My FP1: four years and counting!

Amazing. I am really lucky and happy that my USB port still works without any problems so I don’t have to worry about how to charge it

2 Likes

I rarely look at the forum, because obviously it’s mostly FP2, but wait…

I can’t remember exactly when I got my FP1, but it was summer 2014, so I’m over 4 years now, and it’s still working quite well. I’m on the second battery, which is starting to struggle (occasionally drains abnormally quickly, but then fine on the next charge).

I didn’t upgrade to the FP2; the larger size put me off. I’m still desperately clinging to the idea that 130mm is perfectly large enough for a mobile phone :wink: I suppose I’ll probably have to buy an evil phone (2nd-hand) to fill the gap before the FP3 arrives… hoping there’s a compact version.

2 Likes

If it’s only the battery, you can replace it by a generic one. See here for more info: #fp1battery

2 Likes

Yes, I might do that, Stefan. For a while, I thought the phone was becoming too slow for some of the apps I use, but I think it’s going to be fine for a while…

using it since September 2014, second batch no. 700 :slight_smile:
How do you guys deal with the software issue? since I can’t update the browser (duckduckgo) because of the old Android version I can’t use multiple important websides anymore. For example public transportation connections and so on. That’s why I consider getting FP2, but I’m afraid it will be too big for me.

2 Likes

Have you seen this yet:

not yet but thank you for sharing. As far as I can understand this could be a solution, right? Sorry for minor techie knowledge

Sorry no, I just checked and the DuckDuckGo browser needs Android 5.0 or higher. This is only 4.4.4.
Have you tried a different browser, like Fennec F-Droid?

2 Likes

I’ll definitely check this one. Thanks!

Likely that’s because TLS1.0 is deprecated, using Android 4.4 will solve that. And using another browser often helps as well, as suggested.

1 Like

For reference:

2 Likes

I’ve a FP1, 2nd batch, from August 2014. On the second battery and crack in screen near the top Rt but other than being rather slow, it still works fine.
Trying to source a battery for my wife’s FP1 bought at the same time (but used a lot less than mine). So that’s 4 years 4 months.

3 Likes

thank you guys! My FP1 is functioning properly again with a different browser. So I’ll continue to use it till it drop

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :gb: :de: Magnetic USB cable recommended to avoid socket probs

Oh no :cry:
My FP1U is starting to have problems with USB connector and charging… :frowning:

Don’t worry, your fellow Austrian Fairphoners have you covered! :wink:

1 Like

My FP1 (second batch) is still running about 20 hours on a fully charged battery, and it’s the original battery. However, I did just buy a FP2 because of the huge discount of 24% while I always said I would use up my FP1. I found an excuse: I am going to install UbuntuPhone on my FP1… :wink:
Thanks FP for starting the movement, I’ve just jumped on the wagon number 2!

6 Likes

I want to see that! :smiley: You are surely talking about FP2, right? :smirk:

@anon83519835 Once you find the time, I would ask you to please create a “5 years of Fairphone 1” title for users to “wear” in their profile. The first FP1s arrived at their buyers from the end of christmas 2013, so an increasing number of us will qualify for it over the course of this year. :slight_smile:

Screenshot_2019-01-15%20urs_lesse

3 Likes

Ahh you’re right, I was too hard trying to find an excuse to buy a FP2 before my FP1 was at its end of life…

1 Like