend on Android 9 and I have upgraded just about two weeks ago.

Has anyone here, except @rainer_zufall, ever reported this bug?

at least for me it is too little of an issue to be reported, maybe others think the same way

As you want, but be aware that reporting an issue is always the best thing to do. Indeed, the more data FP will have, the better they will manage to solve the issue.
Even a small issue should be reported.

2 Likes

I’ve been having this issue since upgrading to Android 10 last year, and it seems even more frequent since the last update a few days ago.

It never happens in Firefox, only Chrome and apps using the embedded webview. It just happened while reading this thread. Subjectively, it seems more likely to happen on long pages, but it might just be that it’s caused by scrolling and long pages require more scrolling.

After pressing the square and going back to the app it seems that any clicks or scrolls done while the screen was frozen have actually taken effect, it’s just the UI didn’t redraw to show those changes.

I also used to get ghost touches, but this is different.

Sorry to dip in despite the fact that I don’t own a Fairphone. I own a Samsung Galaxy A31, but I believe to be having the same issue.

Sometimes, when I am browsing on Chrome or the WebView, the page Im in becomes irresponsible to touch, couldn’t drag, scroll or click. But it’s only the page. The browser interface works normally, as the notification bar and the bottom Android bar.

So, as soon as I interact with any part of the screen that is not the page, all the touch interactions I did with the page execute at once, as if they were cached or the page was not rendering until that point.

Sorry if I get it wrong or our issues are not related. Cheers!

Yes, that sounds very similar.

I had the same problem. FP did send me a new screen, since than it never happened again.

1 Like

Howdy, just a quick update to mention that I have the same issue.

Happens with Chromium, Brave and Bromite, all based on Chromium, but never on Firefox for example.

Some random guy on plebbit mentioned how switching the ignore-gpu-blocklist flag helped in his case but to no avail for me.

Hope we’ll get answers on that, it seems like it has been happening for almost a year now.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. Are there any updates on the topic?

Given the above it seems a bit odd that, in one instance, a screen replacement resolves what appears to be a software issue, so maybe it was a contact issue.

Have any of the above tried removing and replacing the screen to check it’s seated ok?

1 Like

Ridiculous… I have two accs with T-Mobile, one with an android 10 and the other with an old windows phone…I would burn the android 10 in a second… To many problems on the other hand my windows phone works like an eternal machine… Never had a problems with it… The downfall… The apps… Very tired of that freezen screen with the android phone

Can you move any data from the Android to the Windows phone and do a factory reset.

Your problem is rare and you may get a repair/refund etc if it still exists after a factory reset.

I have done factory reset to my androids (more than one) several times…latest one samsung and ulefone but the problem persist… It is an OS problem I believe… Can I move data to microsoft? Yes without a doubt… but the problem are the windows apts… Hard to come by for the need use (example security apps for equipments so I need to go back to my android) for me, the worse decision that windows did was to pull the plug with their phone system… BY FAR a more reliable more secure os

It may not be software as it’s a rarely noted issue. Have contacted support@fairphone.com

You could try and dismantle and reset the contacts otherwise I think it may be a hardware issue.

By the way are you using the latest Android 10 version 0084

I have the same problem with my Fairphone 3 since the update to Android 10. Also, Google Chrome and Android System WebView refuse to update.
Very annoying issue.

Hi there have been many updates to A10, which are you currently on? If you use an SD card check to see if it is formatted as external ~ you will see an eject symbol to the right Settings > Storage

I have the latest Android build, and do not use an SD card.
I tried a factory reset, but that did not solve the problem.

If you went this far without success, you might as well reinstall the OS, because a factory reset in the Android world only deletes user data and Apps installed by the user and their data, the OS itself is left untouched …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-on-FP3-FP3-

In-place upgrades to a new major OS version (as opposed to cleanly installing the new version from scratch) can cause weird behaviour of all sorts. This has nothing to do with any particular OS or device, it can happen with all of them, software in general became just hopelessly complex.
Vendors can’t test every state an installation might be in, and they are not bold enough to leave cleanly installing from scratch as the only upgrade option, because obviously many users wouldn’t like that. So they do what they can with testing and roll out in-place upgrades keeping their fingers crossed.

5 Likes