Old and new camera photo comparison + new module general discussion

I´m using the 7.4.104.314953318, I think it´s the Nikita_GCam (NGCam_7.4.104-V1.6.apk). I tested the V1.7, but that wasn´t stable on my FP3. The Cam-Apps I´m using are the ProShot and the Nikita. I tested the OpenCamera, too but that wasn´t mine. And some other free Cam-Apps, too.

1 Like

Are there any updates for better image processing on the camera? Just curious.

5 Likes

That is what I would like to know myself. Software upgrade vs hardware upgrade to me is the greenest way which is where 2020 phones rule the day while FP advertises 48MP upgrade that does nothing, very old-fashioned thinking to say the least. FP has to have a strong software department, it is not negotiable anymore I think. With that said the camera on the phone does the job as does the device itself, but the whole package is simply not attractive. It is always a good time for a new strategy.

2 Likes

Just installed

NGCam_8.1.101-v1.0 (Nikita, 2021-02-19, configs)

So much better than the stock camera app :slight_smile: in terms of lack of graining.

Out of curiosity, has anyone performed experiments with old v new hardware using a camera app with better image processing than either FP3 stock or Open Camera (such as Google Camera ports)? I have a feeling that the differences will probably come out more here.

Aside:
I think in an ideal world, there would be an open source Android camera with fast image processing that is better than the FP3 stock camera app, so that we know exactly what we are comparing, but I think we may be able to settle this

Edit: Looks like compression on upload is taking the banding that I see on my phone display out of the image, although more high frequency noise is visible in the stock camera photo… Could it also be a function of how the phone displays the image? One example of an issue I’ve found with stock FP3 camera app (with both old and new 3+ hardware): strange banding in certain images, which is not present in the preview:

Comparison Pic with Google camera:

Not to say that it isn’t good enough for many purposes, check out this picture taken in Antelope Island State Park, UT:

3 Likes

Di you have the original, or FP3+ module?

Dear @formerFP.Com.Manager, it’s been a year since you posted this. Any news at all?

Apologies missed your query FP3+

@formerFP.Com.Manager any news to share on this topic ?:slightly_smiling_face:. Would also like to know if some of the software work you’re doing on fairphone 4 camera app will benefit Fairphone 3 :thinking:.

@formerFP.Com.Manager still curious about the camera software. Will we see some improvements with the coming android 11 update?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.