New FP4 has been revealed ... but

Ehmm… I pay for a working phone, no?

3 Likes

Sure I may pay to get into business, but it is my choice to buy the FP4. No one says I have to and no one has to give me want I want or expect.

It’s a deal that may work in my favour or not.

I apply no should to another but sure I will have expectations.

I just don’t expect others to live up to mine, though I can spend my life asking them to.

If you want to spend € 600 for a new FP4 with that attitude: fine. But to have or not to have € 600, and to get a device that does not do the job in return rather is a bad deal. As I replied once: Even in the west, some people must cope with poverty, and have to rely on a functional phone on the other hand…

What attitude do you have that conflicts with the idea the buying the FP4 may or may not be in my favour.

String theory is not linear, there are recognisable temporary advantages for someone who buys the FP4 or presumably they wouldn’t buy one.

Being poor is not a temporary advantage or temporary disadvantage it’s more a state of being.

So are you really trying to say it’s all about the

No doubt there will be people that don’t buy the FP4 due to their state or expectations, and those who do and are happy and those who will be disappointed or unhappy with their decision.

But I’m none of those, yet, and may never be so, though did flirt with the idea yesterday in a conversation about Fairtrade ~ and that is where I would get the returns that do not focus on the specs of the phone but the specs of the working conditions.

If people want specs and not Fairtrade then sure don’t buy into Fairphone.

It is not only the Fairtrade aspect. People want to get back control over a device, and the FP4 is expected by many people to do exactly this. Easy repairability, alternative ROMs, exchangeable battery. All these things together are far more than probablx 99.9% of all other smartphone devices can offer.

So when people buy an FP4, they trust Fairphone to regularly fix issues in reasonable time. We all make mistakes, but it is up to us to correct them, and to make things right the next time…

3 Likes

I totally agree. And I think making better and better phones + keeping track with new standards would bring new people to use fairphone. My first fear before getting one was that the phone would not be performing enough. So uptating them seems a good way to answer that fear. And if a FP4 really attracts you, maybe you can resell the FP3 which would allow somebody to turn fairphone at a lower price. (or maybe just update your FP3 but I don’t know if this is possible).
I understand the debate, which is the same as “is growth compatible with climate objectives” but there fairphone is still a too small share of the market.
I hope I answer your questions.

1 Like

Regarding sustainability: Does someone know whether it’s possible to use FP3(+) spare parts, e.g. battery or bumper, for FP4?

That’s not possible, as the battery and the dimension of the phones are completely different.

1 Like

Thank you.
Hm.
IMHO a sustainable phone should use parts of the predessor model… Ok, if the size changes, then no chance to use the bumper.
But (not) using especially the battery?! Especially as the battery production (& taking back) is maybe the most problematic part from an ecological point of view…
Well, that leaves me disappointed.

Good point, but most of the time, a phone lasts longer, than it’s battery, so most probably it won’t be left over. And if you take it to a FP4, there will be a working FP3 without a battery, which can’t be used anymore.

1 Like

Fairphone had experienced this already as Android 7 was in the make for the FP2. So I think timepoints would rather put pressure on them than providing any support.

I expect Fairphone to continue to supply both models. My plan is to buy the 3+, the 4 has a screen that is too big I think

Are you sensitive in this point as well if it comes to the Android auto-update feature for all your installed apps? Do you have it disabled or do you simply accept every update and hope no issues will rise? Unsuspected troubles after updates stay always a remaining risk. It’s just that Fairphone is in comparison to bigger manufacturers such a tiny little company with very limited resources. More thorough testing is time and money consuming and yet even global players are not immune to once in a while degrade end user devices after an update until a hot-fix is rolled out.

1 Like

Hi @avdhoeff Welcome to the forum.

It’s true the FP4 screen is a bit bigger but the phone isn’t much bigger overall just 4mm wider and longer.

1 Like

Thanks.
And is Fairphone going to change the policy of supplying only one model? The 4 is more expensive. I am looking for information about this policy, can’t find anything about it, until now.
By the way, I was a Fairphone 1 owner, and I consider returning to Fairphone.
Kind regards, Aike van der Hoeff

I think there has never been a policy defining this. The reason for only one model per generation in the past IMHO has been that the company is small and the number of produced devices also. But I assume the number of sold FP4 is expected to be higher.

Wow. Super stoked this revision is now a reality. I can definitely see myself going all in on having both a modular laptop (Framework) AND phone. The larger battery, faster midrange processor and majority 4G/5G network band support on T-Mobile is also are also big draws for me.

There are some quality-of-life factors that will keep me waiting on getting a Faiphone for another 2 years – maybe the “4+” will be the one for me.

• My P20 Pro is still going strong despite lack of updates
• The Faiphone 4 lacks a 3.5mm jack & OLED display
• Occasional hiccups in switching between WiFi & cellular and other mild optimization/usability issues discovered by reviewers that will hopefully be fixed in software updates.

That’s policy: deciding to offer just one model or type. My question is: is that going to change or not? I am planning to buy the 3+. Is a lot cheaper.

The FP2 is still supported although no longer sold since 2019.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.