Option to limit charging to maximum 80%

I don’t know if by “work the same way” you mean compared to the native feature we can find on some devices ?

I read somewhere - I’m sorry you’ll got to take my word for it as that’s my best source :smiley: - that ACC was essentially using the same mechanism than is used in native feature, which is raising a flag at low level kernel parameter basically sayin: “yep i’m charged, we’re done here” to the OS when the threshold value was reached.

I’ve been using it for a while on multiple devices with no issue. It behaves just as expected.

1 Like

Been there. Pixel 3 was the best phone I ever had if in terms of smoothness, os experience, form factor, build quality… but that battery… that battery… you didn’t have to push far to get it wasted, even on day 1 the thing couldn’t hold a full day of basic usage.

Sorry for off topic.

1 Like

My previous Samsung A42 5G got the option to limit to 85% with the recent Android 12 upgrade.

I thought it was maybe an Android new option.

You had/have a Samsung proprietary option, not an Android one and Fairphone haven’t developed it. You would have to root the phone and use a third party app to exploit such options

1 Like

I noticed later the battery estimation was bad and the real capacity was around 70% after testing it again. So no, indeed. But then the FP2 battery runs out quite fast when in use, so one might need to charge it more often. Oh well, reading further, it seems to be the same on Pixel 3 :smiley:

1 Like

A link to a test I did on another device as I could carry it out on the Fairphone.

My girlfriend’s Samsung phone has this as well, I really hope Fairphone adds this feature.

I wonder if any custom ROMs have it? CalyxOS or something?

Given Fairphone’s own advice I am a little surprised they have not implemented such.

However this is a user foum and hopeing that Fairphone even read your post is pushing the grounds of possibility.

If you truly want this sort of thing and want Fairphone to do it for you, rather that install an app to help, then you had best contact Fairphone officially and ask them why they have not done so etc.

Situations vary, but we recommend to keep the charge of your battery between 80% and 20% at all times to keep it longer. So there is no need to always have it topped off to 100%, but do not wait until 1% is left, either!

Quick charge and fast charge are possible and convenient, but does not extend the lifetime of your battery. Slow charge does. So like taking care of babies: regularity and moderation will last you a longer time!
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405865857425-FP4-Maximize-battery-lifespan

support@fairphone.com

Yeah, hoping they notice things posted on their own forum is certainly expecting too much of a company.

That is what I’m try to communicate, it is not their forum, it is a user’s forum.

It’s like the government may make money but the use is yours, they are only interested in taxing unless you make a direct complaint the the the government.

Fairphone did not create the sub-domain and install the Discourse for them to listen to the user but to provide a space for the users to ‘speak’ to each other.

Of course Fairphone like any other person they look in, just as the government can to my bank accounts, but it is not something they continuously monitor.

There are of course red flags that get attention but wanting an app to limit charging is unlikely to raise any flag.

Iode has it defintely…I dont think Calyx is available for the FP3

Sadly with the Android 12 update this feature is still missing. I was hoping for this one since it is the most sustainable one.

is not part of pure AOSP Android and must be implemented separately.
iodéOS has done this and works very well.

2 Likes

When your FP4 is rooted you could use ACC. see Releases · VR-25/acc · GitHub
If not AccuBattery app works quite well and notifies the user once a certain battery level is reached.

2 Likes

That’s how I’ve been doing it essentially since I bought it ~1 year ago. It’s getting really tiresome tbh.

When charging I just check the state by pressing the power button briefly, been doing that for over two years on my FP3s; not tired yet :slight_smile:

Occasionally it reaches 100%, maybe once a month, but that isn’t going to wreck the battery etc.

In fact if you go by the recorded wear, it is arguable that it can reduce the wear…

I have been testing another battery on my laptop for nearly a year and every month or so I charge to 100% fo a few days, rather than the 78% I have set in the limiter.

Here is the data and latest graphs

Then you will probably need root and ACC as Magisk module

I am surprised battery sustainability gets so little attention,
because batteries with their needs for rare earths surely are the part which use most environmental resources.

Samsung or Sony and I think now also Apple have inbuilt battery-safer-modes which steer charging to the most sustainable times,
so I know that what I ask for is possible!

Your support told me that the best usage for the battery would be to keep it charged between 20-80%, so I tried out several apps for it.
Unfortunately, without rooting the phone, those apps only can warn you to charge the phone which sometimes is not heard and is really tedious and often comes at inconvenient times when using it fulltime daily.

So I already wrote to the Fairphone-support, suggesting to build that feature into the phone; but the answer I got was that users would not like it if they want the full accu-range.
However - for users who often stay at home, such a feature could be very valuable when using the 20-80% mode either as a “sustainable-battery-spare” mode, and when going out being able to switch it to “turbo-power” mode which charges the entire 100% and goes down to zero.

All I would love to do is to connect my phone to the charging cable and have a peace of mind without all that nagging hassle of connecting and disconnecting it multiple times daily.
In the past some desktop-computers had such turbo-modes.
I think especially Fairphone with its emphasis on environmental sustainability should implement this feature to make batteries last longer.

7 Likes

Yeah, i’d like such a feature as well. I was rooted before, but gave up with the upgrade (i’m running LOS, though), but in general, this would be a nice feature. And i can’t follow the reasoning, as the modern Samsung my wife is using has this feature (check box 'battery health*or something like that, reportedly, there are more manufactures building that in. Probably for escaping possible regulations regarding sustainability). It’s also in the iodé OS, so i thought about porting it to LOS, but this goes over my head… I bought a hardware device (chargie.org), but that’s a kinda expensive solution…

5 Likes

Do they not know about the existence of toggles? :smile:

Please note that this is a community forum. There is only a very little chance that a FP employee (with the authority to change this behavior) will notice this post.

6 Likes