No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot

The same problem is coming back more often now, and around every 3 calls give me sound only. I did not use the headphone since the last reboot, but the speakers only. It seems to me that there is a fundamental problem about switching to different audio out devices : small speaker vs loudspeaker vs headphone.

To fairphone people, which I’m sure read this forum every now and then, this thread shows that many people are impacted, and it has been reported almost a year ago.
Could it be time to take action ? Maybe first give feedback that the problem has been taken into account.

Many here have already reported the problem to the reseller, which only suggested doing a factory reset. This has been tested and does not help

Bastien

Hello Everyone

I invite everyone who hasn’t done it yet to fill up a request support on fairphone website :
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Cheers
Bastien

5 Likes

Support reached out me a few days ago they say theyre on it but can Tell when the Patch will Roll Out.

3 Likes

Are these issues fixable with a software update or is there something with the hardware core module?

Does installing /e/ or LineageOS fix the issue?

In this topic people suggested putting the SIM card in the 2nd SIM slot.

You might want to try this. I am testing it myself now as well to see if it solves the problem for the moment.

For the rest fingers crossed the FP team fixes this issue soon.

1 Like

Swap your SIM card from slot 1 to 2.

1 Like

I’ve been having this problem too, and have tried all the proposed solutions apart from factory reset. The phone has also been rebooting at random, several times a day. I visited my service provider today to obtain a new sim card, and now can make no outgoing calls at all.

Pulling the sim and using my old sony with broken microphone instead. At least that one is reliable with a headset. Sorry fairphone, you’ve lost me.

Hello all, I have the same issues since nearly a year that I bought the fairphone 3 from a reseller. I made a request to fairphone today, I am waiting for their answer. I always fix the problem by rebooting but it not really convenient to miss some calls or to call twice each time. Did anyone sent it back or get a feedback from fairphone? In the last case scenario, I will probably try to send it to the reseller but I do not have an old phone to use in the meantime and as the problem is not permanent and is resolved by rebooting I don’t see how the repair service can reproduce the bug?
Cheers,
Sylvia

Request sumitted today!

2 Likes

Did you try what’s mentioned above?

New sim card, no SD card, Android 10 update, all had no effect. Finally tried a factory reset, and still half my calls have no sound. I’ve been in touch with customer service, this is totally unacceptable.

I now have this problem with my FP3 since the update to Android 10 :frowning:

3 Likes

I have done the update to Android 10, as well as the subsequent update that showed up few days after.
The problem is actually worse now. Meaning calling 2 times in a raw doesn’t help. I got to restart the phone for the sound + microphone to be functional again.
I have also been reporting those problems to fairphone, and they sometimes answer. They asked me to do :

1. Dial *#*#66#*#* as you dial a phone number: the Service Menu will appear.
  2. Select Service tests > Test Single .
  3. Press Receiver . The receiver (a.k.a. ear speaker) is used to hear the other person during phone calls. The test will play a pre-recorded track through the receiver. If you cannot hear it, that means it is not working correctly.

Which always worked.
They then asked me to update to Android 10, which made is worse.
If you got that problem, you got to complain to fairphone here :
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2 Likes

Yeah Same Here. This will be the Last fairphone for me. The Phone itself is okay-good but the Software is Just Garbage. Also youd think that If a big Part of your customers complain about Not being able to call Someone with a thing thats Main purpose is to give and recieve calls (which is build by a company that only Builds phones) your First priority would be to fix the issue…well quite obviously its not lol.

6 Likes

I’m using FP3 in USA on Metro.

Sometimes I my phone enters this state where any calls whether incoming or outgoing seem to connect but without audio going in either direction. I believe it connects because incoming calls will have ringing on the outgoing phones speaker, and the call timer starts on my FP3 when a call connects, but I have dead silence.

Restarting the phone fixes this problem.

I play this game called Fallout Shelter that behaves somewhat strangely. When I lock my phone while the game is on and then unlock it, the game comes back but not before showing the home screen with the icons reoriented and the colors and resolution somewhat changed. I don’t know if this app may be causing the sound problem but it’s the only other thing that is strange on the phone, and I have a feeling that the sound issues has ever only happened after using the game app.

Welcome to the community forum!
I moved your post here to avoid duplicates, please have a look at the thread and at the solutuons suggested.
You may want to uninstall the game to test.

Adding to the convo that I also experience this issue, others have flagged it on Reddit too

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well as of today. I’ve had my phone for just over a month, worked fine up until this point. Was working fine YESTERDAY. Now I can’t hear anything when I make calls, and they can’t hear me.

Would like to be able to use my phone as a… you know… phone… very very annoying.

Yes, I tried and used the SIM 2 slot but still half of the calls I don’t have any sound. It’s not working for me. I submitted a request to fairphone.

1 Like

Hi there, new for this forum. I have exactly the same problem since a few days: suddenly no sound when calling or being called while connection is up and running. Only a complete restart of my Fairphone 3 helps… for a day or so…and then the same problem occurs.
Any solution available?

grtz Paul

2 Likes