Not upgrading to Android 10 (yet)

Hi MPFP3,

Oh no, you gave into the nag! :wink: I’m sure that the bugs will be ironed out eventually. Reboots are a concern. Fingers crossed that’s the last one you have.

I’m a light to moderate user. I don’t need it for work, but I do want it to work reliably which it does right now.

2 Likes

Here’s another very satisfied Android 10 upgrader. Plus well-working rear camera upgrade.

5 Likes

No issues after upgrade here as well. Just the freezing of Chrome every now and then, but I think that this was already happening with Android 9 as well.

5 Likes

I’m very happy with the Android 10 upgrade. Have had no problems :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello everyone!
I am also considering to wait a bit since the list of glitches is not short. It would be interesting to see a poll of many Android 10 users on Fairphone 3 and 3+ to see the actual “magnitude” of these problems.

I really would like to know, if the (some/all) problems are caused (primarily/only) by an update or if there are Fairphone 3+ users - having Android 10 by defauld - are affected as well.
This could be an important question.
Admittedly, I did not follw this thread in that regard.

2 Likes

Thanks gordon, FreekB and Marhag for your positive reports. The more good reports the better!

DErik:
I was after a poll to see how many folk have no issues vs those that do. But it was brought to my attention that it wouldn’t show a full picture and after thinking about it, I decided they were right. I think Fairphone wanted to sell 40,000+ FP3 handsets. I don’t know if they have reached or exceeded that figure. Only 234 people voted in Antoine’s poll saying if they had upgraded with 162 saying that they had. I’ve never been any good at maths but 1 percent of 40,000 is 400 right? So with only 162 that would be eligable to vote, that would only equate to around 0.4 percent of total users (if I’ve got that right). That’s why I dropped it anyway. Don’t let me discourage you though as I would find a poll interesting. For me though it’s too small a proportion to get a proper picture. I’ve read quite a lot of negative posts on this forum and the known bugs list is atrocious! That is why I’m waiting.

Hi BertG,
That is my problem. I don’t know why some people are having issues and really would like someone at **Fairphone or Google to get to the bottom of it rather than potentially choosing the short straw.

** Before someone shouts at me, I know that this is a user forum not a support area of Fairphone. :wink:

2 Likes

I am totally with you in your reasoning.
And I also totally believe, that Fairphone is frantically working on fixing the issues.
One indicator is, that they stopped the Android 10 update for a few days. Still, it looks like the fixes unfortunately did not cover all users’ problems. But they for sure will not have given up on it. :wink:

I’ve updated my heavy customized FP3 on day 1 and haven’t noticed any drawbacks.
The old Android 9 crashed when I connected the phone to my car, this has been fixed with Android 10.
Since the service release a few days ago, there is a spacing between provider and time.

5 Likes

Just to add my experience - I have updated my phone 2 days ago and have had no major issues so far.

The only thing that may have happened is that the phone now sometimes gets stuck on slow charging. However, as taking out the plug and reconnecting a few times usually fixes that, this is a small annoyance, rather than a big problem (also, there’s a chance that this was a coincidence, as it seems that FP3s sometimes randomly develop this issue - FP3 Slow Charging)

Edit: further two days later and the slow charging issue seems to have disappeared. So either it was wobble, unconnected to the upgrade, or it somehow sorted itself out.

2 Likes

I was also holding off the upgrade until I read this thread. The positive reports swayed my opinion, so I vowed to report the results of my upgrade here, too.

After a week of Android 10, I haven’t had any serious problems. What I had:

• Two minor cosmetic annoyances:
    • Irremovable date widget on home screen. It ate my Calendar widget, and I had to rearrange things somewhat to be able to add it again
    • Large irremovable suggestions in Settings
  • My 3rd party alarm app failed to fire the morning after the upgrade. Turns out Android 10 got more strict about apps starting from background, and the alarm app needed an extra permission. It asked for it upon opening the app, I gave it, and the alarm has been rock solid again since

Apart from those, I haven’t noticed any problems. Everything just works, no data loss, no battery drain or slow charging. I also appreciate the system-wide dark theme and the Google Play system update, which makes me feel a bit more secure despite the tardiness of conventional security updates on the FP3. All in all, my upgrade experience has been positive :slight_smile:

9 Likes

BertG:
I’m not convinced that the bods at Fairphone are working round the clock as it has been 19 days since 3.A.0045 was released (as the nag just informed me). I’m not slating them for it though as they are in a far better position to know how many users are affected than I am. *.0045 came out very quickly so we can assume while it didn’t cure all ills for everyone, the number of folk affected by issues reduced. Not all problems are unique to Fairphone either so GOOgle should shoulder some the responsibility. (Yeah, good luck with that!).

xeniac:
Good to read another good report. Thanks.

RuthiB:
I don’t think I read that slow charging has been reported as a bug before? It wouldn’t be put off if that was the only issue I got having said that. Pleased it seems to have resolved itself and I hope it was a one off. I take your report as another positive

WabbitSeason:
Fantastic report! You may well have given users the power to remove a bug listed here in known bugs

With Android 10 (for those that don’t know), there are a duplicated layer of permissions which apply to apps that run in the background. This means that though you may have granted foreground permissions, they no longer apply when the app is running in the background. The Alarm is an example of an app that would require background permissions and it would explain why so many users are oversleeping! Have you notified ‘mgkoeln’ of your findings? I guess other apps would require background permissions to function correctly too. With foreground permissions, on Android 9, when an app first requires that permission, it would prompt you to “allow”, “allow once?? (can’t remember)” or “deny”. Now that foreground and background permissions have been separated, I surmise you will have to manually alter the background permission for each app you wish to run in the background or they just won’t work?

Regarding your annoyances, first one is GOOgle telling you what you must have. If you don’t like it, you have to vote with your feet and use an alternative launcher. Don’t know what to do about the second, but you are not alone there.

1 Like

Have you notified ‘mgkoeln’ of your findings?

No one has to notify me! The “Known bugs…”-Thread is a Wiki - so everybody can keep it up to date themselves when they find something relevant! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

When the upgrade to Android 10 became available, I went to this forum and saw the list of bugs and issues people experienced after the upgrade (in Known bugs & problems with Android 10 ) and decided to wait; there are some serious issues on that list!

Two days ago, I have decided to do the upgrade. Partially because of the constant reminder, and partially thinking that eventually certain apps might not function as well with an older version.

So far, I have experienced no problems, but haven’t noticed any big improvements either (but they can all be ‘under the hood’ type of things).

8 Likes

I bought a FP3 a few months ago with /e/ pre-installed. When the new camera modules came out, I instantly bought them but they don’t work under Android 9.

Since there are so many issues with Andriod 10, I’ve been reluctant to make the switch. but now I’m really want to start using the new camera. Has anyone experience with the Android 10 version of /e/? Is it relatively safe? Or should I give ti some more time?

1 Like

The Android 10 troubles - at least so far - are definitely connected to the original Android 10 and not to the /e/ version. And there seem to have been some differences regarding minor problems between Android 9 and /e/ Android 9 as well; the /e/ version being more stable if I recall it right.

No guarantee of course, but don’t expect to run into the same troubles some users here are reporting with their Android 10 update. And those troubles don’t affect everyone or even just a majority, to be sure. Otherwise the update would have been halted, as they did once for a brief time-period.

So far I haven’t read here in this forum about /e/ Android 10 problems.
I am still on /e/ 9 though, since I didn’t manage to make a backup and the update, but not out of fear.

5 Likes

Thanks, Bert! Yesterday I did the update and everything works as expected. And now I can finally use my new Camera Module. :slight_smile:

I did have some trouble trying to update with /e/'s Easy Installer. In the end, I updated manually with fastboot and it was done in under ten minutes.

3 Likes

Great, that you managed!
Did you mayb experience troubles like those:

There is a link to the /e/ forum as well.
(Just for some future need, of course. :wink: )

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

I’m on Linux (elementary OS) and had no trouble using the app or starting the update process. With me, the app seemed to hang at the “/e/ installation” step. After about 30 minutes, I figured there wouldn’t be much more progress and rebooted the phone.

To my surprise, it had a clean install of the Android 9 version. So I repeated the process again, and then again but every time with the same outcome. Then finally I decided to follow this guide for installing /e/ using Linux and it worked like a charm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.