Wallpaper and style’ setting (Material You) missing in FP4 version of Android 12?

You can change it to ugly green or brown pee ~ see [Basic colours]

I don’t have an FP4 but an FP3 (with the beta of Android 13) and I can choose based on the wallpaper colours but not using the basic colours:

1 Like

As discussed extensively above, those settings are missing on the FP4

today arrived an update. Now are a lot of the colors pinkish. How to change that? The update sayed something about color, but where?

In short: not possible or only possible by changing wallpaper, in long read above

1 Like

It is completely un-understandable that the patch notes say that you can “FURTHER” personalise your Fairphone with accents when you have absolutely no control over it and it automatically picks colours based on your background! Now I had to pick a different background so the colours don’t look like absolute trash!

This is isn’t just ignorance of UX. This is actively stupid.

4 Likes

In my (very limited) experience it isn’t unimaginable… It does indeed pick the wallpaper’s principal colors, but apparently, in my very limited sample size of 1, there seems to be some leeway on which colors it considers principal. Again, might be me: My wallpapers are huge star maps I only display a part of, so I don’t really know which part it processes for “accent” colors, the whole thing or just the displayed part. All I know is I managed to get accent colors which apparently aren’t really widely used in the wallpaper, but which suited me, so I didn’t explore it further…
Till we get A13 and the enhanced controls, the only solution is trial and error.

Agree, but apparently this is actually Google’s fault, not Fairphone’s.
I get enough flak for daring to criticize Fairphone when they blunder, but in this case we need to “render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s”: As released, Android 12 did apparently have the accent color feature, but no way to control those accent colors. Which meant that 90% of wallpapers were bound to yield some digestion-related results… Google only fixed this in Android 13, from what I heard (don’t know first hand, it’s my first phone with Android >11).

2 Likes

No I have A13 beta and it’s the same ugly :frowning:

I have now a dark, blurry, bluish with a bit yellow pic in the BG.
It makes the Buttons nice bluish. Like before.

1 Like

Or try to use Repainter. Works for me but my phone is rooted.

Not exactly the kind of background one would like to have, but the buttons seem to be more annoying to me, if the color can’t be chosen.

yes, I prefere a black BG, so this is good (for now) for me.

Seems really random! I have a brown-blue-black background now, and my buttons are - white… :rofl:

I just use Muzei (GitHub|Google Play|F-Droid) with my wallpaper folder as a source for a new random color every few hours.

Gotta embrace the randomness :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not sure I understand you right, sorry, but what controls are you refering to? Those?

1 Like

Android 12 does, FP didn’t implement it as it should be. This is definitely a FP issues and not a Google/Android one.

I think the FP dev team should in part use their own phones, because sometimes the only reason these things get through is because they don’t notice the mistakes they make. By using your “own poison” it may speed up troubleshooting and bug squashing. And secondly, some devs should own a Pixel. Because it really seems like they don’t know how Android should work. Having an example of how things fit together could really help.

5 Likes

The changelog of this monthly update suggested that the user can modify it as on any Android 12 device. FP isn’t a pure AOSP release. I’m sure FP will finally update the wallpaper app and I suppose we will be able to edit the colors as well.

1 Like

Hi. Since the past Update my colors are “optimised” by something. I now have a “dog-sh… brown” which I really do not like. Before the update, there was a notice, that this can be changed, but I cannot find the place where to get back to where it was before.
I even cannot understand why the background color of my desktops should influence my button colors in the menues. If there is a link, I could read the reason, I am willing to try to understand, but now I would call it a “disaster” when I use nice words.
thanks for any help
Juergen