Neither USB tethering nor wireless tethering work for me (Happy Móvil España)

pls help - trying to connect my fairphone first edition fp1 updated to Kola Nut 1.8.7 ;
tested the steps above and do not get either USB tethering nor wireless tethering working ;
unfortunatedly no error;

Hi @syl, please give us some more information.

• What’s the operating system on your Computer?
  • Does your computer detect your phone?
  • Is there any notification shown on your phone in the notification area?

PS.: I moved your post to a new topic because the other one was not about tethering not working.

many txs for the quick response - here additional info:

• I do not have F-Droid
  • attempting to connect to Windows 7 Profesional
  • attempting to apply script error "/system/bin/sh: su: not found
    script:
    🇬🇧 🇪🇸 Tethering not working with Spanish SIM (FP1U v1.6 and v1.8)
    su -
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ccmni0 -j MASQUERADE
  • USB tethering: not recognized by laptop
  • WIFI tehtering: recognized and as “Connected” by laptop as “AndroidAP”, but stating "No internet access in “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center”;
    Any setting in “View your active networks” of “AndroidAP” as “Public network” / “Home network” / “Work network” do not influence;
    “Wirless Network Connection Status”:
    IP4 Connectivity : No Internet access
    IP6 Connectivity : No network access
    Media State: Enabled
    SSID: AndroidAP
    Duration : 00:48:52
    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Signal Quality: all 5 bars in green
    Activity:
    Sent : bytes 26.266
    Received : bytes 18.202
    (increasing by jumps of roughly 200 bytes - more on on Sent then on Received)
    -> Properties button to view more details :
    Network type: access point
    Network availability: All users
    only ticked first option "Connect automatically when this network is in range"
    Security tab:
    WPA2-Personal / AES / 802.11 settings: only option given ticked “Enalbe Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network”;
  • test “trying to enable IPv4” on Fairphone :
    when activating “Anclaje a red y zone Wi-Fi” = EN "Wifi tethering … " option at the bottomn "Configuracion de zona con cobertura IPv4 = EN “configuration of zone with IPv4” is greyed out;
    tested with and without ticking “Anclaje de Bluetooth - Compartiendo conexion a Internet de este telefono” - EN “tethering to bluetooth - sharing internet conection of this telephone” - does not make a difference;

This means that connecting to the network via WiFi works fine. What doesn’t work is the traffic forwarding from the 3G modem. Can you please check on your phone if you can access any web page through 3G?

txs - just tested - result : when “wireless tethering” is switched on I can access the internet on my fairphone, on my laptop I can not;

additional comment: have a littlle H on my top bar - so conlcude that I have 3G+ available

Ok, which is your mobile operator? I just read on the internet that some operators block tethering.

happy - part of the Orange group

https://www.google.at/search?q=happy+orange&gws_rd=cr&ei=76NiWMLaFtTuwQK_3LSQCA

https://mobile.twitter.com/happyorangeomg

??? :wink:

Can you give me a website? never mind, I got it: https://www.happymovil.es/

[quote]Si, se puede hacer tethering con Happy Móvil, pero recientemente hemos descubierto un error debido a una actualización lanzada por parte de Android, por lo que, si tu terminal tiene la versión de Android 4.1.2 o superior, es posible que no puedas hacer tethering.

En iOS también se puede hacer tethering pero debido a una configuración en algunos terminales también estamos teniendo problemas.

Estamos haciendo todo cuanto podemos para poder solucionar estos errores. En cuanto sepamos más, lo comunicaremos en este apartado.

Lamentamos las molestias.[/quote]
Source: https://www.happymovil.es/preguntas

"…
¿Puedo realizar tethering con Happy Móvil?

Si, se puede hacer tethering con Happy Móvil, pero recientemente
hemos descubierto un error debido a una actualización lanzada por parte
de Android, por lo que, si tu terminal tiene la versión de Android
4.1.2 o superior, es posible que no puedas hacer tethering.

En
iOS también se puede hacer tethering pero debido a una configuración en
algunos terminales también estamos teniendo problemas.

Estamos haciendo todo cuanto podemos para poder solucionar estos errores. En
cuanto sepamos más, lo comunicaremos en este apartado.
Lamentamos las molestias.
… "

your on the right track - I have android 4.2.2 - so above the 4.1.2 , which might be the cause -> any option you can see to do something about “downgrading” my android version ? ( even though it migh not be a very “clever” idea in general … )

You were a tick faster than me (see above)! :wink:

You cannot downgrade, as the Fairphone 1 never had a lower Android version. You should definitely give them a call as soon as possible and ask them if they have already fixed this (or can tell you how to fix it on your FP1). Android 4.1 has been around for over 3 years after all!

many txs - what do you think about the IPforwarding script I found already on another thread for Spanish sims ?

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ccmni0 -j MASQUERADE

You can simply try it out. If it doesn’t work, no harm should be done. If you do, let us (me) know the result.

Other than that I can only refer you to this advice from a former Fairphone employee:

tried the first step, but su does not appear to exist :

in:
su -

output :
"/system/bin/sh: su: not found

any idea ?

installaing a “switch user” lib or so ?

Are you using Terminal Emulator?

yes - might be that I am not rooted

When you type su, the superuser request screen should come up. (only this time, for 10 minutes, always)

Edit:

also it shoud say root@FP1 before the cursor.

just found my edit - had to “unroot” phone due to security requirmente as I use my phone as well for work - I achived this “unrooting” via renaming the two su files (one in system/bin , the other one in system/xbin)

struggling now a little to revert only for this test the renaming - “root browser” does not give me the option; any ideas?

Accessing those files will be a bit hard, now you aren’t root on your phone anymore… :confused:
The first requirement would be to have your computer detect your phone, which also isn’t the case at the moment. It might be the easiest, if you simply install Fairphone OS Kola Nut again on top of your current installation. The files in the /system partition will be replaced, giving you back the su-binary.

No user partitions will be harmed.

PS.: If you need an unrooted phone for work, you could try RootCloak, which is a module of the Xposed Framework.