Poll: If you could install any mobile operating system

Same here, I would definitely buy if there’s support.

I would be ready to even spend monney on this:

i.e.: if there’s a 50€ more expensive version sold with Sailfish OS already pre-installed (instead of some flavour of Android and I needing to do the installation), where the extra money goes to Jolla to fund the development of the FP2-specific spin of Sailfish.

1 Like

Sounds cool, but I think it might be better to suggest that to Jolla. Maybe a 50€ prepayment so they can work on the software and when they are done you pay the rest, they buy a bunch of Fairphones, install Sailfish on them and ship them with support by Jolla.

3 Likes

Hum… could you please please stop reading over my shoulder ? :smile_cat:
I was exactly writing such a comment on one of the answers of Jolla “Together” Askbot. (last comment on linked question).

4 Likes

I didn’t try to copy your idea, I swear! :smiley:
It’s just, … great minds think alike I guess!

4 Likes

For those interested, there is a diagram of the various components of SailfishOS and the current status of open vs proprietary.

https://sailfishos.org/about/

2 Likes

Well this is not much cheering :worried: the only OS software is practically a classic Linux distribution software, while all the Sailfish OS part seems to be closed source…
I am a Sailfish OS advocate but only because it is Linux-based as I wrote in an old post, but having a closed source OS doesn’t differ too much from Android though…
Thank you for you information :smile:

I’m not expecting any cheers, but as a few people expressed concerns about what is and isn’t open source about SailfishOS that its just best to be transparent and people can then make up their own mind.

2 Likes

Dear Sailfish enthusiasts, (just to name a few: @flywheel, @DjDas, @Niklas_Wallin, @WilliePre, @mosen, @Robert_Meier, @elldekaa, @Randy_Mcfelch, @veps2i, @r0kk3rz):

Have you seen the latest blog post about Fairphone collaborating with key members of Sailfish community?

9 Likes

I’ve known about this since the pop-up in London a few weeks ago but it’s nice to finally see an official announcement.

From the sounds of it, this will be a full port which will include OTA update support, and proprietary technology like alien-dalvik (android runtime) which is great to see and much better than a purely community driven effort could create.

I guess we will find out more in the future once it’s available! In the mean time I might beg sledges for a pre-release for enthusiastic pioneers.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Porting Sailfish OS to the Fairphone 2

Cool, that sounds interesting. Can you give us some more details on what you learned there? Sharing it in the thread about that event would be great.

A little résumé more than half a year after creating the poll:

1. 62%! voted for Sailfish OS and hopefully won’t have to wait much longer
  2. Ubuntu (I haven’t heard anything?)
  3. Cyanogen Mod (haven’t heard anything either)
  4. Firefox OS (beta version exists but isn’t “blob free” yet.)
  5. Replicant (probably never)
  6. Google Android
  7. Fairphone Android (preinstalled), Fairphone Android w/o GAPPS (rumored to be released in 1st quarter of 2016), Windows Phone (lol)
5 Likes

So there is no chance for Windows 10 Mobile in the near future?

I believe there is no chance for Windows mobile on any FP ever, since Windows is not FLOSS. Unless someone somehow gets to the windows code and ports it unofficially and illegally.

1 Like

Or Fairphone goes down and Microsoft buys them, as they did with Nokia. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or the other way around. :smiley:

4 Likes

Have you ever tried windows mobile?

I have it on my work phone (Nokia). Amazing how it renders great hardware to an unusable chunk of garbage. I don’t know how anyone could seriously want windows mobile on a phone :grinning:

It is completely unorganized, chaotic, no file explorer, hard to personalize, bad user experience, unstable (frequent reboots) , internet explorer often crashes, no apps, …
It is by far the worst OS i have ever experienced on a phone.

1 Like

Omg Internet Explorer still exists? I had no idea. Last time I saw IE was before I saw a smartphone for the first time.

Well, having received my Fairphone 2 a few days ago, coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Replicant I obviously voted for Replicant. I’m one oft the few (I guess) who bot an FP2 as a performance upgrade. So I ordered the same day, I read there will be an OS-Variant. The ethical aspects triggered just as much.
Since Replicant is a Cyanogen-Fork I’m pretty disappointed by Android 5.1 regarding the ability to customize close to everything. So CM would have been my second choice. I also hope the FP-Team considers the demands of Replicant for future developments.

1 Like

continues here: