Official LineageOS 18.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Use the instructions from this website. Just sideload the zip file on the phone and the included install script does everything for you.

I donā€™t think this would change anything, since thatā€™s what I did too.
btw: it is not recommended to download Magisk anywhere else than from the developers on GitHub: GitHub - topjohnwu/Magisk: The Magic Mask for Android

Do you have these problems in the 20210809-nightly build from LineageOS?

If so, can anyone else confim this?

Iā€™d love some confirmation as well. Planning to flash LineageOS 18.1 with OpenGapps. At this time, Iā€™m not planning to flash Magisk.

Things I absolutely need to be working:

• Bluetooth
  • NFC
  • GPS

Things Iā€™d love to have working:

• Auto brightness

But apart from that, the ROM should absolutely be stable and not just randomly freeze, crash, refuse to boot, or anything.

If anyone can add their experience, it would be absolutely appreciated, otherwise Iā€™ll wait for the ROM to become more stable and less buggy, because right now, based on reading this forum, it doesnā€™t seem ready for daily use.

I reflashed my device again and: confirmed

How to:

• just flash Lineage
  • confirm at boot: factory reset
  • skip everything and (just) enable adb
  • vanilla LOS recovery is really suitable for flashing gapps, TWRP, and Magisks ;o)

With the release from yesterday is bluethooth working

Thanks, what about GPS, NFC, and auto brightness?

1 Like

I can confirm the upgrade process worked very well with original recovery and without any additional stuff like magisk, or gapps, as i donā€™t use it. All my data was as it was on 17.1 after the upgrade. Bluetooth is working, but autobrightness sometimes flips around and is setting the lowest value. i use the manual setting for now. On 17.1 i had problems with the loudness of phone calls. With the current release i have them, too. Calls on the loud speaker are way too loud and the lowest setting is changing only a little, still too loud. Can some one confirm that? 18.1 is stable on my phone so far, thanks to all contributors! <3 FF3.

For me gps is working. I also tested NFC, but i think the result is inconclusive. After the first test com.android.nfc seemed to hang. Unfortunately i wasnā€™t angle to get a logcat from that event. I simply killed that process from the shell. Second time i was able to read my German identity card.
I wouldnā€™t rely on it, in the moment, except somebody has more thorough testing possibility. My watch is fine with Bluetooth

Thank you for testing those things.

Hi everyone thx for your excellent work. I have upgraded last week to 18.1 on my FP3+ and had each and every possible technical issue so far :smiley: so I was really looking forward to the last OTA released yesterday. However, when it gets to the finalization of the installation process the ā€˜Updatesā€™ app would crash and it remains stuck to 0%, so thereā€™s no way I can actually install it. Is it just me? Any clue as to how troubleshoot this? Iā€™ve already trying cleaning caches and rebooting but it didnā€™t work. Thank you again!

Thank you very much from my side as well!
I had some problem to flash the recovery - only with ā€˜fastboot flash:raw boot recovery.imgā€™ (and the renamed trwp file) I had after several hours misfortune the chance to flash the recovery and finally LOS.
But now I have two problems first of all I cannot find the possibility to restart in recovery - is this missing? If so this is a real hindrance in using fairphone for me. Second after installing LOS I have the LOS recovery back and there is only the possibility to apply update via sideload, the other possibility is outgreyed and cannot be activated. In TWRP you could flash files (like Magisk) from your external sd-card as well. Have others these problems as well or has my FP3 a problem?

Nope I had the same, in fact upgrading through sideload didnā€™t work for me, I had to do a clean install. Besides, TWRP and Magisk disappear after each OTA (so you have only the Lineage recovery tool available) unless you use the TWRP a/b retention script that you can download in Magisk before each OTA (here, definitely recommended!). In fact, my plan was to use for this one OTA but cannot seem to get the LOS updater to work & finalize the process

Ok quick update. I managed to update the system after rebooting once again but then magisk and twrp were both gone. I thus proceeded to the OTA update which went flawless, I also tested GPS and Bluetooth (working flawlessly now, thank you!), yet I cannot seem to make the TWRP install work (here). Every time after booting the image it goes to twrp, then the phone shuts down during the decryption process. Sometimes I managed to bypass this issue using the fastboot key combination (power + down) but it doesnā€™t seem to work now. So now I canā€™t have TWRP nor flash Magisk. Any clue about how to address this? Thx so much for your patience and work!
[Another minor bug I have since 17.1 is that the icons of the apps installed on the external memory disappear after every reboot]

Thank you! But how did you manage to keep trwp after flashing LOS?
And has anybody managed to flash Nanodroid microG via Magisk? Iā€™m now stuck in boot

Iā€™m following the recommendation to not flash twrp on a/b devices, i just boot it when needed.
For the rest, before flashing i prepared the voot image with magisk, then

Fastboot - boot twrp: sideload lineage, reboot to fastboot - boot twrp: flash opengapps, reboot to fastboot: flash magisk-boot.img and reboot

The problem is with this LOS recovery you have to use sideload which does not work very well with me - due to unstable USB connections with my PC (I have updated the driver, anyway) so I prefer to flash via external SD-Card which works with other LOS recoveries (for example on my very old Note 3 with LOS 18.1 recovery) - but not with this one. Donā€™t know why.
But OK I found out, flashing TRWP after LOS and before reboot works I have TRWP recovery back.

You still can boot twrp from the bootloader and flash from sd card or internal memory. Would still not need to install twrp. Just saying

Sounds interesting but how do you do that?

On the command line, do

fastboot boot /path/to/twrp.img

to load the TWRP image to device RAM and boot directly from there. I also cannot recommend flashing TWRP images to the device (using fastboot flash ...).

1 Like