Microphone not working anymore

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP2: speech quality: peer callers often do not understand me properly

Does anyone have any expierence with changing the whole microphone module? it is not that expensive, but I don’t wanna pay for it if it’s e.g. a software problem or something.

1 Like

I am having the same doubt, wouldn’t mind ordering it but would prefer to hear the experience of others first.
Hope someone will tell us.

1 Like

If it was a software bug, everyone would be affected, but apparently it is only very few users. Did you have this problem since the beginning? If yes, it might be malfunctioning hardware. You can also pretty much rule out a software issue by reinstalling your OS.
In any case, if you got your phone with a defective hardware, you won’t need to pay anything as it falls under warranty.

1 Like

I have this problem too - microphone just stopped working and I cannot make/receive calls. Contacted Support Desk four weeks ago - automated response to say query was logged but nothing since. Have emailed twice since then and still no response.
I know my phone is under warranty but that does not help if Support refuses to engage with me.
How do I return my phone for repair?

1 Like

Unfortunately the support if overworked and has a big backlog. It is faster to call them, or if you think you’re waiting too long for a reply, you can also post it here.

Do you think it’s possible to order the new module and get the price refunded later on? I really don’t want to wait for support to answer me until I can make simple phone calls again!
Especially since the delivery costs 13,80€ on top of the 20,60, for a mistake in the phone beyond my influence.

1 Like

Call them, that speeds up replies very much. :wink:

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Sending or receiving calls is impossible because no one can here me. Something strange happened this afternoon though. The Phone charger was plugged in and while removing the charger the person on the other side hear some noise and for one moment she could here me very clearly. And than that moment disappeared.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad contact either in the bottom module, or between the bottom module and the rest of the phone. It might be worth removing the bottom module and putting it back in again. If the problem doesn’t go away, check with support about potentially getting a replacement module under warranty.

Also: you’ll probably find that calls still work in conference call mode (uses a different mic), in case you really need to make a call.

3 Likes

Hi Johannes,

I had the ame issue for weeks. I have removed and put back the bottom module. It is now working back to normal.

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I would like to know if this is a software problem or a physical problem of the speaker.
While having the call pushing the button “loudspeaker” then the other one can hear me.
This F2 Fairphone is already a replacement of the first one i got and had to send back beecause of other problems!
How shall i ever recommend Fairphone to my business partners? too many trouble.
regards
Herbert

1 Like

I’ve moved your post here, as this topic already discusses the same issue.

hi, Just want to say also have the same complaint…people I call with complain that they cannot hear me. I don’t make many calls so haven’t done anything about it yet. Not looking forward to having to take phone apart or reset, etc, etc, possibly without results (as am not technically minded). Is there a shop I can take it to for support? I live in Amsterdam.

Also as not everyone I call with complains, it may be like other posts in this thread, that the problem comes and goes, or changes with each new update of the phone’s software…

regards,

Elise

1 Like

Hi,

The support contacted me and they will sent a replacement bottom module when it is back in stock again.
Repacing the bottom module is very, very simple and they send a manual in the support email.

Hopes this helps, I am currently waiting for the replacement module.

Best regards Pieter

2 Likes

Same for me. The mic stopped working this afternoon. No special event that I can think of.
Those past weeks, people have complained they could not hear me well. Might be related.
Will send a message to support.

edit: audio is correctly recorded when recording a video on the phone
edit2: things are working OK this morning. unsure what to make of this.

1 Like

Videos use a different microphone than the one used for normal calls. It actually uses the same one as is used for conference calls, so that will probably still work if you need to make a call. In some cases removing and putting the bottom module back in the phone gets things going again, in other cases the bottom module will need to be replaced. The latter is something that Fairphone Support will get back to you about.

3 Likes

Hi, i posted a thred here in the beginning of the summer about the same problem. Since then I have done everything i could find in the forum, but still i cannot talk in my fp2. The mic module looks clean. I can only use the load speaker mic and with some headsets. But it is also problematic because the screen goes black when i make calls or get them. What to do?

2 Likes

If your microphone doesn’t work even after you tried several workarounds, you may have a hardware defect, so open ticket and get it replaced under warranty.

This is a different issue; with the latest software version you can recalibrate the proximity sensor to fix this issue.

2 Likes

Having read earlier posts & having similar problem - microphone does not work on conventional calls, I contacted my supplier - PhoneCoop in the UK.

At their suggestion I performed several tests but still the problem persists.

I have found an effective workaround - to either use the phone on speakerphone, when the microphone does work or to use it via a Blue Tooth headset when calls can be made without the microphone.

Until the last few weeks I have had very low use of the telephone facility but it was working perfectly but seems not to be working properly since the ltest one or two software updates of which there seem to have been several in the last few weeks.

I hope Fairphone are liaising with Phonecoop and that a software update remedy is initiated within a few hours.

This is very irritating and inconvenient and seems a basic error which should not have occurred as the microphone itself works ok but just not when being used in conventional telephone calls.

1 Like