Official LineageOS 18.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Hello, since the LOS 17.1 thread is closed, I’ll post here: when abroad I do not have mobile internet while roaming.

I have had this issue with two carriers: Italian CoopVoce (this issue has already been highlighted on the LOS community), and also Spanish Llamaya.

While in Spain I could only get data from Llamaya (and not CoopVoce), when in a third country I could not use either data.

Hello. I’m very happy with LOS 18.1 :slight_smile:. Thanks again to the developers and testers!

Only thing I’m missing is the split screen feature (that I used to be able to access by holding down the ‘recent apps’ button). From what I see it should still work on Android 11. Do I need to enable it somewhere? I have had a look through the regular and developer settings, but can’t see anything obvious.

You can map this function to a button in: Settings > System > Buttons

1 Like

maybe slightly off-topic but I’m having issues installing magisk after upgrading to 18.1, I’ve extracted the boot.img from the 20210811-microG payload and then patched it using the magisk app, but I’m unable to fastboot flash the patched file, I get:

> fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_aZEYN.img
fastboot: error: boot partition is smaller than boot image

any ideas why? seems to have worked for other people in this thread!

I am not sure but maybe adding the slot you wanna flash might work, like this:
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched-23000_aZEYN.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched-23000_aZEYN.img

2 Likes

Ah. Perfect. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks so much!

that did the trick, thanks a lot!

@TeamB58
Thank you for asking.
I’ve upgraded to LOS 18.1 with MicroG (lineage-18.1-20210811-microG-FP3.zip) with this manual:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP3/upgrade
Everything worked fine, but the stock camera app disappeared after upgrading and I can’t access the camera at all. When I try to use the torch Lineage says it can’t be activated, because it’s already in use by the camera.

When you say it’s already been fixed and I just have to wait 'till the next buildt is finished, I’m fine with that :wink:

I don’t have this issue.
Anybody else facing this issue?

Also can you check if camera is shown in list of installed apps?

@TeamB58

@juri.gagarin.ii had the same issue. The person said…

This morning I flashed LOS4microG to the other slot and booted it and now I have my camera back and both apps are working fine.

I have no idea how to do that and if I’ll lose my personal data. The information in this forum are so much wide spreaded - it’s hard to pick the right information.
…and yes: the stock camera app is listed under “App info” within the settings.

Differing from @_Julian’s experience, my camera wasn’t shown in the installed apps in the settings. As I have it back, I can’t post a screenshot, but when I was missing the camera, it had disappeared not only from the App grid in the launcher but also from the settings.

Does Galileo work for anyone by the way? The best I can get is seeing satellite ID 21 show up in the list of satellites whenever it’s above the horizon, but never any more no matter how long I leave GPS on for.

A friend living nearby (same view of the sky) with a different phone, whose manufacturer didn’t even list Galileo support ironically enough, has no problem using the satellites. I wonder if it’s the same for all Fairphones or if I just have a rotten apple.

You can check this with GPSTest from either F-Droid or Google Play, if you don’t already have a gnss testing application.

I am sorry. I cannot support for issues with the microG version because I am not much aware of it and have not used it.

As of this camera issue, in LOS we are using Snap as the default camera app which should be available for everyone.

@_Julian , would be good to have some logs when you first boot after update so that we can see of something is going wrong with respect to the app.

During my upgrade I did not have this and that is the reason the auto brightness is listed as the only known issue.

I shall update if I get some pointers on that.

Thanks.

Hi @TeamB58
I really appreciate your help a lot!
I think I’ve solved it on my own now. It was the easiest fix I’ve ever experienced: A restart.
The android stock camera (com.android.camera2) came back to my app collection and is working like it was never gone.

Since the micro g version of LOS shouldn’t touch the camera and its apps at all, its still a mystery to me.

I’m very sorry for the hassle and next time I’ll reboot my phone twice after installing an upgrade.

Thank you!

OK. One quick question to all users.

My personal opinion is to include/introduce FairphoneCamera as replacement to the current one. What’s all of your opinion?

It’s quite difficult to get that one as they have lot of dependency on proprietary blobs. But we can still give a try.

3 Likes

I’m using opencamera, and happy with it for what i need, but it might be reasonable to assume that there might be the one or another useful tweak hidden in the Fairphone cam…

For me, OpenCamera takes ages to focus and shoot, but maybe I have something misconfigured.

1 Like

I never really used Fairphone OS, but I remember a lot of people complaining about the bad quality of the pictures taken with stock camera app. Has this changed in the meantime?

No, that’s a known downside of OpenCamera. I must say it’s one of the things that finally decided me to use Snap, the stock LOS camera (which when well configured is actually quite as good) on my FP2.

The one that came with LOS is extremely basic (panorama and slow motion I think most people expect, especially if the hardware advertises with 120 fps recordings), so replacing it with either stock or third party makes sense to me. So it would be nice, but if it’s a lot of work as you say, there are plenty of other apps out there that can replace the features (sometimes also proprietary, but just like those dependencies you mention).
Might be good to instead just have some recommendations so not everyone has to compare the many camera apps available.