Name contest for the new OS is over

Fairphone OS Light
NoG (No GMS)
Nogomose or NoGoMoSe (No Google Mobile Services)

Fairphone OS NG (No Google or Next Generation :grin:)

I think @Stefan’s Fairdroid is splendid because:

• It portrays what is at the very core/reason of the project
  • It focuses on something positive rather than on being “against” something
  • It does not distinguish between Google and similar privacy detractors
  • It does not focus on just one of the names of the Google/Alphabet corporation

Fairdroid would be most appropriate if incorporating both freedom (root access) and privacy (no preinstalled crap or hardcoded URLs/callbacks).

13 Likes

the more i think about it, fairdroid sounds like a really good choice, for the arguments you mentioned. and for the iterations, it could just start with fairdroid frog and then continue with other amphibians&reptiles…

11 Likes

…and what’s the preferred app catalog for Fairdroid ? Well, F-Droid of course. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

nice ones so far!

I wonder how our legal dept. reacts to Fairdroid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What’s about outlaw? :smiley:
Or give your mascot a name and use it as
name for the OS. Like nymbios. :wink:

Nymbios is the Codename oft my Website. :smiley:

Yea, or fair OS :wink:
Maybe you know the joke about progammers are slaves. :wink:

With Google:
– Google Edition

Without Google (possible with F-Droid):
– Vanilla Edition

1 Like

sounds good for “vanilla edition”, but I’d only stress out that the vanilla version is still not really “without google”. So “google edition” is not really true, and could be more like “standard” or “default” edition"

Will a “vanilla edition” come with the Vanilla Audio Player preinstalled? :wink:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=ch.blinkenlights.android.vanilla

Nice one but may be a legal problem?

If this is so, try NoGle? NoGoo?

What about FP OS2 (written as “OS square”) in order to simplify the OSOS repetition? :slight_smile:
So we could have a “normal” OS (with GApps) and a “square” OS (G-free edition)
Bye!

3 Likes

“OS square” has a bit of a awkward connotation, that suits better to iPhones :wink:

Very happy with both Fairdroid and FROGS (with an S). If FROGS is chosen, Fairphone might want to name releases with endangered species of frogs, and (if manageable) make regular donations to some organisation that tries to protect amphibians (see this Wikipedia article on the subject) — how’s that for fitting it in the sustainability focus of the enterprise? :wink:

I actually think FROGS is a better idea, as it would be less clearly tied to Fairphone (alternatively understood as “FRee Of Google Services”?). The idea of Free Software would be to see the OS have a life (or several forked lives) of its own!

8 Likes

What’s about “Trusty FROGS”? :blush:

We could name the FROGS beta releases tadpoles. :wink:

7 Likes

and the beta testing phases “toad migration”? :smiley:

4 Likes

First of all, let me get this straight:
FPOSOS does not sound like a Greek island.

My proposal: Meermin
Why?

1. It sounds cool
  2. It is dutch, like the fairphone
  3. The Sailfish OS can be its buddy (meermin=mermaid)
  4. It can be seen as having a vague but interesting historical connotation (look for Meermin mutiny).
  5. It is not cheesy, nerdy or ideologically overloaded.

I rest my case.

3 Likes