Negative experience with Cordon electronics (repair) FP3

Yes it is sensitive to damp although a little rain is touted as being acceptable. It seems the issue is being in a damp environment for a while. My daughter dropped hers down the toilet but it seemed fine after drying for a couple of days. Dampness creeps in and isn’t obvious it’s eating away at metallic parts etc, and then of course doesn’t show up for a considerable length of time.

I had thought of mentioning Open Camera but tried it and settled on Nikita.

By the way do you have the FP3 with the 12Mpx camera?

this was very helpfull to read aswell… I really hope they work on that. Does anybody know if It’s possible to see the water makers? On other phones they where visible as white squares (red above now, that it’s not that simple to see so that question cleared)

1 Like

Yes I do :slight_smile: I thought about changeing it, but i’m afraid it’s more a software problem and not getting better with a new camera. But it was on the reapair list of Cordon so maybe it’s responsible for the problem

I have a spare 12Mpx, not sure how easy it is to send it or if you can find one locally, I’m in the UK.

So where are you?

Did you change it to the 48MP? Is there a huge difference to the 12MP? I’m in germany. I’ve just checked ebay and they are quite affordable, a lot of people seem to change them to the 48MP. So I think I just buy a second hand one and give it a go. But thank you very much for the offer. I was thinking about changing it to a 48MP aswell, but if the phone is allreay oxidated and that sensitive, I’m not sure if it will last that long as I’ve expected.

3 Likes

Hi I didn’t swap, I picked up a couple after other did, exactly for this scenario. I had/have intentions of setting up as a Fairphone angle but it’s not realistic in the UK and where I reside yet.

A lot of reports say the different isn’t worth the trouble, I’ll see if I can find a topic or two etc. But if it’s a rally cheap and easy way to check out the isseu then it make sense to try.

I was looking for a giveaway that may be near you, but haven’t found one. anywhere. :frowning:

All the best

By the way the new camera 48Mp is 48Mps not 48Mpx. It’s a bayer 4 x 12Mps that produces 12MPx output

Thank you for sharing this. I did some research before but it was never that clear and now I’m convinced that it doesn’t make sense to me to change to the ways more expensive 48MP :wink:

If you’d like to try an alternative 12Mpx ~

Keep your eyes open for a giveaway as it will take me some time if you would like me to send on.

I live well of the beaten track and don’t even go to the local village except on average once a month and there is no post office there :slight_smile:

I also had a bad experience with them.

When I bought my FP3+ last Christmas it kept rebooting, once a day. After some attempts with Fairphone support I was asked to send it to Cordon, it was probably March.

You get an email when they receive the phone and one when they send it back.

They kept my phone for 50 minutes. They updated the SW and sent it back, without even waiting a couple of days to see if the intervention fixed the problem. The problem was still there when I received my phone.

I’ve just sent it again to Cordon a few days ago for another problem and I’m afraid of what could happen.

Regards,
Max

Hi max

You don’t say when you sent it, last Xmas is a while away. You also didn’t say if the 50 min SW update made any difference.

Given it could all have happened 9 months ago and you now have a different problem I wondering what the bad experience was ??

I’ve just enriched my post, thanks for warning me.

I hope it is clearer now.

The new problem is with the display, it started showing vertical lines of different colors every now and then. After a couple of weeks the lines became fixed and never disappeared so the phone was unusable.

Regards,
Max

Sorry to repeat but I don’t see how any of this is a bad experience with Cordon, which was my query :slight_smile:

On the issue of the screen I’m seen many post where similar issues arose due to the screen not being seated properly. Have you tried disassembling and reassembling the module…

Then please ask for a new thread, or start one by yourself and do the troubleshooting there, thanks…

Just to close it as I understand DeepSea remark.

If I have a problem, I send the phone to the lab, they update the SW and send it back to me without even verifying the problem is solved, and I realize it’s not solved, I call it “bad experience”.

Before sending the phone to Cordon the second time I did all what Fairphone support asked me to do (also disassembling and reassembling the display). If they asked me to send it to Cordon I guess we tried everything was reasonable trying.

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

I have mixed experiences with Cordon, though in the end still quite happy (after having had troubles for 6 months).
I had noticed shortly before the first lockdown that my FP2 battery was draining very fast (probably a defect I had never noticed). I suspected hardware fault and contacted support. Two weeks later my phone stopped working, and lockdown arrived. As everything was closed I had no phone for the time being. Then when Cordon reopened, I sent my phone in, got it back with an exchanged core-module, but… battery was also draining fast again (not as fast though). I did tests with a second FP2 and nailed it down to the core-module again, so they had sent me a defective core-module (probably badly refurbished). I contacted Cordon directly again, and I got my case solved as an emergency case, I got my phone back under a week with yet another core-module (this time really functional). So I’d say the service was good, the defective spare-part was less appreciated.

4 Likes

Yes that seems reasonable to me too.

Must be getting senile, sorry I missed that bit, but nevertheless I have read such things can be down to the network and sim card which Cordon wouldn’t have been able to assess.

So are you saying it’s been rebooting once a day since?

Here’s hoping they can get the phone back to you soon and in a better condition than they received it.

All the best

I’m not sure what the ref to DeepSea was but I’m sure it’s not important. ??

@Wellenreiterin
To me this doesn’t sound like any Fairphone was treated in a different way by the repair center as conventional phones despite its modular design. Now what’s that for an option to maybe get it fixed for the costs of a brand new phone or dump the entire device. Quite ridiculous approach from my point of view. If I wanted to only have these two options I would stick to any other brand mobile.

@Alex.A

I rather believe they couldn’t finally find the cause and therefore first “tested” to see if you really could realize a misbehave and sent you back the original core module so see if you would get back to them again for this same issue which you did shortly after (did you compare any SN or IMEI numbers?). So then in was clear for them to have it replaced.
Anyway, this all looks to me like unreliable business.

Generally I wonder how come Fairphone did not choose one out of many Fixit repair centers around. One address is in Berlin which has its repair center located in Krakow, they fixed my Pocketbook e-book reader having a memory defect…guess for which costs (out of warranty)… ~ 32€ incl. shipping. That looks reasonable to me. 1/3 of a new FP3 would had been ~ 150€ - the most expensive part the core module is about 209.90€. But having no clue and therefore replacing the entire device looks simply like bad practice and is surely no proper solution when dealing with any Fairphone .

Which kind of tests were these if you like to share?

1 Like

Hey @Patrick1, I documented my issues in my first topic, have a look if you wish :slight_smile:

I don’t think so.

1. The core-module I had, which had battery draining isues was dead when I sent it in, i.e not switching or charging and charging without a battery indicating some sort of hardware failure.
  2. They stated they had changed the core-module, if they state so but don’t do it, it’s a bit problematic.
  3. I checked IMEIs, they were different.
  4. The second core-module had battery drain problems, but not for the same reason (not a kernel wakelock permanently using the CPU), and not as much (2.5%/h instead of ~9%/h in standby).
2 Likes

Ok if it clearly was traceable that part(s) were changed that’s a different point. Anyway your tracking with “top” over some time surely was tiring. Hard to troubleshoot such a tricky issue. Battery drain can have so many causes specifically as phones usually don’t sleep for long time. But depending on OS generally there should be some time of sleep when the device is not actively being used.

1 Like

Topic is still alive, i just can agree with the headline.