Parts of the touchscreen don't work - See first post for troubleshooting

Today it got worse, cant use left side and right side of the display anymore, i hope the support will contact me soon.


my FP2 now is replaced. I also had to call the support by phone because they have not enough staff to handle the tickets.
The new touchscreen is working now.

today I had a struggle day using FP2. I was trying to read an address on Gmail but several ghost touches didn’t let me in. only removing the battery stop them, but when I turned it on they started again and this almost blocked the SIM with 2 wrong PIN (!!!)
the phone was unusable during 15min. I had to remove the battery 3-4 times to acheive reading the address.
I wrote to support mentioning that I had theese 2 issues togheter (starting with blind letters and now join with ghost touches) and definitely this one is the most disturbing.
hope to have back a normal phone soon…

Hey @Rey_B,

I got my new Fairphone 2 on Friday. I was very busy this week-end, so I only opened the package a couple hours ago. The brand new Fairphone seems to be working fine, now I also need to re-install all my apps and import my data.

My opinion: the return procedure was pretty long, time-demanding, and you definitely need to call support if you want a follow-up on your ticket. Although it cost me time and energy (more than 5 weeks since I opened the ticket, even more since the problem started) to get this solved, the employees from Fairphone were very pleasant all the way.


I just called support via phone and they told me I need to send the whole phone in to their repair center. So just sending a replacement screen is not an option as support told me. They just sent me an email how to proceed.
The whole procedure (from sending it in to having the repaired phne back at my place) is supposed to take 15 working days.

Good news for me (even if it’s kind of weird): yesterday my touchscreen issue was exactly as described in my post 4 days ago, this afternoon I realized that the non-working left part was reduced to approx. 0,5 cm (from originally / yesterday ~1 cm, see attached screenshot from 2016-03-24-15-09-48):

This meant that I almost could use the whole keyboard, only “q” was giving a “w”, but tipping on “a” was returning an “a” again (not the “s” anymore)

An hour ago I increased touch and hold delay from short to medium (as recommended in this thread) and now the touchscreen is fully operational as can be seen here (screenshot from 2016-03-24-19-45-59):

Since I’m not really believing in self healing technical stuff (too long in IT, I fear) I started thinking what might have caused the change. I only can remember these three changes I did after the issue started:

  • Approx. 4 days after I recognized the problem I removed the protection foil (as mentioned), which didn’t change anything in the short term.
  • Since Monday (2016-03-21) I’m carrying my FP2 not in my trousers’ pocekt anymore, but in a Feuerwear case (also see this thread / post)
  • Today (2016-03-24) evening I changed the touch and hold delay.

Maybe anyone can verify / falsify if changing the touch and hold delay setting will help?
In case anything will change on my side I’ll update this thread.



I have the same problem. Yesterday, about half a cm from the left side of the touchscreen stoped working. A few hours later (I have no idea why, i didn’t do anything special) it worked again, but today it stopped working once more and another not working stripe “appeared”, located somewhere to the right of the middle. Now it looks like that (black: working, white: not working):

After reading @Phantomias7’s post today noon I checked again and found that also on my FP2 the issue returned, however, the non-working stripe is still on the left side. As originally, it’s approx. 1 cm again (ecreenshot 2016-03-25-14-00-34):

Some further checks / actions like

Since I did not do any other relevant changes to the phone I think I can rule out (at least in my case) finally that it’s a software issue.

1 Like

For me I think the best thing is :

  1. Do the ticket the more accurately you can.
  2. As I read on the fair phone support site somewhere, call them a week later so you are sure your ticket is seen and action are taken.

For me it worked and they were kind and fast to take action. I have know a back to work fair phone 2.

Sorry for the late answer, I didn’t had time until now.
Have a nice day everyone.

It worked like that for me, I thought that they had enough informations to be sure that it was a (screen part) problem, and the fact is that it was because my phone is back to 100% now.

Hmmm… interesting. I directly asked for a replacement screen but in my case they insisted in turning the whole phone in to the repair center. It was picked up today.

I have the same problem, even though the non working area is not on the leftern edge but rather center-left, still a vertical path that is not reacting. Since i did not drop the phone, nor spilled anything over it, i asked myself wether i did anything wrong when i took it apart. But all reboots and un- and remountings didn’t help. After i switched it off for a while the issue was gone. But only for a short period.
After reading all these posts i just called Support right now, (very friendly, a little language complication) and i was told that i would get an email to which i should reply with a screenshot from my test screen app and that that would normally lead to a replacement of the display module. Great, since i wouldn’t want to reuse my old phone and reinstall everything on the new FP2…



First of all, I’m sorry for the poor English…

I have the following problems with my Fairphone 2.

  • Some keys do not work in portrait mode. It started with X, then D and E, and now also A and Q. Sometimes, some of them “come back”, but only for a few minutes. They work pefectly well in lansdscape mode, so I guess that the problem comes from the touchscreen.
  • Sometimes, the phone seems to become “insane”, as if “someone” pressed randomly at full speed on the screen. The only way to stop it is removing the battery, several times if needed.

My phone never fell on the ground, and I protect it very well. I use it perfectly normally. I restored the factory-default settings, without any improvement.

I sent an e-mail to the support team 26 (!!) days ago, but in French, which was probably a major mistake. 11 days ago, I sent another e-mail in English, but I’m still waiting for a reply (I mean, a real reply, not an automatic one).

I hope this message on the forum will make things move a little bit…

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help me.

@nnb77 I moved your post here. This topic discusses your first issue, for the second one please go here:

(This should be improved by the new software update)

Hi, I hope you can help me as the fairphone support hasn’t answered me in the last 3 weeks… :frowning:
The lower right part of the touchscreen is not working anymore (since about 4 weeks). When I use the phone in the vertical position I cannot use the delete-button or the keys on the right hand side when I write a message. After yesterday’s update it didn’t get better but rather worse - The circle and square buttons are almost never reacting. When I open the app view I cannot open any app on the right hand side, it’s not reacting.
Is this a software bug? I tried removing the display but couldn’t get it off (I looked at the instructions…)

I also had problems with ghost touches - apps were opened and buttons were pressed even though I didn’t do anything. This issue started when the touchscreen didn’t work well anymore, but it rarely happens after I changed the reaction time to medium.

I would really like to keep my phone but it’s no fun to use it…

I’ve moved your post here, as it discusses the same issues that you’re having. If you want to try to re-assemble the screen, there are some tips in the topic here.

Thanks Johannes :slight_smile: I didn’t find this topic with the search.

Now that my phone froze and rebooted, it has become totally unusable. The touchscreen issue prevents me from unlocking my SIM, which prevents me from further steps. It is now lying in a drawer, dead. Switching back to my old Nokia as a backup. Haven’t head from support after nearly a month. I’m disappointed. :disappointed:

Not really a solution, but maybe a way to backup your data etc. would be to connect a mouse with an USB OTG cable to your phone.


Same problem for me, the left and right parts of the touchscreen don’t respond anymore. It was first juste a small band (5mm) on the left side but the problem is getting worse… As the problem is clearly identified and the phone is under warranty, shouldn’t you send a spare part to the customers having this problem??? It’s almost impossible to use the phone normally in certain cases!