Phone app favorites get cleared regularly

Hi all,

Only recently I discovered a new behavior of my FP2 running latest FPOS: In the phone app there are three tabs: Favorites (marked with a star), Recent (clock) and contacts. In the Favorites tab I used to have contacts that I have called or that have called me recently. For about two weeks now these favorites only persist for a few hours, at least the next day they are usually gone and only the favorites that I have marked as such in their contact settings are still there.
I didn’t change anything actively except for that my phone visited neighboring countries and struggled a little bit with the network choice, so I had to help it with manual selection which I switched back to automatic later on. Don’t know if that could have any impact. The problem however persists back at home.

Any idea what is happening here and how it could be fixed?

Thanks,
Martin

1 Like

Hello Martin,

I’ve been experiencing the same issue than you for 1 or 2 weeks maximum.
In my case, I didn’t change the network choice settings, it is still selected automatically.

So far I remember, there was no update of any sort directly prior to the problem’s apparition.

Do you still have the issue or has it been solved meanwhile ?

Thanks,
Nicolas

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that I’m not the only one. Yes, unfortunately the problem persists. I deleted the cache of all apps, I rebooted, I shut down the phone and started it again which temporarily led to the issue of the phone being extremely slow but that got better by itself somehow again. But the issue described above is still there…

I have exactly the same problem as described by Martin (albeit without any international travel). Problem also appeared early May 2019.

Solutions welcome.

Thanks

Suri.

1 Like

Do you all happen to use an SD card that you formatted for use as extended “internal storage”?

2 Likes

At least for me I can confirm this. Does this tell me that the memory card is dying, together with this issue?

I wouldn’t go so far to claim (and haven’t really got the knowledge to judge) this, but it might not “respond” as lightning-fast or reliably as it might need for your app.

For quite a while, I wanted to post a topic on this forum in order to find out what the actual advantages of formatting the SD card as internal memory are – I keep finding that it causes problems for users to do so. For the time being, I would always recommend to keep the SD card as external storage in order to keep the apps on the internal storage and really big files (photos, videos, music) on the external storage. When the SD card serves as extended internal storage, you simply cannot distinguish the two anymore.

1 Like

I have this behaviour also.
My SD card is listed as portable storage in Settings.
I think I haven’t formatted my SD card as extended internal storage.
How can I check that for you?

2 Likes

If the SD card is formatted as internal storage, then it should simply not show separately in the storage settings. It should appear as if there was no SD card at all (apart from the sole hint that the internal storage is bigger than the 32 GB that are built-in).

I guess we might have to rule out the SD card as the cause here based on @Lidwien’s confirmation that it happens as well with an SD card that is external storage.

If that’s the case then I don’t have the extended memory, it is listed as portable memory, too. Doesn’t fit to what I remember I did but I would have to look this up exactly again. Putting the card into a card reader would help confirming this, correct?

“Portable memory” contradicts my first guess, so a different cause needs to be found. :angel:

The problem got solved at my phone by the update Fairphone Open 19.05.2 (This is the Open version, without Google.).

If you are one the ‘normal’ version with Google, please update to Fairphone OS 19.05.3 . And see if this solves the problem.

1 Like

When I read the change list and saw that there was something about the phone app I was already thinking about if that could have solved anything. I just didn’t call any contacts since the update, but now I populated the list again by calling two known numbers and I’ll see if the list persists…

Now that the forum is accessible again I can say that the update to FPOS 19.05.3 didn’t solve the issue for me.

For a few day it was solved at my phone, but now the ‘problem’ is back.
I am on Fairphone Open 19.05.2

Now I begin to think what I see now, only the favourites that I called recently, is that not the behaviour what is should be in the ‘star’ tab.
I just marked a contact as favourite which I called 7 day ago and promptly this contact is shown in the ‘star’ tab.
So now the ‘star’ tab is actually showing what it should have been showing from the beginning.

That has always worked for me, too. But it also showed contacts that I called or that called me often which makes sense, I’d say.

No, it doesn’t, because it still shows recently called contacts for a few hours before it forgets them. That behavior is inconsistent. The original behavior was to have marked favorites at the first positions and then the frequently called/received contacts next until the screen was full. Now if not calling saved contacts at least daily one might end up with an empty screen in the favorites tab. In that way this tab renders itself widely useless at least for some users (like me). Since I don’t know how to reproduce the issue it’s difficult to create a ticket on this.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.