No fastboot on fp4 after ubuntu touch

Hi,

I flashed my Fairphone 4 with Ubuntu Touch and it worked. Now I want to get rid of it and flash Fairphone OS back as I’ve come to regret it fast, but I’m stuck at step one, as I am completely unable to access the fastboot menu. I have tried everything: Using volume down when powered off (nothing), holding volume down with power button as well (nothing, same with volume up, adb reboot bootloader simply switches it off with nothing else, and I’m stuck. What has happened and can I recover the fastboot menu somehow? The phone still functions perfectly fine, I’m just sick of ubuntu touch and can’t get to that menu.

Thanks

You mean you already try the following without success?
FP4 is off. Don’t press the power button, but instead maintain the volume down and then connect the USB-C cable to your computer.

2 Likes

Any progress on this?

I’m in same boat mate? Please share any improvements that you may have found.
My FP4 it’s unlocked but I can’t flash any other OS. I tried CalyxOS, and others but all failed, at one point I though to check if I could re-install ubuntu touch and YES i can, so why I can’t install any other OS but ubuntu touch?

Hi!
I have no clue on how to help you.
Maybe ask for help on the “Ubuntu Touch on Fairphone 4” telegram group? They are quite active :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am finding the same.

I yesterday installed Touch as a temporary measure until Mobian works.

The bootloader is unlocked, I get that warning when powering up, but holding volume-down no longer brings up fastboot.

Googling brings up a range of different methods, of different dates over a period of ten years or more, to enter recovery mode, from which apparently fastboot can be reached, but none of them so far have worked.

You mean you already try the following without success?
FP4 is off. Don’t press the power button, but instead maintain the volume down and then connect the USB-C cable to your computer.

YES.

THIS WORKS.

1. Power off.
  2. Cable plugged into phone but NOT into laptop.
  3. Hold down volume down. Keep it held down, constantly - do not release.
  4. Insert cable into laptop.
  5. WAIT!

BINGO!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!

3 Likes

Two clarifications (as edit seems now no longer to be available).

1. At no point do you push the power button. The power button is not involved.
  2. The wait after you insert the cable into the laptop is on the order of 60 seconds, I would say. I really do mean wait. The phone will sit there, you’ll think nothing is happening - just wait some more. Keep waiting.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.