Microphone not working anymore

I am waiting since October for my new module.

Hope they get some new soon.

1 Like

Hey there,
really strange that you had to wait so long - I reported my microphone module broken on 6th of December, got the reply that there currently were none available on 7th, and on 15th was notified that there were again modules available, and it got shipped and arrived a few days later!
I did file a report via https://fairphone.zendesk.com/, did you do too?

3 Likes

Yes, i also used this way
Maybe they forgot me. I will send a reminder.

I had the same problem after letting my FP2 drop accidentially. I just tapped it hard where you normally connect the charging cable and it worked again :slight_smile:

After my new mail I got the new module 4 days later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here.
Probably got new ones in stock

1 Like

I’ve replaced my bottom module twice now due to this problem. The primary microphone is currently working again but since I replaced the bottom module again yesterday the sound has stopped working (so no sound for alarms/videos/speakerphone/etc unless I plug in a hands-free or headphones). Going to start/join another topic although seems like they could be connected.

hi everybody,

i have maybe a similar problem. since 4 days my speaker stopped working without any reason (i could see :wink:
with headphone i can talk to somebody, without people on the other side don’t hear me.
Listening works perfect.

As much as i like listening to people… i would also appreciate it to be able to talk and be listened :wink:
so if anybody knows one or more solutions , let me know!

Please follow the official guide:

https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213161166-My-microphone-does-not-work-properly

thank you.
still not working.

I have a problem with the microphone. I did a factory reboot and this did not fix the problem. We checked out the lower module and I think this is the problem. I also cannot connect to my Tesla with Bluetooth. Is this also in the lower module? I ordered the lower module on you website and got a message that it is not available at the present time. When will you have one available? This is a problem since I have a medical office and the FP2 is my principal phone. I don’t have any privacy when I make a call. Please let me know what you can do for me. I don’t want to change phones, but I can’t put lipstick on a pig.

If your microphone is broken, it is most probably a warranty case. Check out this support article and get in contact with Fairphone support.

1 Like

Have you removed the bottom module from the phone and cleaned (dry) the contacts? It might just be a contact problem down there.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my IT friend took out the module and cleaned all the contacts. No change. I really would like a module.

2 Likes

In my case, the problem was not the microphone module but the connection between the microphone module and the rest of the phone:
i put a little folded piece of paper between the bumper and the rest of the display (on the bottom of the phone). If I do so, the microphone works perfect. I think the connection between the bottom microphone module and the display module is a little bit “outworn” and thats why i have to raise the pressure with help of the peace of paper.
Maybe this will help on some other cases, too. Good luck

5 Likes

Hi,

So I just got a new Fairphone 2 last week to replace my year-old phone that had a charging issue with the micro-USB port.

This time, the microphone stopped working after a few days; I had a couple of successful phone conversations, but now the person at the other end of the line can’t hear me at all.

It doesn’t work through any app (Phone, Skype, WhatsApp) and I tried the ‘Hardware Test’ under ‘Settings’ and it’s showing that neither the primary nor rear microphones are working. I’m working my way through the suggested fixes on the forum and will try reassembling the phone and cleaning the contacts between the modules tomorrow, when I get my hands on a tiny screwdriver…

Will keep y’all posted.

3 Likes

I had similar problem and I received a replacement part but after a couple of weeks it has broken again. Help.

Have you already cleaned the contacts?

1 Like

I tried taking apart the phone (including unscrewing Module 2), and putting it back together again. Can I ask what you mean by cleaning the contacts? As in, would you use a dry screen cloth or similar?

I’ve tried pretty much every fix on here, and nothing has worked so far. A friend has suggested that, apart from potentially being a faulty part, it sounds like it could be a ‘dry joint’, i.e. poor soldering? Has anyone heard of this before?

1 Like