I have just bought an FP2. I had (still have) a reasonably good FP1, but the battery is knackered. I’m aware we’re not far off getting FP3, but I read some stuff online that the FP3 will be a cheaper item of lower quality…
I have a few questions and comments on the FP2 which I’d be grateful if anyone can answer:
- The new one feels a lot more flimsy than the old one, so if the FP3 is going to be a cheaper model, then I dread to think what that’s going to be like.
- Can anyone recommend a tough case or suchlike for the FP2 please?
- The software on the FP1 seemed quite good to me, I liked that it came with a range of things like the images gallery which were non-Google. I was horrified at how Google dependent the new one is - I do use Google, but I don’t want them following my every move. I had to log into my Google account to download an app, and it sync’d all my phone contacts to the Google account. When I then removed the Google account, it deleted all the contacts from the phone book again. This is going to be a really annoying feature of the phone in the future each time I need an app.
- The audio / sound settings are not as good as the FP1. There is no profile for ‘silent’ for example.
- The battery life is rubbish - it needs a recharge every day.
I’m pretty disappointed in it to be honest - the FP1 felt like a much higher quality item, and I would still be using it now if Fairphone had continued to supply replacement batteries for it.