Microphone not working anymore

Well, I cannot provide my own experience here, but others have suggested a soft brush (like a small painting brush). Just use something dry. A paper tissue’s corners might help, too. Sometimes just the disassembly and re-assembly might already help to improve contact.

Ok, thanks. I have tried this and it still doesn’t work. I think the last thing to do is a hard reset and then I’ll contact support.

Thanks everyone for advice…I’ve now trying all suggestions it still doesn’t work. I am sadly very disappointed with this phone.

1 Like

If I get a call, the other person doesn’t hear me, but I hear them. What can I do? Is my phone broken or is there something not right in the settings?

I moved your post here.

Please follow the official guide:

https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213161166-My-microphone-does-not-work-properly

Just to keep y’all updated, I contacted support (by email) and they replied quickly and agreed it was a defective bottom module. They offered to send a replacement part, but these are currently not in stock (nor being produced yet).

I went through my phone provider (Phone Coop) who provided me with a replacement phone.

1 Like

Hey there, same here: Primary mic not working and there are no replacement part in stock.

After big problems with service, no working dual-sim (and 5 sec waiting is not cool) and now this, without having a solution at hand - by the way support was abolutly quck and friendly!

I’m that much convinced about pulling the idea foreward, but that’s not the way. I’m that much dissapointed about this phone.

After waiting since early February, I received my replacement module yesterday. Replacing was easy and worked perfectly, so at least this part of the concept works great.

3 Likes

Awesome! I reported the same issue in the middle of February and was told that the the assembly lines were temporarily stopped. I was getting anxious for a replacement part and it appears that they are now active again.

Should anybody still experience this problem. By plugging in the usb charger and bending is gently forward while squeezing the phairphone at its logo I’ve been able to restore some of the microphones functionality. It is not very practical but can be useful in a pinch. Because of this I think that the use (and abuse) of the usb port is is causing the microphone to become lose and eventually stop functioning.

1 Like

I had the same problem although it was quite arbitrary, the problem didn’t persist (occurred “one and off”) and after a while the microphone would always work again. Sometimes it got worse while it was charging.
I disassembled the phone completely and carefully cleaned all the contacts which helped a bit but didn’t solve it. This morning I did a hard reset because of other issues and so far it’s been working fine.

1 Like

That page does not exist anymore!

Seems they’ve switched to a unified troubleshooting guide. I believe the information on the page that doesn’t exist any more was the same as the information that can be found in the troubleshooter via ‘Calls’ > ‘The caller can’t hear me’.

2 Likes

Hi there! Yes, that is correct!
Troubleshoot your microphone through the troubleshooting guide to find out if it’s a hardware or software issue.
Customer support can then help you further.

same here. the caller can only hear me when I am using the “loudly-mode” … this means, the mic does work, but it’s a software problem, right? what was the solution for this? thank you for a hint

Speaker phone mode uses the secondary microphone to pick up audio. Your primary microphone may still be defective. The best way forward is to follow the instructions in the troubleshooting guide above - if something does need to be replaced, it’ll help you give Fairphone support all the info they need to process the case as quickly as possible.

1 Like

Hi, hald the same issue, the 2nd module worked for 4 months. And the speaker is also broken. I don’t know if I should contact the support again?

Hello fairphoners,
Yesterday the microphone of my FP2 suddenly stopped working. I have make test of all parts of the hardware and everything was correct except the microphone, that doesn’t work anymore.
Do you think that I have to buy a new microphone component? Could you please send me the link of the FP2 components shop?

Thank you.

@Violeta_Garcia_Carre: There’s a two year warranty on the phone, so unless there’s damage due to improper handling, you should be able to get a new one from Fairphone. The best thing to do is to follow the instructions posted a few posts back:

1 Like

Hello. Since a few time I had troubles with my microphone. When people called me or I called them, they couldn’t hear me while I could hear them. I was puting of the battery and rebooting the phone and then it worked again. Now it stopped working for real. I don’t get why. I tried to update and to see if the pieces were well positionned inside. Do you think I should buy a new microphone?

Thanks for you help!

1 Like

The more recent posts in this topic (I’ve moved your post) should be useful.

1 Like