Poll for FP3 owners: camera upgrade or not?

Or you just stick with your old modules until you really need new ones. :wink:

Because reusing/recycling is the ethical and sustainable thing to do?

From the ethical point of view, that Fairphone stands for (at least the way I see it):
They offer an initial discount of 25 Euro (i.e. 26.3%) for buying both modules as a bundle. That’s even cheaper than a bundle of the old modules, which comes at 79.9 Euro.
In my opinion that’s quite a lot! And I doubt very much, that there is more room financially without loosing money.
Plus: Tempting users even more to exchange the cameray by buying back the old modules would somehow send the message: “We want to sell the new stuff at all costs. You have to be dumb not to switch to the new version.
And that - in my opinion - is totally the contrary to what Fairphone stands for.
To be hones, I’m a bit ambivalent already regarding the discount; but that is the way marketing works. And if it gets more people attracted to Fairphone, it’s fine by me.

3 Likes

Same here.
I would’ve loved they would’ve released the new modules later, in the same time than FP4 to encourage FP3 users to keep their phone longer rather than buying a FP4 for example next year, if it were to be released then.
It would’ve been a way to use the “old” camera modules longer, enough to justify a change.

It was too early for an FP4. And seeing the trouble they had dealing with different projects (I’m talking about the security patches, as @BertG pointed out), an FP4 was out of the question for me.

If they design a new mainboard with new CPU und GPU, more RAM and more internal storage and with 5G support, which is compatible to FP 3, that is, you just have to change the mainboards, then I think you could sell the phone with the new SOC as FP4, but I doubt that many users would buy the new SOC, as long as the software support is the same. The current specs of FP3 are good enough for most people not playing sophisticated games.

2 Likes

I am really surprised that this so-called “fair and ethic” phone enter in this game of high MP. Form me 48MP is absolutely useless, will generate heavy files, use more processor, more memory, etc.
I understand Fairphone company from the comercial point of view, but from the ethical one I think it’s a step back.

2 Likes

Hold on. You need to know what is the noise free/optical zoom range. Big megapixels is not a substitute for optical zoom, not in the slightest.

Judge for yourself: FP3+ gsm-arena review

1 Like

Technically the 48Mpx will be converted to 12Mpx so no uselessly heavy files. But it will allow you to zoom more without resolution loss. And being a larger camera, it should be better in low-light.

5 Likes

OK @Antoine, you are right. I understand that in fact the result is a 12MP photo only. Well, each pixel has only 1 color only. This color was build with 4 pixel initialy but it’s still a 12MP photo.

As each real pixel size is smaller (0.8 micron), it will take much less light. The quality of pictures in low light depends on the size of the sensor and it’s quality. This is why Nikon D6 ($6000!) has only 21MP and a huge sensor. The surface of the D6 sensor is 864mm2, FP3+ is about 28mm2. The result is that one D6 pixel surface is 70 bigger than FP3+. This is why D6 is good in low light.

When I compare photos taken with FP3 12MP and Nikon D200 12MP (13 years old) I can see why big sensors will keep the advantage for long. I believe that improving quality of sensor , its size and the “lens” will be a good choice rather than jump into high computer processing.

4 Likes

I want to buy the back module, but I’m going to wait until I get reassured that it works with /e/.

And the old one is already amazing in low light when using the ported google camera app, so imagine how good the new could be.

1 Like

E foundation is working on making its software platform /e/ compatible with Android 10 FP3/FP3+. Throughout August they are developing, in September they will do beta testing and the operating system will be available in October.”
8 Likes

Are you talking about night mode? Is there any in the play store? Or you have to hack the phone.

I guess, it’s about this thread, that @Antoine already linked aabove:

And, it is not available in the play-store.

4 Likes

Quick thinking about the final number of Mpx: have you noticed that because of its characteristics the new back camera will release a 12Mpx shot where the new front one will release a 16Mpx, so they will be bigger in size than the other pictures?

Fairphone, the brand that care about your selfies :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think for now I will hold on to the original modules to serve as spares. If the new modules work well, I might decide to send the old ones back to Fairphone at some point, or perhaps sell them on here, although I cannot imagine much demand for the old modules? I don’t imagine many people are having problems with their modules and if I needed to replace them I’d probably opt for the upgrade.

1 Like

I’ll wait to see if FP3+ users also have issue when sound stops working after using headphones.

Most of it was resolved with recent updates and it occurs less often so I still hope that it is only software issue which will be completely resolved soon with Android 10. Only if it’s hardware issue I would upgrade top module.

That an upgrade for the camera would follow was known for a while and the option to improve an already owned device is absolutely great. For relatively new owners, as myself, this current deal feels not entirely right, tho.

The price difference from the FP 3 to 3+ is 50€. If you wish to upgrade you newly bought FP3 a payment of 70€ (not included shipping even on discount) is in order. I fully support this project and what it stands for, even if you have to pay a bit more compared to other devices and accessories (and those could be way better quality wise, sadly). I hope there will be an option for exactly those type of customers of Fairphone.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

Well, as you said, it was known they’d do it sooner or later. I admit it was earlier than expected by me, but it seems now we can expect something new from Fairphone each year (validity date of new referral codes is up to August 2021, 25th) :wink:

I’m afraid you may be right @Antoine !
What a fool I am. I thought I could buy a Fairphone and keep it useful and unmodified for years… Hahahahahaha… what a fool :partying_face:

Well… You can. They don’t force you to buy the modules and they still offer both versions in the shop. And they made the update to android 10 available for everyone. So… Basically, you don’t have to change anything if you don’t want to. That’s all the point.

2 Likes