New Markdown-rendering engine on the forum: CommonMark

Hi, the last forum update (Discourse 1.9) introduced a new Markdown rendering engine called CommonMark. They have a cheat sheet and also a 10 minute tutorial.

Downside is that many topics that were written before the update show some weird behaviour now. For example headings in the form ##Heading don’t render anymore. We have to change that to ## Heading (mind the space between ## and Heading).

If you find broken formatting in a Wiki, I invite you to change the headings and anything else you find. Let’s make the forum a well-formatted place again! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

What’s even more annoying than the heading issue is that the bullet points changed too.

Before if you wrote:

- Item 1
  - Item 2
    - Item 3

You got:

• Item 1
    • Item 2
      • Item 3

Now it looks like this:

• Item 1
  • Item 2
    • Item 3

So now in many wikis and other posts bullet point lists lost their levels and you have to add additional spaces in front of the dashes.

I think it is more consistent now. Before you and I had different styles in writing nested lists. Now there is only one way to write a nested list.

You can also nest quotes and code now: Markdown Tutorial - Nested Lists

• Test1

• code

1 Like

There are still many ways:

You can use a dash or an asterisk and start the first item with zero, one or two spaces before the symbol. The only thing that changed is that you now need more spaces to make sub-points.

Yep, you need to indent at least so many spaces so that the 2nd level ‘-’ is directly beneath the 1st level text.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.