Now the end of 2G is coming

The device is still usable without any mobile data. Its just a matter of perception of useful. Given the device is no longer supported by Qcomm, the radio’s are IMO not usable anymore, since they don’t receive firmware updates.

No sure I get it, but last firmware update is from 2019 I think, what would mean I should not be able to use my FP2, but I’m using it. Since 3G is dropped its set to 4G, so I have mobile data and when I make a call the phone uses 2G

Not be able to use it? You are able to use it.

But if you ask any security researcher they’d recommend against it.

The device is very likely vulnerable to KNOB, BIAS, and SweynTooth attacks.

(Then again they’d also recommend against IoT devices, and many people still use these.)

My point is that you, and everyone else, should make an informed decision.

1 Like

But 2G is still working, where 3G s dismantled and vice versa.

2 Likes

KNOB is CVE-2019-9506, which is part of the August 2019 patch level for Android 7+. As both FP2 and FP3(+) are on 2021 patch levels right now, I would assume both devices to be not vulnerable. The CVE number is even explicitly mentioned in the Fairphone OS 19.11.2 release notes.

I can’t find any information on BIAS / CVE-2020-10135 in the security bulletins.
EDIT: two other CVEs from BIAS (CVE-2020-26555 and CVE-2020-26558) are in the June 2021 patch level, which the FP2/3(+) have received as well. This page mentions AOSP, rather than the SoC vendors, as affected which means the update wouldn’t rely on Qualcomm support.

The SweynTooth page does not make any mention of vulnerabilities in devices with a Qualcomm SoC & Bluetooth chip.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.