Hello community!

I tried to install Lineage OS using these two manuals:
Install LineageOS on FP3 | LineageOS Wiki
✏ FP3/FP3+: Complete guide for installing LineageOS

In the first tutorial I stuck here (it uses the “flash” attribute"):
fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210816-recovery-FP3.img
fastboot: error: boot partition is smaller than boot image

and on the one from the forum.fairphone:
fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210816-recovery-FP3.img Sending ‘boot.img’ (65536 KB) OKAY [ 2.345s]
Booting OKAY [ 11.693s]
Finished. Total time: 14.127s

Looks good, right? But it does not boot lineage os… For ~3 seconds “another” android text logo is showing which is different from the original Fairphone OS logo. But then the normal Fairphone OS starts… I never reach the point 6a to factory reset and sideload the lineage.zip

Do you have any ideas what I could try next?
Thanks in advance and best regards
dA LoL

With fastboot boot img you just temporarily boot the recovery like TWRP and from there you would install LOS afterwards. Actual LOS OS is no img file but a ZIP file. The img file is just the recovery you can use instead of TWRP to flash the operating system itself

Edit: so this is what your are doing after the recovery was temporarily booted?

1. If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
  • With the device powered off, hold Volume Up<+ >Power</
    Release when boot logo appears.
  1. Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
  2. Return to the main menu.
  3. Sideload the LineageOS .zip package:
  • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
  • On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip.

Hello yvmuell and thank you for your answer.

To your 1)
If I start my phone with Volume Up + Power I see a dead android with a “no command” text…
Should I follow this tutorial or another one? “Install LineageOS on FP3 | LineageOS Wiki
For now I am a bit confused in the order of my todos…

To your 2) This should be in a boot menu right? Now in the “preinstalled Fairphone OS”, because I never reached that point.

Do I need TWRP ? Because so far I could never sideload the .zip file:
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210816-nightly-FP3-signed.zip
adb: sideload connection failed: closed
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: closed

Thanks in advance

• OEM Is unlocked
  • USB Debugging ON
  • adb devices works
  • adb reboot bootloader works
  • fastboot devices works

To my understanding:

• seeing the lying roboter means you see the standard FP recovery not the LOS recovery you tried to temporarily boot with fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210816-recovery-FP3.img

So what I would do:
boot temporarily the LOS recovery again (no you do not need TWRP). Then directly reboot into recovery (Vol-up+power) if this does not happen automatically.
In this menu you should be able to follow the steps I copied above (those are coming from LOS installation giude) or 6a in the forum guide

So then I understood everything correct. As I wrote in my first message:
"fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210816-recovery-FP3.img Sending ‘boot.img’ (65536 KB) OKAY [ 2.345s]
Booting OKAY [ 11.693s]
Finished. Total time: 14.127s

Looks good, right? But it does not boot lineage os… For ~3 seconds “another” android text logo is showing which is different from the original Fairphone OS logo. But then the normal Fairphone OS starts… "

So from console point of view it looked great, but my phone was never booting Lineage OS, not even in the recovery mode. Not a single time! I tried more than 15 times repeating all the steps…

Thanks again!

EDIT: YEAASSS!!! In help of these two commands I was able to reach the Lineage OS Recovery Mode !!!
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash boot_a lineage-18.1-20210816-recovery-FP3.img
after that, pressing Volume UP and Start Button…

Juhu now it works! Thanks a lot @yvmuell for the mental support!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.