Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 (unknown caller and zero brightness bugs)

You may want to create a new thread for your concern, or maybe a moderator creates a thread for you, because it is a different issue…

Mh, no, I don’t think so.
It is the announcement of the latest update.
And a fairphone-employee is the thread-owner.
I can’t think of a better thread to address directly to fairphone that the download-package for manual/offline installs of this update is faulty.

You have expressed your concern to the owner of the thread by directly addressing her, which you could have done in another thread as well.

This thread originally has been an announcement of an update, and deals with issues that came along with it. Unfortunately there are quite some. It was not intended to discuss desired binaries/enhancements. You would get far more attention if you express your concern in a new thread…

Hi,
is there any update/solution to the bug with the display dropping zero and the incoming “unknown” calls?
I’m almost tired of waiting for it and handling with work-arounds.
Best regards
Georg

4 Likes

My solution was: buying another smartphone (not fair, not repairable but working!).

Sorry Fairphone but that was too much for me! I dont have all the time in the world to wait for your Update! The first report of the “unknown caller bug” was on 02.09.21 now is 12.10.21. This is unbelivable!!

I need the telephone for work not ( just) for a good conscience.

8 Likes

This is getting ridiculous. Once again. “As soon as possible”? Your devs could have reverted the changes to adaptive brightness that nobody bothered to test and push an update in a day. Here we are six weeks later. FP seem to have a different perception of time. Like with the camera software improvements that you said would come “in the coming weeks” more than a year ago.

8 Likes

Not sure that was an option. I’m sure if it was that easy it would have been done.

That’s what I’m not so sure about… Anyway, I don’t want to get into an argument. This is just really frustrating, from a consumer and a person-wanting-FP-to-succeed perspective. I don’t want to speculate. If there is a reason a seemingly simple thing is taking so long, it can’t be all that difficult for FP to put that reason in a sentence and post it here.

5 Likes

I agree that this was poor testing on Fairphone’s side. With some proper testing, by e.g. a beta tester community (not just an automated pipeline), this issue was spotted and reported before wider release. This is really something Fairphone needs to setup. What do you think @formerFP.Com.Manager? It will boost the quality of the releases and keeps the users happy.

4 Likes

I imagine they are way busy with rolling out the new Fairphone 4, but I’m not ready to accept that as an excuse so many years after starting the company.
For a project that wants to make the world a better place it just seems they have their priorities a little off…
And what I find REALLY annoying is that they send you the same useless consumer messages as any other company will do these days, along the line of “thank you for your message and patience and we are sorry and very soon we will have an update for you” bla bla bla…
From a company that expects us to pay more for their phones I on the other hand expect more than the usual marketing bullshit.

13 Likes

Same here! It’s annoying that I can’t see who is calling but it’s a big problem that I can’t see who tried to call me. Friends can deal with that but business partners don’t know it and don’t call twice. I need a solution soon!!!

2 Likes

You you buy a second SIM, a pay as you go on a network that works, then give this number to your business partners and ask them to call you on the new number.

thanks amoun, but your suggestion isn’t an option for me.

4 Likes

@formerFP.Com.Manager When will the fix come? If the root causes had been found three weeks ago it’s about time now. It’s been long enough now! I didn’t pay the extra cash for untested updates. This is just NOT FAIR!

5 Likes

Fairphone support, the same question as the previous user. When do you expect to release a fix for this? To not see who has been calling means not being able to callback a person, which is to say the least a big obstacle.

5 Likes

@formerFP.Com.Manager Since about 1.5 month I have to adjust the brightness multiple times a day due to the bug in the latest update. I’m really wondering why you don’t release a hotfix that fixes just this big annoyance. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

5 Likes

Just received this after asking for any updates:

"We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience that this situation has caused you, but please know our technical team is working hard on implementing a fix.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with an estimated period for when it will be released, but as soon as there is any update, we’ll let you know.

If you have any other questions in the meanwhile, please reach out to me, I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Again, thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience."

Makes you wonder how their customer treatment is any different from any other major company… throwing marketing bullshit at us. Very disappointing.
I’d rather have them say “we’re over our heads in problems and can’t get shit figured out, please bear with us”
At least that would probably be more honest.
Oh well…

7 Likes

I totally agree. This communication is in the worst way “professional”,
and on the other hand it is very unprofessional not to have an estimated bugfix date after several weeks of knowing the cause of the bug.

@formerFP.Com.Manager I’m very disappointed. At least I would expect some kind of pro-active and open communication.

5 Likes

After all those weeks and the statement that they found what’s wrong with it … i suspect that they didn’t found shit! But please fp… prove me wrong!.. In the meantime what they do is wanking out marketing-bs for the FP4. I can see that on instagram. A hotfix could have been done with a rollback to a previous working release till propper fix for the borked one.

4 Likes

That would have deleted necessary security updates, so no feasible solution.