Problems with SD xard even as external storage

I’ve been having problems with my FP3 and SD card for some time now. First it was a total mess with neither my gallery nor WhatsApp working properly. But that was fixed when I changed the formatting from internal to external.

But now I’m having problems again. My camera has changed its storage back to phone which doesn’t have enough free space and I can’t change it back to the SD card even tho it is shown fir example in the phones storage setting.

I’m also having minor issues with apps stored on the SD card. They open and work like normal, but they don’t save my cookie preferences and for example Telegram keeps logging me out, so as I don’t get the notifications, it’s basically useless.

What to do?

Welcome to the Community Forum :wave:

Plainly speaking, storing apps on the SD card should be technically impossible if the card was really formatted as external (portable storage). Apps can only run on an SD card if the card is formatted as internal (phone storage).

Perhaps you might want to check again – if you open the FILES app, is the card listed separately in the left-hand side bar (that you get when you tap the three bar “hamburger” menu in the top left)?

1 Like

Huh, how curious… It used to be separated, but it’s not anymore. So I’m guessing somehow, downloading new apps, they stored on the SD card and made it internal. Because I most definitely formated the card again as to get rid of the issues with using it as internal storage.

So I guess the next question is; how to format the card again as external without losing all data stored on it?

You will need to (at least temporarily) store the whole contents on the card on another medium (computer, hard drive, SSD drive etc.). Or probably you will need to backup the whole phone – I have no personal experience with phone storage SD cards, so I don’t know in how far you can distinguish at all which data is on the built-in storage and which is on the added card.

Connect the phone to the external medium via USB (setting USB connection type to “File transfer”) or Wi-Fi and copy everything there. This will take a while …

1 Like