Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

This sounds very interesting.
Are there any limitations by running a ‘user’ build on FP3?
Does a locked bootloader still allow sideload updates or how do i update private builds?
Could a ‘user’ build be updated to a ‘userdebug’ if needed for some reasons in future?

I am not aware of any limitations (other than the ‘desired limitations’ of not being able to run adb as root, and adb being disabled by default).

Since LOS officially only tests/supports userdebug builds, in theory there is a risk that some things might not work - but I have not encountered any problems so far.

See also https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/8co63o/to_user_or_to_userdebug/

Yes, adb sideloading is still possible in recovery. To update, I reboot into recovery, and sideload my private builds there.

I haven’t tried this, but I believe you can easily switch between the two - sideloading a ‘userdebug’ build to update a ‘user’ build should work.

4 Likes

Hi,

i have a bug when using a sdcard.
When the card is inserted the phone (FP3+) boots normal, but after unlocking the screen there is this overlay saying “phone is starting” and after a short time it reboots.
There is data on the card.

Hi & welcome here in our community :slight_smile:
Are you using LOS 16.1 or LOS 17.1?
Have you formatted the sd card as external or internal
storage?
Android sometimes has some troubles handling sd cards as internal storage. And since sd cards can go corrupt, there’s a high risk of data loss.
This might be the case here, too. Have you tried it with a different sd card?

2 Likes

Thank you.
I’m using LOS17.1.
Installed as external.
Did not try using another card. So I will try to reformat the card and start with an empty card.
I will report back if this helps.

After reformatting the sdcard it seems to work. Maybe there have been problems with the amount of data being on the sdcard (~55gb/64gb).

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! The bug with the sdcard is very “interesting” - it would have been very nice to have an adb logcat dump of what happened there or be able to reproduce this somehow.

1 Like

@dk1978: From a security perspective, it would make sense to relock the bootloader after installing LineageOS. Does this also make sense from a LineageOS perspective in your opinion?

SecureBoot currently seems disabled on FP3.

Sure, it makes sense and people have done it successfully, see above.

You are referring to Android Verified Boot? That is normally disabled so that people can install OpenGapps after installing LineageOS.

When you boot into the bootloader, you see the text at the bottom “SECURE BOOT - disabled” This is what I was referring to.

I’ll try to reproduce this by copying nearly the same amount of data, as I cannot restore the same.
If the bug occurs again I get back.

There it is: https://download.lineageos.org/FP3 \o/

Do we need to update the vendor partition or anything? Or can I just update from 16.0?

Can’t wait for the microG build to be available.
Thanks @dk1978 for putting so much work into this!

5 Likes

Yes, thanks @dk1978!
I am also waiting for the build with microG and then install asap.

That might be interesting. With Fairphone 2 I found it usually found the location fast enough even with Fairphone OpenOS. It took a bit longer at times but especially if I select the area I am in in OSMAnd it usually had it within half a minute or minute. Without mobile network or WLAN connection that is. I used that together with the F-Droid app LocationPrivacy, just allowing OSMAnd access. But I do not remember why I installed LocationPrivacy.

Anyway, first thing is to backup the few photos I made while using the unofficial image and then to flash the official image, now that it is there. Thanks again. A happy, peaceful and healthy new year to you all!

Anyone knows whats going on with the MicroG Lineage builds? On the website they claim to provide weekly OTAs, but looking at the download section no device received an update since 11th of december and even before that there were only monthly updates.

I just dont want to get stuck on a rom that does not receive updates. Are the MicroG Lineage Roms safe to receive updates? At least monthly? Thanks.

Yes it’s finally there! Are there any good guides on the installation procedure coming from FairphoneOS?

It gets updated every month, you can be sure about that.

The procedure described for the old, unofficial LineageOS ROM should still work.
You can find it over here: [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for FP3
The steps to unlock your FP3s bootloader can be found here: https://www.fairphone.com/en/bootloader-unlocking-code-for-fairphone-3/

2 Likes

Secure boot cannot be enabled (as far as I know).

There are other steps you can take to increase the security:

• lock the boot loader
  • sign builds with your own keys (instead of the google test keys)
  • enable verity mode (disabled in LOS)
  • create a ‘user’ build (instead of ‘userdebug’)

But keep in mind that security will always be limited by the disabled secure boot and the fact that EDL mode is easily accessible.

I’m interested in verity mode. Do you have resources on why it is disabled in LOS? How can I enable it in my own build and what are the consequences? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi there! First of all, thank you for your work Daniel! I’ve been using Lineage 17 since today and everything works so far. But I get the feeling that not everything is running as smoothly as with version 16 - who else has the problem? I deleted everything before the installation and then reinstalled version 17 via recovery.

Cheers

1 Like