Option to limit charging to maximum 80%

Worry is the killer, so probbaly really bad vibes :slight_smile:

Of course it’s also down to how often the battery is charged, as in cycles. Maybe Google is demanding so much, yes that’s it ~ blame Google ~ they can take it.

As a matter of fact it’s fairly easy once you root your phone indeed.
There’s a Magisk module to download named Advanced Charge Controler and optionnaly the corresponding GUI application of the same name on F-Droid.

Then you can configure it all the way you want.

2 Likes

Probably because you didn’t leave it on the charger. Some people like to have their phone constantly charged “ready to go”

Awesome! Some people may want to not root due to security and also I’m curious if Advanced Charge Controller would work the same way or has any other repercussions, will have to look into it.

1 Like

I did, I used a Pixel Stand. Which is a wireless charger for your phone. It basically turns your phone into a Google Home device. It was happily sitting on that Stand for a whole day when I was working at my desk. I really abused that battery a lot. Not really by choice. The battery was very small, so charging it whenever you can ensured you always had enough battery life.

1 Like

No, it won’t work on a non-rooted phone. The battery settings are only accessible under root.

I don’t know if by “work the same way” you mean compared to the native feature we can find on some devices ?

I read somewhere - I’m sorry you’ll got to take my word for it as that’s my best source :smiley: - that ACC was essentially using the same mechanism than is used in native feature, which is raising a flag at low level kernel parameter basically sayin: “yep i’m charged, we’re done here” to the OS when the threshold value was reached.

I’ve been using it for a while on multiple devices with no issue. It behaves just as expected.

1 Like

Been there. Pixel 3 was the best phone I ever had if in terms of smoothness, os experience, form factor, build quality
 but that battery
 that battery
 you didn’t have to push far to get it wasted, even on day 1 the thing couldn’t hold a full day of basic usage.

Sorry for off topic.

1 Like

My previous Samsung A42 5G got the option to limit to 85% with the recent Android 12 upgrade.

I thought it was maybe an Android new option.

You had/have a Samsung proprietary option, not an Android one and Fairphone haven’t developed it. You would have to root the phone and use a third party app to exploit such options

1 Like

I noticed later the battery estimation was bad and the real capacity was around 70% after testing it again. So no, indeed. But then the FP2 battery runs out quite fast when in use, so one might need to charge it more often. Oh well, reading further, it seems to be the same on Pixel 3 :smiley:

1 Like

A link to a test I did on another device as I could carry it out on the Fairphone.

My girlfriend’s Samsung phone has this as well, I really hope Fairphone adds this feature.

I wonder if any custom ROMs have it? CalyxOS or something?

Given Fairphone’s own advice I am a little surprised they have not implemented such.

However this is a user foum and hopeing that Fairphone even read your post is pushing the grounds of possibility.

If you truly want this sort of thing and want Fairphone to do it for you, rather that install an app to help, then you had best contact Fairphone officially and ask them why they have not done so etc.

Situations vary, but we recommend to keep the charge of your battery between 80% and 20% at all times to keep it longer. So there is no need to always have it topped off to 100%, but do not wait until 1% is left, either!

Quick charge and fast charge are possible and convenient, but does not extend the lifetime of your battery. Slow charge does. So like taking care of babies: regularity and moderation will last you a longer time!
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405865857425-FP4-Maximize-battery-lifespan

support@fairphone.com

Yeah, hoping they notice things posted on their own forum is certainly expecting too much of a company.

That is what I’m try to communicate, it is not their forum, it is a user’s forum.

It’s like the government may make money but the use is yours, they are only interested in taxing unless you make a direct complaint the the the government.

Fairphone did not create the sub-domain and install the Discourse for them to listen to the user but to provide a space for the users to ‘speak’ to each other.

Of course Fairphone like any other person they look in, just as the government can to my bank accounts, but it is not something they continuously monitor.

There are of course red flags that get attention but wanting an app to limit charging is unlikely to raise any flag.

Iode has it defintely
I dont think Calyx is available for the FP3

Sadly with the Android 12 update this feature is still missing. I was hoping for this one since it is the most sustainable one.

is not part of pure AOSP Android and must be implemented separately.
iodéOS has done this and works very well.

2 Likes

When your FP4 is rooted you could use ACC. see Releases · VR-25/acc · GitHub
If not AccuBattery app works quite well and notifies the user once a certain battery level is reached.

2 Likes