Parts of the touchscreen don't work - See first post for troubleshooting

Thanks for your reply. Holding down the power button only seemed to bring up options to turn off or reboot which of course I couldn’t select because the touchscreen is unresponsive. I tried turning the phone off by removing and replacing the battery but the problem remained when I started it up again.

This morning the screen was not even turning on. Tried holding power button again and this time it did reboot. To my relief the phone is now working. Yay!

Hello, the touch on my screen is not usable in the whole screen. If you can see on the screenshot, the left border does not work.

Know anyone how to solve this problem?

Thanks, André

Did you check the first post? If the steps mentioned there or in the corresponding support article:
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211351686-My-display-screen-is-not-working-properly
don’t help, you’ll have to contact support for a (warranty) replacement of the display module.

I have had the same problem. Bought a new display and now everything’s fine. :wink: I guess you really should contact the support; I tried so, too, at first and they responded reaaaaaally quickly. :slight_smile:

Yeah, they respond really quickly these days, but the problem is that the display modules are still not available… Hopefully the shipment from China will arrive soon.

…and once it does, I suspect the display modules will sell out in no time as everyone will buy a few extras, just in case… :wink:

It seems that those displays arrive quickly sometimes.

–> Out of stock/missing FP2 spare parts from online store (currently none :) )

Hi, This afternoon the screen on my FP2 started behaving very strangley. Nothing had happened to the phone before to prompt this. I was halfway through typing a message when all of a sudden I couldn’t use the keys on the far right of the screen - including send and question mark etc.
I switched it off and on again and when i came to unlock it it was automatically scrolling through the numbers 3, 6 and 9 and kelp locking me out for 5 incorrect tries. i wasn’t even touching the phone while it was doing this.
I have removed the screen and reattached it it just i case that was causing the problem, but it still persisted.
Any ideas?

I moved your post here. Please check the first post for some pointers.

1 Like

Hi there,
I noticed yesterday that whenever i press the letter ‘d’, then instead ‘s’ and ‘f’ are displayed on the screen. When press ‘x’, i get 'cz’
This happens with Gmail, Facebook Messenger and sms. I also tried to use different keyboards. I currently use an English UK Gboard. I tried the English UK Android keyboard too.
I saw that this was mentioned under the ‘ghost touch’ topic, but i’m not having that issue now.
I hope the screen doesn’t need to be replaced. I didn’t see any way to tackle this in the ‘maintenance’ apps.

Anyone else seen this problem? It’s still not possible to type ‘d’ and ‘x’.

This sounds like parts of the screen aren’t working - I’ve moved your post to the relevant topic; see the first post in this topic on how to test (and a link to the official support article).

2 Likes

Hello Johannes, thanks for moving the topic. The troubleshooting steps worked for me.
I removed the screen, then cleaned the connectors and reattached the screen. Then it worked fine! : )
One happier Fairphone2 user. : )

@Johannes Unfortunately, the issue came back again today. I already tried to remove and replace the screen after cleaning the contacts, but that didn’t work. I’ll raise a support issue.

I know what to do. Its just that… I already have had a new fp2 for another defect. Getting a 3rd would kind of spoil the endurability feelgood aspect of owning a fairphone. Ah well. Hope they agree on only sending a screen.

Same Problem, but after 14 months. One quarter on the left screenside isn’t responding at all. Did run the screen test.
Hope to get a good answer from the support team as well.

1 Like

Is there any insight if this issue has been fixed for good in new displays? I already had this issue twice and I’m not head over toes about the idea to send back the display every 6 month or so… :confused:

Same here, have had a couple of new displays already. I’d be very interested in knowing about what exactly breaks inside the display.
Are the failures mechanically induced? Moisture? Shock? Temperature? Is there any way to prolong lifetime of the display?

I have the same issue. Luckily I have enough functioning area to be able to workaround most problems this causes, as long as it doesn’t get worse.
After a fairly slow but polite process, support have offered to send a replacement screen. The only problem is that they have discontinued manufacture and are waiting for a new improved version to arrive. At least this is good news for the future!
Also, it is very good news that they are prepared to replace a part which is 16 months old — anyone else would say this is out of warranty. Thanks FairPhone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I probably got some good news. After 2 month suffering from this well discribed malfunction of the touchscreen, all of a sudden the screen works as if nothing had happend.

In march I tried to fix it (dismounted the screen, cleaned the connections, etc) without any effect. And two days ago - as I almost got used to this uncomfortable situation - the touchscreen is as good as new.
I can’t explain it - I’m just super happy - wish you luck your phones aswell spontaneously repair themselves.

left screenshot shows ‘dead areas’ and the right one proofes everythings fine again;)

I just want to connect to people that have the same problem. I got my third display module 6 month ago and now it started again. I got the same info, that they are waiting for a new delivery of display modules.

I would also be interested in finding out more about what causes the error.
Seems like it mostly effects the outer left and right parts of the screen. And I also experienced the “deterioration” - it starts with one stripe and then a second and then random touches…

I still use the old bumper (dust it allow more dust to get into the phone?).

(the left part of the screen is not working)

I have also this problem, the whole right part doesn’t work. It’s really annoying when i’m typing and to swipe to the left. Does anyone know what to do? Because I tried to remove the screen, tried to reboot but nothing could help.