My absence CW: depression

Today was a good day! :grinning:
Yesterday my sister gave me a gratitude journal as a Christmas present, I started using it today and it already changed my perspective on many things.

I am grateful for the time I was allowed to spend with my best friend and I’m glad she managed to get out of our friendship, which was burdensome to her. I only wish her all the best - after all I love her!
I’m grateful for the doctors, therapists and nurses here, that are willing to help me and I’m grateful they are willing to take a lot of time for me - even if that means months in the clinic.
I’m grateful for my family who care for me. I will stop taking them for granted.
I’m grateful for my music collection and many other things.
And of course I’m grateful for everyone here being so nice to me and writing positive comments. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

That’s really good to read and even more so this time of year. :slight_smile:

That’s just because you really deserve it an kind of have “earned” it for being such a great person, that has unconditionally helped so many others. I happen to know you only via the forum and sometimes we were in disagreement, but you have been a really great positive influence for me. And especially as moderator I am still relying a lot on your example and highly respected opinion.
And I guess, that’s not just my opinion!

The journal you are describing reminds me of this video (though I only watched the first few minutes, due to a lack of time):

I think this guy really has some positive messages and a good way of talking.
Maybe some of his videos could be interesting.
I received this one by mail, that is really fitting Fairphone:

Title: “Warum du DANKBAR sein solltest…”

6 Likes

I just lit a candle for you.

4 Likes

The holidays are almost over.
In two days’ time, the normal schedule will be in place again.
A new year in which I wish you all the luck and strength you need to reinvent yourself.
I hope you will find the love within you for your valuable place in this world.

3 Likes

Today is another bad day.
Yesterday I noticed that she-who-shall-not-be-contacted still is in some online groups together with me and she is sharing her number in her profile.
When she wrote to me that she didn’t want anything to do with me anymore I deleted her contact info and that really made it easier to keep the distance. Now it’s really painful again and I’m not sure I can handle not contacting her when I have the possibility.

Also my therapist tells me I should be mad at her, because she broke off the friendship out of the blue, saying she couldn’t handle my love anymore. But she never told me before that there were any problems and never established any boundaries and give me the chance to keep them.
But I can’t be mad at her, because I love her too much.

I (day)dream all the time of cuddling her and to make it all worse the only living being I that let me cuddle with them anymore, my dog, died a few days ago.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. :expressionless:

Regarding the other problem, I can only say that in similar cases, I have resorted to (on social networks) technically block a handful of people I would need to live yet are out of my reach. Simply to avoid “exposure”. I don’t know if this is a technically available option in your case at all, or if it might make participation in the groups too complicated.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s so sad your dog died.
Have a virtual cuddle from me.

5 Likes

Thanks you two.
No unfortunately blocking isn’t really a solution in my case.
One of my friends told me I should be strong and handle the exposure and I think that might really be the best idea.

5 Likes

I hate being excluded. :frowning:

3 Likes

If you refer to the angels meeting, it’s by no means to exclude you.
We even talked about your mention of scenfall to be use the next time.
Unfortunately the test we did with scenfall after the meeting didn’t went very well.
We set the next date for Tuesday February 23th.
So please if you have another alternative, please let us know. So we can try it before next meeting so you can participate as well. Because we like to have you there also.
I stopped with whatsapp because my principles reasons for not to use it any more were stronger then to stay in the family app. So because of my principals I excluded myself, not the other way. It’s a price that I willing to pay for my principles.

3 Likes

Hi,

I know nothing about you. Still I sympathize. My hope: Saying the exact right words so you feel fine again. Sadly it never works. Luckily this power dwells inside you.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

1 Like

No, it’s them excluding you. They have no principles. It would only take them a few taps to download Signal or an XMPP client.

There are members of my family who are happy with whatsapp. They don’t feel the need to change. It’s their prerogative to have a different opinion.

2 Likes

I need another break from this community.

Take as much time as you need. Here’s a hug.

5 Likes

Dear @paulakreuzer ,

I just wanted to share some of the things I’ve learned over the last year, as I have been having mental health problems. Mine wasn’t really a depression, and I don’t think people should be saying “I know how you feel”, because most probably they don’t. And I certainly don’t know how you feel, but when you do get back, I hope that I’m throwing out a flotation device, that there might be something there to hang on to. Or that it might help someone else.

My problem was more of a burnout, but one built on a long standing confusion between self-esteem and self-worth. It goes back to my teens, where as a geek, I would be quite aware that I didn’t fit in anywhere. At some point, I developed an ability to not care about what others think of me, and initially that was liberating. However, the ability to just shut out what others think, which was probably good in that situation has also been a shield against people saying nice things.

Thus, I had never thought of myself having any value beyond what I have achieved, that is, I had no concept of self-worth. I had self-esteem though, as I have been pretty successful, but as I was burning out, I was unable to keep up to my own high standards, and so, self-esteem quickly collapsed, and since there was no self-worth as security net, I entered a deep, deep crisis.

Even as the immediate crisis subsided, for months, I was unable to think positive thoughts about myself. And I tried, over and over again. Instead, I entered a state of what they call preservative cognition, with the same negative thoughts going on repeat.

I now feel that I’m about to break through. The first positive thoughts came as I started to read psychology papers myself, and that helped me find more specialized psychologists, I ended the first treatment I had and then, I got the first positive thoughts. Progress has been slow, that’s now 5 months ago, but there has been progress. So, one key for me was to spend the little surplus energy I had to assume a little bit of leadership position.

As I read the psychological research literature, I was surprised to learn how much emphasis there is on physical exercise for mental health. Fortunately, I love running in the woods, I just hadn’t done a lot of it for a long time, as I felt that I hadn’t time for it. As I got a sick leave following the crisis, the first thing I did, before being told so, was to start running the way I always loved. That has been a very significant factor in my recovery. Actually, for about half a year, that was the only treatment I had.

Another key for me was to realize that the strategy that I developed in my teens to shut out negative comments from the cool kids was a good strategy then, but it is preventing me from taking in good words now. I needed to open my mind and heart towards it.

Low or absent self-worth seems to be a very significant factor in suicidal ideation. I haven’t been active in this forum (I have an FP3+ though), but I notice from this thread that you’ve are known as a kind and helpful person in this forum, @paulakreuzer . That’s a value that goes beyond actual performance. I know, from my own experience, it is hard to turn that into a good day, but there it is, I hope that when you get back, you can find that to strengthen your self-worth.

Virtual hugs,

Kjetil

9 Likes

I was released from the hospital on April 2nd and I’m almost fine now even though I’m unhappily in love again. :roll_eyes: :broken_heart: I guess it’s because of all the medication I’m already taking, that I’m not falling back into deep depression this time.

16 Likes

Well that’s good news that you left the hospital.
Now it’s coping with everyday life and everything that’s involved.
I so wish that a happy love will come your way.

9 Likes

So I guess everybody who still reads along here deserves some more good news.
Since my last post I had another bad phase, but now I’m fine since a few weeks.
Actually I haven’t felt this good for this long since a long long time.
The reasons are: Another new medication, the great weather (though it’s too hot actually - fuck climate crisis) and my new dog Platon.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I think this was the last time I had to get more medication and I hope in a few months, if I remain stable, I can start reducing.
Also I believe I’m finally on a good path to get over her. At least I can think about her without crying now.
Last time I saw her unexpectedly I was taken aback and felt really bad, but I guess now I’m strong enough that even seeing her wouldn’t take me far down anymore.

Anyway I’m also semi-active as a Fairphone Angel again and it’s nice to be helping people again.
Hope ya’ll are fine too and thanks for standing by me with your nice words. :heart:

21 Likes

I’m very glad to see you back and feeling much better!

5 Likes