Name contest for the new OS is over

I like FROG. Especially since the pedant in me can then whisper ‘Apps/Services’ after the name - I don’t believe that Android can realistically be labelled as non-Google or completely Google-free. For similar reasons (e.g. the binary blobs), I’d like to stay away from having ‘Open Source’ in the name.

8 Likes

Well then you can say FROGS (Fairphone Release Omitting Google Services). :wink:

5 Likes

I got another one: FAV (Fairphone Android Vanilla)

1 Like

FPLOS - Fairphone Libre OS

Maybe I am wrong, but Vanilla doesn’t mean “standard”, “no modified”?
If so, it is definitely not a Vanilla Android.

As I am french, FROGS seems fun enough :slight_smile:

Otherwise, I am thinking of something like FOGS-OS: Free Of Google Services OS

I really like the FROG idea. Using existing words always makes it easier and a lot more fun!

1 Like

I’m also for FROG/FROGS (whether there’s an S at the end or not doesn’t matter too much to me). Fun, memorable, has a meaning but could also be expanded with further reptiles and/or animals for future releases (that then don’t need to be abbreviations), lends itself to fun designs…I like! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“vanilla” means simple, no-frills
(hope that helps, I can’t speak French, I’m afraid)

cute acronym. to the point, too. chapeau!

1 Like

“Omitting Google” “Rid of google” “Google free” “Googleless” “noogle”…
All of this is not true, as AOSP is Android Open Source Project from Google !!!

Sailfish, Ubuntu or FirefoxOS could be called google-free (even though I’m sure some experts could will argue about this :slight_smile: )

But FPOSOS is a Google Android variant…
Let’s not confuse “without Google” and “without Google Services

3 Likes

I like very much the idea around Empire and Rebellion :slight_smile: It makes great commercial names too.

That said, what are the exact need? If fairphone continue to ship regular androïd on its phone, and user have to download and flash the open version by themselves… I’m not sure if a commercial name is really needed for this case. A link to a good tutorial about a fairphone open version seems sufficient to me.

one could use the G as in Gapps then…

As a follow-up to my earlier reason for liking FROG, and taking into account that it should be FROGS (fairphone release omitting google services):
Plenty of frog species names to choose from for version names, though I would suggest finding ones that are somewhat shorter than others. For example, Kermit appears to belong to a species that is of the genus Hyalinobatrachium, but perhaps there are snappier frog names out there (or just go with common names!).

2 Likes

agree that it should be FROGS (but with RO for “rid of”)
Do you think “kermit” can be the name of the first release or will that cause trouble with Disney (or whoever currently owns the rights for The Muppets)?

I would use “FairAndroid” for the classical googleized OS, as all the world think about Android with Google in mind. When you buy a FP2 it is an Android in the market meaning way and also is a fair smartphone. So FairAndroid makes sense to me.

For the real Fairphone OS, the open one that will make the difference, I cannot find anything better than “Fair OS” or simply stick with the “Fairphone OS”… simpler is better.

That makes me think of Fairdroid:joy:

9 Likes

At the moment my favorites are FROG/FROGS and NOOGLE.

3 Likes

FRee Of Google… That’s not the smartest explanation but at least useful…

I know you can say “free of”; but I’d rather use “free from” and FRFG may sound a bit odd :wink:

What people should keep in mind: You can make a phone google services free, but many applications that people are used to, depend on the non-free services and software applications Google provides. So if you want a Google free phone, you need Google “framework” free applications as well.

1 Like