Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

I would wait a while. Even if 18.1 will be released I will wait till opengapps are available. Because I like the different packages they have and I need some google functions.

How would I do that? I’ve just looked into the archive that can be downloaded for manual FairphoneOS install over here and it does not look like I would be able to do a partial manual flash using these files. At least not for all the partitions you mentioned here

At least some of the partitions are either not present or in a format that I don’t know how to handle.

Technically speaking the archive I downloaded isn’t an OTA after all so where would I find the actual OTAs that are shipped to FP3s?
I would be interested in creating either a script that would update said partitions ore create a flashable zip to do so. Would that theoretically be possible?

First of all, please note that the recent LineageOS OTA zip files contain all the partition images and install these automatically. You might not need to do anything manual at all.
Second, the FairphoneOS zip files do contain all the partition images as well, but with different file names and a mapping to translate the file names into partition labels. See the file partition.txt included in FP3-REL-Q-3.A.0101-20210420.163631-user-fastbootimag.zip as an example.

1 Like

Hi there
I have been using LineageOS for years on a Wileyfox Swift (codename: crackling).
As I remember, the LOS camera app on the Wileyfox had a built-in QR code reader.
I can’t find this feature on my FP3 with LOS, so I was wondering if it would be possible to integrate? This would come in handy for restaurant visits in corona time, where one has to registrate :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps, you can simply use Firefox which comes with a built-in QR code reader (you just have to tap on to the address bar and a “scan” button will appear).

2020-06-05-12-14-20-bf870e

2 Likes

Most likely, they are using the Qualcomm Snap Camera app, which has QR reading according to this. There were attempts to use this app for LineageOS on FP3 as well, but no stable performance until now.

As there were also some attacks via qr codes I’m using a standalone qr reader from f-droid, to not just land on some website or whatever…

https://f-droid.org/packages/de.t_dankworth.secscanqr

2 Likes

Great tip, thanks. I use Firefox but never paid attention to that neat feature.

@dk1978 Thanks for the technical insight!

Is there some additional security feature in that standalone QR reader?

1 Like

Early versions of Firefox built-in QR code reader had indeed several vulnerabilities. They have been mitigated : for example, now Firefox allows you to check the link before it is loaded into the browser and some functionalities have been removed. That being said, even if I find Firefox’s QR reader acceptable, URLs might be more readable on a standalone QR code app.

@Adrian_D It seems that checking by yourself the links before you click on them (QR code or not) is the only safety net you’ll have. Did you check the link that I put on this message before clicking on it ? :wink:

Very nice app @lklaus. Personally, I use Binary Eye (also on f-droid) which seems to be lighter than SecScanQR, but still capable of reading and creating QR codes. Anyway, maybe I’ll change for the app you suggested : it has a lot of options !

2 Likes

For having tested both, I find Binary Eye much better for scanning (zooming or adapting the scan zone size).

2 Likes

as i don’t find any later post which helps me with the issue that upgraded camera+ does not work under 17.1 (May 31st) I would like to ask the question, if it should?
I am downloading 18.1 unofficial now to test (as I had to factory reset anyway)

I recommend using this 18.1 alpha release: Release 18.1 alpha release for testing · dk1978/android_device_fairphone_FP3 · GitHub

Also, would you mind giving more details? I don’t see any reasons the upgraded cameras for FP3+ should have any trouble, neither with 17.1 or the upcoming 18.1.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am not sure which details you mean. I bought a FP3 in Nov2019 installed LOS16.0 a year later. I received a camera+ module just the other day from someone who did not manage to get it to work and wanted to try for myself.

Any camera app (which can be found through fdroid) only gives me a picture for the selfie-cam. No option to switch cameras. As soon as I swap back to my old module, it works again.

18.1 alpha did not solve the problem (but i did not have to factory reset :+1: from 17.1)

If you wish for more details, please let me know where to find them.
But may be the module is just broken?

Maybe, or maybe just not connected properly. You might want to go through the Fairphone support videos and check if you missed a connection somewhere. Other than that I can look through the system logs and check for errors - send me a PM in that case.

Hello, I try to understand how kernel security patches are added in a LineageOS build. Is it up to the maintainers to add patches to the device specific kernel repositories or is there a mechanism in place which patches device kernels on a more device independent way? If you have some pointers where I can read more, please let me know.

Hi sepan, and welcome to the forum. Kernel updates are device maintainers (e.g. my own) responsibility and not put into place automatically. This is due to the messy state of the Linux kernel implementation in Android in general.

Hi Daniel, thank you for the information and your work. As I could not find information I thought that it is probably up to the device maintainers. I guess this is quite some work! Do you get information from Fairphone about relevant kernel patches?

No, unfortunately not - but I would not strictly need it either. There are various sources from which one can pull kernel updates and the most relevant is likely the Code Aurora MSM kernel forks. Here is a fairly decent description of the steps LineageOS people would take to look for kernel updates.

2 Likes

My phone has nearly the same life span. I also bought both + modules, and they worked already on 17.1

1 Like