Official LineageOS 20 for FP3/FP3+

The new image is up and installed fine. Thanks for the work.

I make my first OTA update with LineageOS 20.
Firstly I have the updater bug describe by @fwg-cag. I clean the storage of updater app like indicate, but after I had reconfigured my precedent updater preference, I experiment again the bug. If I uncheck Prioritise update process updater work again.

So I start update with Newpipe video in background. After the second step other apps which not running can’t be launched. Updater go to the end. I restart but not in the new update.

I try again without newpipe launch. Some apps crash, but the process goes to the end. I reboot in the new update.

I experienced when I shut down my phone with newpipe work, long vibration and then automatic reboot, maybe the first fail is due to that. Someone have this behavior when the phone is shut down with a high load of memory ?

Apps can still access the front camera if camera-access is blocked (through QuickSettings-Tile) on my phone. Could someone check if it is the same for him/her?

I am asking because I use iodéOS (based on LOS) and I would like to know if it is a LOS-, iode- or "me-"problem, so I can report it to the right place.

Thanks in advance :smiling_face:

When i deactivate camera access, the camera apps state that fact and ask me whether it should be overridden. No image delivered

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. So always install Apps on the internal storage?

You should switch your SD card from internal storage to external/portable storage to avoid the problems you have experienced. See :pencil2: A little guide to… using SD cards - Help / Guides - Fairphone Community Forum and the references included there …

3 Likes

Maybe it too soon to close the LOS 19 topic. Sorry that I have to ask here: Before moving to LOS 20, I would like to make a backup on LOS 19. So what I did is that I flashed twrp-3.7.0_9-0-FP3 and booted it. But then it doesn’t ask me to decrypt my data so via MTP my internal storage shows only the encrypted files and more importantly, it can’t create a backup. And I can’t copy files via MTP.

Note: removing phone lock code doesn’t help.

Note: when I have TWRP flashed, LOS 19 doesn’t boot anymore. I have to flash a lineage recovery or have TWRP on slot b and switch back to slot a to have LOS boot again. Maybe this problem is related?

Maybe also there is another way to do a full backup and I’m using a deprecated strategy? (seedvault still depends on apps authorizing backup of my data :rage: so it doesn’t seem to be much useful that adb backup, besides having a GUI)

edit: I could use neobackup but it need to root and before installing magisk i would like to do a backup since the procedure is a bit scary. So, catch 22… Or maybe there are people that did it the simple (but not recommended) way of renaming the magisk .apk to .zip and flashed it either via TWRP or via sideload-flash with LOS recovery?

First, you don’t need to flash twrp, you can just boot it temporarily. That’s good enough for all practical purposes ™, IMHO. I thick i remember that twrp cannot decrypt data at the moment. Seems to be your problem. And apps that forbid backup tend to not work restored, in my experience. Because they tie their data on some unique rom/install id. Especially notorious are banking apps and crypto messenger.
That’s why i use apps which take their data from my nextcloud instance or can (automatically) create exports which are automatically backed up to nextcloud.

Rather you must not flash it!

2 Likes

@tuxayo adb backup is depreceted and on app that use high sdk target don’t run… seedvault can backup such apps. So it’s not only a graphical difference.

1 Like

Hi
I’m trying to update from LOS20 (april 3), but updater fails with an “Install error” message just after the finalizing stage has started.
I tried looking in logcat an found the lines below. What could be the problem here?

05-10 19:58:48.518  1274  1274 W update_engine: [WARNING:utils.cc(578)] Unable to mount destination device /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system_a on /postinstall as ext4: Device or resource busy (16)
05-10 19:58:48.530  1274  1274 E update_engine: [ERROR:utils.cc(582)] Unable to mount /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system_a with any supported type

Upgrade to the may 15 release did work… The finalize stage took a long time but succeeded. I still don’t know why it failed last time when I tried multiple times, after rebooting my phone etc.

1 Like

In case somebody faces issues with Apps not running because rooted device is detected, e.g. banking apps, this is how I could workaround such an issue:

I’m running LineageOS for Micro-G with locked bootloader w/o additional modifications (su, busybox, Magisk etc.). Since microG also supports SafetyNet nearly all Apps are running fine. I only had one modern banking app that complained about a rooted device. A closer look in logcat revealed that they use the OSS RootBeer library for the checks and it complains about dangerous properties. Specifically ro.debuggable which is set to 1. Nicely RootBeer provides a sample application that shows a list of all the checks and which are failing. Luckily this was the only one.

The debuggable flag is set because build variant userdebug was used instead of user as default for the built images. I don’t have a need for userdebug but I also don’t want to build images by myself, so I checked for ways to manually change that on the already installed system. Seems that there are Magisk modules available for that, but it is not an option with locked bootloader (at least I guess Magisk will not work in that case). I fell over this reddit thread which provided a surprisingly simple solution:

• Connect the device via adb
  • adb root
  • adb remount
  • adb shell
  • mount -o rw,remount /
  • nano /system/build.prop
    • Change ro.debuggable to 0
    • Change ro.build.type to user
    • Ctrl-O and Ctrl-X to save and exit.
  • mount -o ro,remount / just to be safe
  • Reboot device.

Now the RootBeer sample app changed green and the affected banking app started working fine. My biggest surprise was, that even after upgrading to LOS 20 the modifications are preserved and everything still works fine. So I also assume that all this also works if already upgraded before. Maybe this helps some of you as well.

4 Likes

I‘m running the FP3 with a locked bootloader and official LOS19. If I like to switch to LOS20 must I open up the bootloader again or can I flash recovery and rom without?

@sky Is the build in updater of LOS not working?

Anybody else with that phenomenon?

When the pop-up “xy does not react” (loosely translated from German) with the option terminate, wait, and eventually also feedback, and you click wait, and the app is back again working, the pop-up still regularly opens again. Only possibility is to really terminate the app, otherwise you won’t get rid of the pop-up

Eyup, some months ago I noticed this behavior 2 or 3 times (on LOS-based iodéOS).

I had the same configuration. I didn’t open the bootloader again. I fallowed the wiki upgrade instruction and that work.

@lklaus I haven’t noticed yet

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I also did the upgrade without issues following the official procedure.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP3/upgrade

1 Like

Yes. I get this, too.