Lineage-16.0 (Android Pie) Nightly

Updated the modem firmware tot the latest release, but that didn’t fix the issue.

I have no problem whatsoever with WiFi at home or at work.

I’m no WiFi expert, but I guess we need some input here for troubleshooting. For a start …

Which router model do you use?
Which WiFi frequency … 2.4 or 5 GHz?
Are the WiFi channels your router operates on noticeably crowded? You can check with e.g. WiFi Analyzer (F-Droid / Play Store).

Well I don’t expect any problems with my WiFi network, I can honestly say that I know quite a bit about wireless networking.

• Ubiquiti Edgerouter X SFP
  • 2x Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC LITE
  • 1x Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC LR
  • Both 2.4 and 5 GHz on channels with low interference with neighboring networks (band steering to 5Ghz)

The problem with the WiFi on my FP2 happend directly after updating to the newest release of LineageOS.

Oh, so upgrading from 15.1 to 16.0 triggered the issue? I didn’t get that, sorry.

Did you upgrade leaving data and Apps in place, or did you delete everything to install from scratch?

Almost correct ;-). Updating my 16.0 installation to the newest release triggered the issue.

1 Like

You do realize there are daily (or better: nightly) releases for LineageOS 16.0? Hence my confusion.
The newest release is yesterday’s release, if not today’s, depending on the hour :wink: .

But in this case: Which build triggered the issue for you?

Around that date, many wifi security fixes were added Lineage 16 - wifi

Maybe this broke something. @StevenHachel reported it fixes Apple router support (at least that’s what I understood)

Chris

5 Likes

Works perfect. :grin:
Steven

1 Like

I have no problems with WiFi so far.
Connections are stable and establishing a connection works without problems.
I use the LOS version from 11.07.2019 at the moment.

1 Like

@WoBoW can you try to narrow down the problems? Use only 2.4 GHz for example, or channel width.
Can you also provide logcat and dmesg output when it happens?
Chris

Something different: in the past I checked the changelog to see which update included the monthly security patches. It used to be sufficient to search for “bump security string to XXX” or something similar.
The last couple of months that has changed and I don’t know how to identify which update is the one with the security patches.

Does anyone know how to find out nowadays?

2 Likes
1 Like

That actually leaves me more confused than before.

It shows a timestamp of “by on 12:01AM - 14 May 19 UTC”
How can the July security patch be committed in May?!?

It might sound stupid, but it also doesn’t answer any of the following questions I’m gonna ask myself next month when I want to know which update will contain the August patch

1 Like

I tried to upgrade from LoS 15.1 with TWRP 3.2.3-0 by formatting /system and installing zip lineage-16.0-20190713-nightly-FP2-signed.zip.
After reboot I’m getting

Fehler bei der Verschlüsselung. Das von dir eingegebene Passwort ist korrekt, aber deine Daten sind beschädigt. Damit du dein Spartphone weiterhin verwenden kannst, musst du es auf die Werkseinstellung zurücksetzen…

I gess their is a problem because my card is encrypted!?

LineageOS 15.1 did still work with encryption already done with LineageOS 14.1.
LineageOS 16.0 doesn’t anymore, and this is the message you get in this case.

1 Like

I can’t find an option to decrpyt my phone. Do I have to format all data?

If you want to have 16.0, yes.

If you don’t have a backup of your important data yet, TWRP 3.2.3 should be able to access the data partition with the old encryption, and you could backup Internal Storage via USB and the rest of the data partition via TWRP backup (which doesn’t include Internal Storage).

Or perhaps an install of 15.1 without wiping anything could get you back to a working Android, but I don’t know myself whether that works.

2 Likes

Sorry I’ve been away for a while, and completely missed the LineageOS 16 train.

Right now, I have LineageOS 15.1 for microG installed on my Fairphone 2, and I am interested in upgrading to LineageOS 16.0 for microG which is apparently available here.

Sorry I haven’t been able to real all 170+ posts in this thread in detail, but I am getting the impression that there are some issues with encryption (for example, in this post). My current Fairphone 2 is encrypted via the system setting in its current LineageOS 15.1, does that mean I cannot upgrade to 16.0 at this time?

I also see that TWRP is now at version 3.3.1, which is available for the Fairphone 2 (I am still on 3.2.x). If I upgrade my TWRP to 3.3.1, can I then install LineageOS 16.0? Or are Fairphone 2s encrypted under LineageOS 15.1 still un-upgradable at this time without data loss? Thank you!

1 Like

Hello and big thanks to @chrmhoffmann and everybody else involved!
I’m on LOS 16 since 2 weeks.
Right now everything is working fine but I’m having random reboots, several times a day. The occur in different situations, while using the phone or when its just lying around. My phone is rooted. (Version is 16.0-20190717)
Any ideas? Should I provide some logfiles or stuff like that?
Thanks!

1 Like

@avamk, if you encrypted in 15.1, you can upgrade to 16. If you encrypted in 14.1 and then upgraded to 15.1, you can’t upgrade to 16.
TWRP has nothing to do with that. Stay on 3.2. 3.3 is buggy as f***.

4 Likes