Notification bar, home button not working, system ui tuner not visible

Hi, unfortunatetly not. Nothing helped, i think I have to do a reset…

Hi, Same more or less happend to my FP2 two weeks before. notification bar, home button and overview button dont work, dont get any notifications (missed calls, new messages etc.)
the camera cant be activated with the button on the right side of the phone. Moreover no email downloads and no downloads in google play store. No synchronizing of timer, of course Random reboots.
Fairphone OS 19.11.2./ android 7.1.2. Any solution from Fairphone. Thank you all.

1 Like

same problem with me - notification bar, home button and overview button dont work. plus i dont get any notifications (missed calls, new messages etc.) and the camera cant be activated with the button on the right side of the phone (as it usuallly did) - only opens with the camera app. any ideas, suggestions, solutions?

Exactly the same happened all of a sudden to my FP2 too. I think it was with or shortly after the upgrade to 19.11.2
Is there still no update or solution available?

Same here…

Started my mobile (Fairphone 2, 19.11.2) this morning and neither the notification bar nor the “home” and “open app” button does work. I also cannot connect my phone with the computer in order to create a full backup, because the usb connection type is related to the natification bar. So I’m flinching from a hard reset.

I need my phone for work and this is the worst moment to getting issues with my FP2. I’m going to write to the support team but since I’m reading a lot in forums (problems with my camera, too), I don’t expect any help from them (which is actually not very fair).

Has anyone found a solution or did anyone get in touch with Fairphone about this?

I couldn’t try it yet, but maybe a manual update could solve the problem: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363

If the FP2 isn’t found by the computer, try to install the driver manually too: Device not found under Windows in fastboot

I’ve just created a support request. I suggest you all create a similar (or even identical one) in order to have more weight together. Here’s the link and what I wrote:
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Subject = “Many users impacted: Notification bar, home button not working, system ui tuner not visible”
Description = “Please look at this thread. We are at least 9 users having the same problem since October and no solution. This is really difficult to use our Fairphone in these conditions. Notification bar, home button not working, system ui tuner not visible
Please help us ASAP
Thanks in advance!”
Thank you all. I’ll inform you if I have any answer.

I’ve the same issue since last Friday. I have the last Fairphone Open OS version (7.1.2 19.11.2)

I’ve open a case to the support and mentioned this topic, I will keep informed when I’ll have answers.

Request ID : 345735 Troubleshooter - Something else

Hello, I’m having similar problems.

On powering up a few says ago, found neither the Home button or one to its right working on my FP2. Running OS 19.11.2. No notifications either, or quick camera access or pull-down function.

Hope someone comes up with a solution soon!

Hello everybody

I have the same problem:

• Button at the bottom middle and on the right do not work,
  • no notifications from WA, SMS (I was able to set this in the meantime),
  • camera cannot be activated with button on the right side and
  • bar at the top I cannot drag down twice.

Hope also for a solution soon.

Hi everyone,
I’ve been experiencing the same issue for the past few weeks and have created a support request February, 20 with a link to this conversation as well. I’m waiting for their answer and will keep you posted as soon as I’ve got a reply. Soon, hopefully.

Just a short update.

After I wrote here I have created a support request, too. But I haven’t heared back for days. Since I really needed my phone for work, I tried several solutions. Those are basically the same solutions FP suggested to try in their answer.

Summary: a) Try safe mode b) Kill you data and reset c) send back your phone and wait for weeks until we have some news.

The latter is really the last option. Or better: It isn’t. I don’t have another phone and need one - as I mentioned above - for my work.

So here is, what I tried:
a) Manual update: Failed because it doesn’t download anymore
b) Driver intstall: Doesn’t work, because I cannot use the notification bar
c) Save mode: Didn’t work

The final solution was to reset to factory settings. Since it was not possible to make any backup I’ve lost a lot of data. I’m really not happy with this device. I use it since about one year (!!!), the camera module doesn’t work (since the beginning - artefacts. A well known problem at FP) and no new camara modules are held out in prospect. And now this. I cannot trust the idea of “yours to keep” anymore.

I’m afraid FP is just an idea but surely not a solution. Yet at my daily work I cannot be a philosopher: Ideas are not what I expected when I pay a few hundred bugs.

I’m really upset and annoyed but mainly disappointed.

Regarding backing up files … since I don’t see a mention of this yet here, has anybody tried to boot TWRP and see whether the phone’s storage is available to a computer via USB then?

Normally MTP is enabled after TWRP was booted and with this Internal Storage and the SD card (if there is one and it was left as external storage when Android asked) should be accessible via USB.

You can try this without installing anything on the phone as long as you can still boot it into fastboot mode, see twrpwoflashing.

Understandable, but [insert some remark about the worth of a functioning backup strategy for important files in a tone of your choice here].

3 Likes

For now I have no answer from Fairphone about the case I opened regarding this topic :frowning:

I will try to back-up data with twrp as AnotherElk is suggesting, because when trying to solve the issue I have reset my data synchronisation (Calendar and contacts with OwnCloud) and can’t re-enable it, even with desinstalling/reinstalling the apps… Don’t know if it is related to the bug.

Hi,
Since 1 week, I’ve got exactly the same issue…

• Button at the bottom middle and on the right do not work,
  • no notifications from any applications
  • bar at the top cannot be dragged down twice

I’m going to ask help to the support too and I hope a solution can be found really soon…

Yep - just tested it with Linux Mint and TWRP 3.2.3-0, accessing both memory types works fine, greeeeat. Many thanks, I would had never even tried this… :shushing_face:
Much better transfer speed than when the system is booted.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Little update: I’ve received an answer from FP, but all they told me was to do a factory reset. I haven’t tried it yet since I need to back up my data first and I was really hoping it wouldn’t come to this, but we’ll see how it goes.
It’s just a shame to see that it seems to be their answer to everything. It’s gonna be the second time I have needed to do one in 3 months, after having opened a support request. But well, I hadn’t experienced any problem for 4 years before that so it’s not all bad.

1 Like

Hi. Here’s the answer I’ve just received from FP support:

I’m really sorry that we couldn’t answer your message earlier, this is due to a high number of requests at the moment.

Unfortunately, as already discussed in the forum, the only solution that I can offer you is to perform a factory reset.

To exclude the possibility of a software issue:

1. Make a backup of your personal data
  2. Then, reset your Fairphone 2 to factory settings.

Hello!
For those of you who did a back-up followed by a reset: how did you back up your text messages (SMS)? FP advises to install the [SMS Backup & Restore] App but downloading new Apps (and updating installed ones) always fails. Maybe another bug linked to this problem…
Thanks a lot!

My wife has the same issues and is afraid of loosing all her settings data from her apps. Is it possible to make a full backup with twrp on a not rooted phone?