No 3G and no www at all except at home with WIFI (Sweden)

The problem appeared after the OS update, yes, but not immediately after. No, we have not installed any new apps that caused this. Before the OS update, there was still this problem with the malfunctioning phone. Somewhere else on this forum I saw someone mentioning that the email program worked even when internet did not (have tried different browsers). Today it was the same for me. Other apps do not work because no 3G connection (even if the icon says so).

Today the phone restart did not even help this problem. This must be solved now, as it is now, the phone is useless.

So the email app works??? Then we should work out the similarities between your and @kgha’s case.

This is the thread you mean:

Yes, seems to be some kind of similarity between these 2 cases. But I backtracked what I have done in recent days.
First, when the problem became too frequent, I did this, very carefully (a manual set up of 3G/Internet): https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154546-My-internet-connection-through-my-operator-3G-does-not-work-Can-I-set-it-up-manually-
It didn’t really help. Did basically nothing.
Then I got a new SIM card, following your advice. And things eventually worsened (after like one day). So I erased the manual setting, went back to the one I had before. And now it works better. So far (a few hours) it connects promptly to the mobile internet when I disconnect the wifi.No need for restart or even flight mode on/off. Works just fine.
I will keep an eye on this tomorrow, when I will be away from the wifi, you see, the problem used to appear after a few hours on mobile internet. That is also when the (voice) phone started to misbehave (disconnecting during calls etc). Or when I checked the phone after an hour or so only to see that the SIM card had disconnected completely… after restart, there are all these sms messages from my operator on missed calls…

1 Like

Hi Sverker,
your name suggests that you (as I) live in Sweden. Are you (as I) on Telia? If so, maybe you can use what I’ve written in my other thread regarding APN settings.

Hi kgha, yes, I am in Sweden, with Telia, which by the way, is a major (and expensive… not daughter) operator. I saw your thread, but I was somehow lost, it is becoming too complicated for me. Anyway.with a new SIM card and abck to the phone’s (?) default settings, as I wrote in my previous port, it seems to again work (at least for one day now). Strange though, because my previous SIM card wasn’t very old. But this thing/problem is tricky, as it tends to appear only now and then. Right now, ok again. Will keep you informed.

APN settings can be modified as shown in this post.

[quote=“kgha,topic:3098,post:11”]disabling the previously set proxy (choosing ‘not set’)
disabling the previously set port (choosing ‘not set’)
choosing PAP as authentication type (previously ‘not set’)
unticking ‘supl’ from ‘APN type’ (leaving only ‘default’).[/quote]

Thanks Stefan, this is exactly the setting that my phone set itself to automatically (that is, the setting that I went back to), and it seems to work. So far…

1 Like

I serm to have the same problem. Also on Telia, Sweden. 3g internet was less and less accessible. First only in some geographic areas. Now everywhere. Usually “connection reset” errors.

Problem happens on all browsers I tested, Facebook and youtube appbut not (!) for the Twitter app.

All seems to point to a change at operator. But other phones seem to handle whatever changed without any problems.

Actually the exact error is ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

One more detail about sweden. Afik all providers share the same network infrastructure and are in that sense all sort of virtual providers. This already caused problems in the early fairphone days with incorrect roaming detection

Did you look through the solutions posted, with setting up the APN?

If this does not solve your problem, I suggest you to write to FP support directly, and tell them about your concerns regarding the Swedish network infrastructure. If you find out something, please post your news here.

The APN changes above fix the problem. Seems Telia changed some settings but the Telia default profile on the phone kept the old settings.

2 Likes

Two of my friends and I use Fairphone with the provider Halebop (which I believe cooperates with Telia) and have had the same problems during the last couple of weeks. Changing the APN settings as stated above solved the problems for at least two of us (haven’t had time to check with the third yet).

EDIT: also in Sweden
EDIT 2: a fourth friend with Fairphone and Halebop also had the same problem. So far changing the APN settings has worked for all four of us.

Yes, Halebop is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) and owned by Telia, using the same network ID.
As I understand it, having read a number of posts, Telia indeed changed something a few weeks ago. Some users have got themselves a new SIM card (and thus got the new settings automatically). Others have changed their APN settings as above, and that seems to work, too.
At least for now…

I also live in Sweden and have Telia as provider, and I have had the same problem (3G mostly not working, only with some apps). Called their support and they told me to send a SMS to 4466 with the text “surf”. I then received a couple of messenges back with installation of the right APN settings. It seems to work now.

3 Likes

The issue showed up after the OS upgrade, yes, however not quickly after. No, we have not introduced any new 98-361 pass applications that created this. Prior to the OS upgrade, there was still this issue with the failing telephone. Some place else on this gathering I saw somebody specifying that the email project worked actually when web did not (have attempted diverse programs). Today it was the same for me. Different applications don’t work on the grounds that no 3g association (regardless of the fact that the symbol says as much).

Today the telephone restart did not in any case help this issue. This must be illuminated now, as it is presently, the telephone is futile.

Are you on Telia Sweden? If so, try Olga’s brilliant suggestion (post immediately before your own). If you have another provider, check that your APN settings are the recommended.

Hi,
I have browsed through this thread and also tried to find other sources as I am experiencing the same issues for two months now. It started with me being abroad (from Germany to Norway in January) where data roaming was not possible although I checked all settings with provider.
After my return mobile internet also back in Germany did not work anymore, EXCEPT, and that is similar to the cases described earlier, e-mail and instagram/ whatsapp. However, no www-browsing, google maps and other apps on the phone.
I have now moved back to the Philippines and am using two Simcards of different providers which are both experiencing the same issues, although I have checked APN settings several time - as in the first occasion with the one provider mobile internet worked for a very short time after changing the APN settings. But after that no mobile internet for browsing and most apps available anymore and me slightly getting upset… (funnily, tethering/ hotspot for my computer works fine and even provides pretty fast internet).
Do you have any other suggestions how to solve this problem?
Thanks a lot in advance for your support!

Sounds like a port problem to me (different apps using different ports to access the internet). I’m not an expert in this though…

Here is a similar problem, maybe you find hints to solve yours.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried different settings as suggested by my provider but so far none has worked. I will call them up these days and also try again with my other SIM Card, just to make sure. But so far, changing APN settings has not done the trick. I will update asap.

1 Like