Lineage 17.1 - FP2

Now doing it, a bit late, but better late than never!

I can confirm the “Rooted debugging option” didn’t appear for me either, and never had in the past. I had already noticed this when my brother installed LOS on his own device, he had this option, and I didn’t (although having our devices under the same build). A few other options were a bit different (mainly a difference in the name, some contained capital letters on my phone and not on his).
I reinstalled the system on a second FP2 and copied my data, and now the “Rooted debugging” option appears, though there are still options that are named differently on our two devices.
It seems some options on the device remain in the same state as their when they the system was originally installed, and don’t update when the system is updated. Strange…

Don’t forget that general lineage questions could (or should) be asked to the lineage team on IRC or reddit.

Chris

1 Like

I’m running the latest build of LOS 17.1 and I’m using apps like Conversations or Signal for calls sporadically. Now I had to learn that people that I’m calling experience a very strong echo. I have called via those two apps from time to time in the past already and cannot remember having had this issue so strong after most of the apps switched to the software echo cancellation. I’ve checked the LOS change log if I can find any suspicious changes but didn’t find any. I have checked the issue with the phone alone (strong echo especially in Signal), with the Fairphone headset (almost identical to phone alone) and with another headset I had lying around (almost no echo at all). The echo disappears with the Fairphone headset if I remove the ear plugs from the cable btw, but that is most probably just the way electricity works :wink:
Can anyone confirm these issues in LOS especially in Signal, is this the same in other OSes and can anyone tell if that has ever been better (what I do think but cannot say for sure)?

1 Like

I can confirm this issue, and have experienced it just not long ago. I have done a few tests, it seems some apps (VOIP or videoconferencing tools) record the sound with the primary as well as with the secondary microphone (located in the top module). This is what leads to this echo, while it should record only with one microphone.
IIRC this issue doesn’t happen on FPO(O)S for some reason, but does happen on custom ROMs. And I have no clue how to tell these apps to use the microphone correctly.

1 Like

Although I want to believe your explanation with the two microphones, there are a few things that speak against this: From what you write it sounds like “your” echo means that the person I’m calling can hear me twice (with echo thus). In my case the other person can hear himself/herself taking with a small delay again. And if it was really about the two mikes then it should disappear completely with whatever headset. But that’s not the case.
For Conversations I even opened an issue some time ago and that was fixed and that fix used to work not only in FPOS but also in LOS:

Maybe it has to make with WebRTC having been updated… I probably should open a new thread to find out if people on other OSes have the same issue lately again…

1 Like

The FP2 offers to test my theory very simply: let’s just remove the top or the bottom module and see (well, hear :wink:).

Echo in VOIP calls?

2 Likes

@Martin_Anderseck my brother lives in New Zeeland since a year and we always used Signal for calls without issues. 1-2 weeks ago I installed 17.1 (due to the mobile data issues I still had 16.0 installed) and yesterday I had the first Signal call since the Update and it was very bad in terms of Echos when having the speaker loud. My brother heard himself twice and I could hear a very nasty sound/back coupling…so seems this is really connected to LOS17.1

1 Like

You should try the next build.

Chris

4 Likes

I guess we can close this topic.

17.1 is no longer built nor supported. Please save your data and upgrade.

Chris

6 Likes