New FP4 does not wake up display

Maybe the different phones were using different OS versions and so the data backup may be different ??

Plus Samsung v Huawei ???

Sure, but it’s still not very likely that Always On Display has anything to do with it. I don’t even think that Google backup includes phone settings.

1 Like

Same issue, received my unit today, I can use the phone alright but if the display shuts down for any reason the power button won’t wake up the display. System sounds seems to confirm that the phone itself wakes up but the display remain black.

No amount of changing the Adaptive brightness setting or the launcher fixes the problem, I haven’t reset the hardware (again I only powered the device and let it sync/update once for now so I can do the reset and edit this message later)

Ugly fix : quick double press + regular double press : if I manage to activate the shortcut to take a picture in the camera app (a combination of presses on the power button) my display will eventually come back on the camera app I can then leave the camera. To be honest I’ve ended up doing morse code on the button to eventually get a crappy shot of my hand or feet so I can go back to use my phone.

It would be great to have an official comment, so every user with this issue know’s what’s up it clearly isn’t an isolated case and it really looks like a software issue (as the hardware of the button otherwise works apparently fine)

I restored from a pixel 3 with always on display if that matters

As this is a community forum, for official statements #contactsupport . that is also advisible, because the more “complaints” the faster solution.

4 Likes

Just because I thinks its not really mentioned here: have you all the auto brightness activated? If so what happens when you deactivate?

I think this behaviour was already discussed here, but don’t find the thread.
I had this also one, twice.
Changed default launcher fixed it for me. Never had it thereafter.
But, I also deactivated all google and unneeded apps and use only FOSS Apps and f-droid
So, means I have no standard setup for reference.

Yep you mentioned it, but had the feeling it was not really tested, so thought I throw it in again😉

However maybe it was tested without success (was not sure about the comment meaning)

Yes I mentioned trying toggling the Adaptive (auto) Brightness as well as switching to a slew of other launchers didn’t do anything for me only the morse code powerbutton camera trick worked so far I haven’t yet taken the time to factory reset the device (the problem with having a solution now is that no matter how stupid it is, it works, so it’s hard to go on and erase everything to start over ^^)

4 Likes

I got the same Problem, my solution was to disable doze_always_on.

You can check if its on with

adb shell settings get secure doze_always_on

and to disable

adb shell settings put secure doze_always_on 0

I too did a restore from a backup (Pixel 3). I could not believe there is no other solution other than a factory reset so I invested some time. :smiley:

PS: or you could use the App

and disable “Ambient Display”

Hope this helps!

greez n3utrino

13 Likes

Thanks @n3utrino_ch for putting the time in on researching this (this would have been my next step, glad someone beat me to it though).

I can confirm that this was the problem and that the solution above works. (I haven’t tried the app “System UI Tuner” just the adb command line)

So to anyone restoring from an always on display enabled phone and getting this issue, this post should be pinned or put forward as the working solution.

8 Likes

Thanks for this, I haven’t managed to get it to work yet as I’m new to all this. How long before they do an official fix, in your opinion?

Did you try the solution with the app I linked?

It does the same thing the command line commands do.
You can delete the app afterwards and the setting stays.

The whole adb settings abracadabra was just to show what the low level offending setting was.

Concerning an official fix I don’t know.

1 Like

Your solution isnt the issue. I’m a bit useless. I got the app but tried to get the root on my laptop except it’s a pixel slate. Wasn’t sure which OS it uses. Will try property in the morning. Thanks for reaching out.

1 Like

Thank you @n3utrino_ch
I had the same issue and this solved it!
However, I really like the ambient display feature and think Fairphone should resolve this glitch asap.
Thanks again.

Good the community found a workaround. Everyone who has a ticket open with Fairphone, please inform them, else it will be difficult to fix it.

1 Like

This is not a full solve. Not everyone will check this forum. This needs an official fix and soon.

1 Like

Yes for sure but you must tell this Fairphone, this here is just a user forum. And when they are aware of the workaround they might be able to fix this faster.

suggestion for goodness: the mods or admins may always have a hot wire in the development, right?
They could also pass on such information.
Or am I totally wrong here?

Mods don’t have that. Support has, as @yvmuell has mentioned.

3 Likes

This seems to have worked for me as well. No other solution worked - auto brightness, different launcher, … Wasn’t prepared to do the factory defaults reset and set up my phone from scratch just yet, so I checked this and lo and behold, I had Ambient Display turned on… Coming from a Pixel 3a backup restore. Hasn’t happened since I disabled it.

1 Like