No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot

taking the average of both methods gives
(129k + 107) / 2 = 118K

Considering the 10% of user being on the forum, that is wild guess, and reality is probably much less. Are they 11.8K people on the forum as a whole (FP 2 and 3) ?

There are in total 22972 users. Go to ā€œusersā€ in the menu. Next to the search bar is the number.
Good guess, you were off by pretty much factor 2 :laughing:

Has FP an annual financial publication?

1 Like

whatā€™s the ratio FP2/FP3 users ?
Considering half/half, itā€™s 11k FP3 user (I think less, coz FP2 is been around longer)
We get back to a rough estimate of 10%

1 Like

Yes. Nice. The puzzle reveals itself :slight_smile:

At the same time one can expect the growth of FP balance the FP3/FP2 ration. I remember people not buying FP2, because they wanted FP3.

This statement by @Bas_tien doesnā€™t make sense to me.

I would think it is incorrect, as in, ā€œif they canā€™t fix the phone remotelyā€ then you can send it in for repair, it does not mean you will get a replacement phone, as in " swap the phone" :slight_smile:

A very recent tip from the german thread on sound problems:
It seems, that for at least two users the problem was solved by using another app:
ā€œSimple Dialerā€
This app is available from F-Droid, which is another plus. Just follow the link.
One user has reported, that he hasnā€™t got any troubles for more than six weeks now.
I hope this will help at least some of you too.

If that should indeed help, please report it to support as well, as this might help finding the root cause of the problem.

6 Likes

I saw this one too.
I installed Simple Dialer yesterday. Made it the main app for calling. Then I cleared the cache of the regular dialer and uninstalled it.
The first few calls seem to improve voice quality.
Iā€™ll give an update after a few days

3 Likes

I keep my fingers crossed!!
Itā€™s at least a temporary solution, that does not cause too many troubles, though the app might lack some functions one is used to.

1 Like

@teider
Was it about voice quality ?
Or about silent calls (none side hear the other), happening randomly, which can only be fixed by reboot once it starts to happen ?
If silent calls, have you tried to trigger the problem by opening a game and playing an add ?
I was using that to trigger it : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.computerlunch.evolution&hl=en&gl=US

1 Like

It starts with bad audio quality (on the receiving end) and it ends with me being almost impossible to hear.
Too bad the option for a different dialer app also failed, the problem persists.

This seams to be a different problem than the one targeting that very topic. You may open another topic if you want.
In any case, do contact the support, and write them over and over about wanting to get refund or return your phone for repair. They cannot refuse that, as long as you have already done ā€œreasonableā€ troubleshooting, which I think you did with your lasts posts.

@teider

Iā€™m concerned the above quote is a bit awry, and given the authors experience, as posted elsewhere, to which they privided link(s) I am at not in agreement with the advice.

Fairphone wonā€™t accept what users here thinks is ā€˜reasonableā€™ they will probably ask you do tests and send screenshots of the build etc.

But further as @Bas_tien stated this post is different from your issue, i will see if i can find a link to something more akin to your issue, though it may be no more helpful.

So yes, put in an official support, if this continues for a week or two, but only once, please :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t the patience to read all 212 posts to see what you have done to resolve the issue, so It may well be a useful idea to start another topic with a more specific title relating to your issue.

@anon9989719
I think you are knee-jerking (FAQ - Fairphone Community Forum)
You seam to contradict anything that I write.
I think you are still no satisfied about my use of the word dishonest in that topic :
Group action against Fairphone for dishonest support on Fairphone 3

Yo are now attacking me personally (again) with "given the authors experience ".
Usual ways of attacking the messenger rather than the message.
I have now flagged your post for knee-jerking

I canā€™t believe people are still buying this shit about the SIM.

And I canā€™t believe people donā€™t really read the advice given but just pick out 1 or 2 words.
Because did I mention anywhere the problem is caused by the SIM card in the case of Bas_tien is his issue in this specific reply?
Nope, I didnā€™tā€¦

Please read the advice again and do yourself and the rest of the forum a pleasure next time to not reply in such a rude way. Nobody is waiting for that.

It clearly says just to remove the SIM card before doing the reset and put it back when you are done, this is common advice which all phone manufacturers will give when you are going to install an update or upgrade and something went wrong with this. This doesnā€™t mean the SIM card is faulty, it is just to avoid it giving issues during the update/upgrade process, which sometimes happens, also with perfectly fine SIM cards.

6 Likes

Hello, just wanted to let you know that my wife is also bothered by this same problem. It is very disturbing to receive calls and not to be able to hear anything from her (calling from her FP3)ā€¦ This issue has existed more or less for many month (she has the FP3 for 10months now) but is very frequent now.
I think I tried every setting, SIM swapping etcā€¦ But nothing really worked. Moreover, she does not do heavy thing with her phone ! Whatsā€™app/Signal, a few photo/wideo here and there and she plays candycrush.
I have just installed xposed and the addon mentionned by @angry_dodo to see if it can help.
Moreover I plan to test more specifically after each time she plays Candycrush, see if maybe adds may interfere with the audio and set the phone audio engine in a corrupted state, who knowsā€¦ But if anyone has a solution, let me know !
FaiPhone, we count on you to repair it, or at least issue an explanation how to reduce this problem :confused:

3 Likes

Just to be sure ? I hope you do know this forum is not official support and you may want ask for official support.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2 Likes

as far as I know, official support has help no-one for the time being. So my expectations are quite low and nowadays Iā€™m fed-up with all the brands ā€œofficial supportā€ people who act as robot and I just lose my time.I havenā€™t tried Faiphoneā€™s but according to previous post by people who tried, there is no useā€¦
The new suspect app this morning is the Majhong app: my wife did not play for a few weeks and it seems she did not have the mic problem during this time. It reappeared once she started playing Majhong again. Iā€™ll investigate and will tell you if I find anything.

2 Likes

Can you tell me if this issue appears after an ad with a light green bar at the bottom is playing?
Like there:

Because for me the receiver stops working everytime this specific kind of ad plays. I also wrote the support that i can reliably reproduce this issue.

3 Likes

@Peter_Hofinger thanks, this is a very good clue. My wife is now advised to beware the green bar !

1 Like