My computer don't show my fairphone anymore via USB

Don’t work…

Thanks.

Wow!

Okay, that work again now, i’ve uninstalled the SDK from android, and it’s working again… That just come back to my brain, that i was wanted to try that few month ago than it just leave my brain!!

Thanks you all, for the help!

THAT worked. Thanks a lot. This IS a software issue under FP2, regardless of computer OS or usb hardware, and it does happen randomly. That stuck me at work because i use 4G from my phone. Glad there is a workaround, but it’s mandatory the tech team digs into this bug.
Thank you Judas.

I have the same problem, is there any how-to on trying to uninstall the SDK from Android? or someone to talk me through it?

Hi,
I had this problem as well, and “solved” it, by deleting everything and starting new. After the reinstall, MTP-connection to my PC worked.
Today I can’t see my FP2 in my Explorer anymore. Same cable, same USB-Port. Mounting the SD-Card works, but that is not a solution for me.
I tried clearing the Media Storage App data, didnt’ work.
Does anybody have a solution? I would hate to have to reinstall EVERYTHING.

Have you already restarted both devices (FP2 and PC)?

Now, yes. No change. :cry:

Maybe your microUSB port is broken. Try it with a new bottom module.

I have exactly the same problem:

• FP2 detect when connected to a USB charger. It charge correctly.
  • FP2 don’t detect when connected to my PC by USB. And don’t charge.
  • When USB is connected, FP2 don’t show the notification to choose between charge, MTP, etc.
  • On the PC, when FP2 is connected, dmesg and lsusb doesn’t show anything about any connected device. My computer don’t see the FP2.
  • USB cables and PC are tested and OK.

This is how I (temporary) fix this problem:

• Activate the developer mode on the FP2
  • Go to “Settings” > “Settings for developers” > “Network” section > “Select USB configuration”
  • Choose “MTP” manually.

This look like a bug. My version of OS are: Fairphone Open 17.06.4

2 Likes

I have exactly the same problem.
but since I updated to Fairphone Open 17.11.X it charges, if I plug the USB cable slowly .

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Awkward battery charging

A post was merged into an existing topic: Awkward battery charging and no connection to PC

Same problem here.
Data transfer via USB was fine. But after I updated to build fp2-sibon-18.02.0
the phone did not react to an USB connection to my desktop at all. There were no logs on the desktop, either (Debian linux buster/testing). USB charger worked as expected, though.
This is with the same cable, same USB receptacle on the same desktop as before. Changing any of these usual suspects did not affect the problem at all.

What did work, was the a similar fix as presented by SebG above. That is:

• activate developer mode (by tapping the build number several times in the about phone screen)
  • activate ‘USB debugging’ in the developer options

With this in place, my FP2 reacts as expected when it is connected to my desktop via USB. I immediately get a response and can choose the USB mode from the notification tab. This still works after a reboot and even if I disable developer mode.
( Settings → Apps → Settings → Storage → Clear_Data )
So it looks like USB connection to a desktop requires ‘USB debugging’ activated. With hindsight, it may have been me fiddling with developer mode options rather than the update. Not being able to connect properly to a desktop without ‘USB debugging’ enabled is a little surprising, though.

Same as @kaimartin here. Using fp2-sibon-18.03.1 I need to enable USB debugging to get USB connection (even if it is only for charging) to a computer.

More details :

• If I then disable USB debugging it remains OK (can plug/unplug phone and get USB connection)
  • If I reboot with USB debugging disabled, the phone gets no USB connection to the computer again (so I have to turn USB debugging on and off)

In a nutshell, it seems that USB debugging is required to « wake up » the USB connection feature between the computer and the phone.

Weird. Seems like a bug.

I have almost the same problem here. My FP2 first was working well, I could use the SD card and transfer my ringtones to the card. When I plugged in I got the question if I wanted to charge or use files. In the Explorer I saw only one file with subfolders, though. Shouldn’t I have seen 2 files there - the phone itself and the SD card?

Since some time this does not function at all any more. No question when plugging in a USB cable (data cables which have worked before), the Explorer shows the Phone as FP2 but “This folder is empty”. The phone just is charged over the USB cables. This is the case on several Windows PCs with Win8+10 and with several cables.

I have tried the tips here on the forum, deleted caches and switched on USB debugging in the developer mode - no change.

I suppose you’ve selected MTP for file transfer from the scroll down menu, have you?

mtp

1 Like

As I wrote, I do not get this menu any more, the phone simply starts to charge.

And just to be sure:
After connecting the data/usb cable: did you pull down the top menu (by dragging down with your finger from the top)? There in the message area you should find the usb options!

usb-options

I have the same/similar problem (already for quite some time) - I can’t connect my FP2 via USB to my laptop anymore to transfer files.
Charging still works, both from the laptop and the socket.
My laptop is a Macbook, but I’ve also tried it with a Windows laptop and it didn’t work either. My Fairphone runs on Android.

I don’t get the dropdown menu to choose if I want to charge or transfer files.

The trick from Judas described above doesn’t work for me, because there’s no “Media Storage” in Settings > Apps.

The solution from SebG doesn’t work either, because there’s no “Settings for developers” in stupid Android. Generally, it’s quite annoying that you get less and less access to the settings of your phone. Is that better with Fairphone Open?

On Fairphone Open OS when connecting to Mac if tap on “USB for charging” elicits choice of Use USB for: Charging, File transfers, Photo transfer (PTP) and MIDI.