Noise cancelling cuts out my kids voices in video calls on new Fairphone 5

Hi,

I have a very annoying problem with my new Fairphone 5. When doing video calls (tested for Whatsapp, Signal and Google Meet), the voices of my two kids are noise cancelled out. It can be up to 100% or sometimes a bit less. Making calls with friends and relatives are super annoying for the kids and everyone involved.
The voices can be heard when recording video. I also tested all three mics independent of this and all seem to be working fine. I assume some software filters high frequency sounds for video or audio calls over messenger software when using the phone. Calls over network are working ok, though. Also, when I use a bluetooth headset, the voices are heard ok. But that’s just a bad work-aorund.

I was on a Fairphone 3 before and had no problem at all. I also already contacted the support but all troubleshooting tips didn’t help yet. But it is an open case, so I am waiting if they come up with more ideas.

Any suggestions? I already tried a lot of “turn off clear calling”, “turn off wifi calling” and some similar things. Nothing worked.

Thanks!
Marcel

Hey Marcel,

I’m having a very similar issue and have not found a solution yet. It might be worth it reporting this problem to Fairphone themselves

Thanks,
Thijs

Thanks, good to know I am not the only one.
I already contacted Fairphone about this and it is an ongoing support case. The first troubleshooting ideas didn’t help. So I am waiting for the next response by Fairphone.

I have some random ideas about this, maybe someone is interested in testing this out. It is just for fun.

• Did your child talk very close from different directions to the phone though it is a video call?
  • Can you put (a) finger/s on 1 or 2 mics?
  • Can your child speak with a deep voice for fun?
  • Could you record the voice of your child and rework the pitch level and play both audio files in a call and maybe even find a cutoff frequency?