[new user] Issues to install fairphone Open

Hi,

I just received the Fairphone 2 with slim case. I’d like to try directly fairphone open OS. But I encountered few issues.

So, I downloaded the file from here (https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-downloads.html#ota) from the phone. First problem is that the download stops randomly and I can only download up to the end if I keep the notification of download open until the end.
Then, I open the file with the updater app, it reboots and then it fails installing because it cannot verify the signature of the file. Precise error is:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: Failing to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

At the top of the screen, it’s written:

Android system recovery <3e>
r4275.1_FP2_gms_1.13.0

Then I thought, maybe I should make an update of the current OS since I had a notification of the fairphone updater app. Unfortunately I don’t recall which version to which (the version above is from a try after that). Now the updater says I’m up to date with Fairphone OS 1.13.0. However, it doesn’t seem to be correct, since there is an update to 17.04 (which I thought I was going to get that one upon updating). I checked also my updater app which is not the last one (I have 1.37.1, and on play store there is a version 1.39).

Now I don’t really understand what is the problem, and how could I fix that.

I tried to download the file for open os 2 times but it didn’t change. Could it be that I did not log in with Google credential somewhere ? I think that I could download manually the FP OS 17.04 but it feels wrong doing so.

Also I don’t have sim card yet, if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Which file (there are multiple files on the page you link to) did you use? Make sure you use the OTA build switcher. The error you posted likely results from either using the wrong file, or an incomplete/corrupted download.

If I recall correctly, you don’t need to update the OS beforehand. Nonetheless, the update to 17.04/17.05 on the regular version is only available via the newest version of the updater, which, as you’ve found, is available from the play store. If you don’t want to use google accounts, check this topic.

3 Likes

Actually upgrading the OS will make it harder to install Open OS. You can only use the build switcher if the installed OS is not more up to date than the Open OS version you want to install. So to switch to Open OS 17.04 you need FP OS 1.13.0 or lower.

Thanks for your reply, I downloaded the first link (OTA). I’m trying yours, it might be that.

[edit] It works thanks. What OTA stands for btw?

1 Like

Over The Air.
It’s used to distinguish updates directly sent to and run on the device (in this case via Wifi) from those that are applied from another device (often via a cable). Fairphone also provides binary images that are applied to the phone via a USB connection from a computer using fastboot - these can be updates, but aren’t OTA updates.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.