Mobilcom Debitel ships with a bunch of bloatware

Just want to warn other buyers that Mobilcom Debitel ships the phone with a bunch of (removable) bloatware.

7 Likes

Can you list the bloatware you found as a reference for comparison?

2 Likes

I remember:

• my Mobilcom Debitel
  • tipico
  • amazon
  • a custom launcher with ads
  • a custom wallpaper
  • Waipu.tv

There were more but I already uninstalled them all, which I don’t recall

6 Likes

As they are removable, I wonder if a factory reset would have gotten rid of everything in one go. Feels like booting to recovery for a reset before even running the setup wizard could save some headache, …if it works.

2 Likes

I also bought my Fairphone 3 from Mobilcom… but there isn’t any bloatware as you mentioned…

1 Like

Same with me - got it from MD but no bloatware.

1 Like

Hi,
I ordered two FP3 at Mobilcom Debitel on 09/24, they were delivered last saturday. Both had the following bloatware pre-installed:

• 24 symbols
  • Amazon shopping
  • eBay Shopping and eBay partner attribution
  • Otto shopping
  • an app starter
  • Audible
  • Jackpot .de
  • Lieferando
  • my Mobilcom Debitel (Mein md)
  • Tipico
  • Waipu .tv
  • Wetter .com

On the packaging there was a note/seal “exciting apps included”…

8 Likes

That’s certainly worrying, does MD perhaps offer Fairphones with and without ‘exciting apps’ in their store?

Fairphone did include some third-party apps to sell phones through Orange France (see here) which are enabled based on the SIM card in the phone, but I don’t know of any deal with MD to include these apps. Maybe @Monica.Ciovica can find out whether Fairphone gave permission to MD to include these apps?

5 Likes

I have informed the team about this thread and waiting for a reply :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I haven’t seen any option to choose whether I want the FP3 with or without ‘exciting apps’. The only option was with or without a mobile contract. I choosed without contract, so maybe there is the difference?
Forgot to mention: developer options were enabled from the beginning (no need to tap build number 7 times), just as USB-debugging - is this normal on FP3 out of the box?

There is nothing on the homepage to indicate “exciting apps” .

They just provide some basic information on the phone. And they clai, to have the phone in stock and deliver instantly.

I had to tap 7 times (FP3 without any bloatware)

I acquired mine two days ago at a local MD store. It came with no bloat ware.

2 Likes

Hi all, just wanted to send an update on this thread. I have gather the info from the team and it seems that it is a standard procedure that mobilcom-debitel is doing for the majority of phones they sell.
It is nothing that we actively supported so this process has been stopped going forward. Apologies for any inconveniences created.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.