Make, crop & share screenshots in three steps

On my Huawei P30 I could take a screenshot, open “edit”, crop it and then directly share the cropped screenshot via an app.

On my FP4 I take the screenshot, open ‘edit’, find the crop option somewhere hidden behind other options, crop it, save the crop as a copy, open Photos app, find the screenshot and share it.

How can I get a workflow as seamless as on the Huawei phone?

As far as I see, the App used as gallery is responsible.
You could try Simple Gallery Pro (Play Store / F-Droid) as an alternative to the default gallery App, editor looks like this after choosing to edit a screenshot with it …

Once installed, Android should offer a choice of gallery Apps next time you want to edit a freshly taken screenshot.
Sharing works with the current editing status, the edit doesn’t need to be saved first (I just tried).

7 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try it out.

Works great, thanks!

2 Likes

just a warning in case you like Simple Gallery well enough that you’ll decide to disable Google Photos that comes preinstalled; keep in mind that the stock camera won’t let you open last used images from the viewfinder if you disable Photos, and will crash if you try it. personally I can live with it, but I’m just throwing it out there. I’m also hoping they’re gonna change that in some future update.

4 Likes

Good advice (that came a bit too late :joy:). Does the support team already know about that?

no idea. I’m planning to use my 4 for a few weeks as it is and compile a list of my impressions instead of flooding the support with a bunch of short emails, so I haven’t let them know about it yet.

also in case you don’t know, you can still reenable Google Photos if you go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all X apps, and scroll down to Photos.

2 Likes

To be honest, I think it is easier for support to have each problem as a separate ticket. I just opened one for this topic. I find it surprising that Fairphone OS is so deeply interwoven with Google apps in some places.

2 Likes

For me it’s not surprising. FPOS is no Google free system. There are people appreciating Google apps. For others alternatives like LineageOS, /e/OS, iodéOS et al come (hopefully soon) into play…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.