Let's have some #fun!

No it’s a problem with the case it has a hole in it and doesn’t fully protect the screen, that is why it looks a bit odd.

We are talking about the new 100% recycled screen protector with bumper add on ?

5 Likes

Fairphone just listened to the complaints and left a small area uncovered – this substitutes the missing LED lamp. Well done! :+1:

15 Likes

This is ment as a joke right? Else you did not understqnd what protective case means.

It’s no joke, the hole in the case is ugly even if it is as @urs_lesse suggested an attempt to appease all the new FP4 owners who are missing a little lightness. So depressing I’m so glad i didn’t buy one of those ridiculous screen protectors.

If it were me I would have contacted total_joke|at|failphone|dot|con

1 Like

Haha, hope you’re joking too cause I never thought anyone might believe it :wink: Even less with this topic title :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Juste saw this @Lidwien, and I guess the automatic translation couldn’t know you meant rooting a phone, but it makes it very funny in French. I can’t stop imagining a Fairphone that has been planted in the soil and is being watered :rofl: (wait… oh no it’s not waterproof!)
So no, in French we say “rooter un téléphone”, “le téléphone est rooté”, there isn’t an equivalent, but you couldn’t know :wink:

11 Likes

Actually, you could just get the auto-translated text auto-translated back to the other language again … it might give hints to an issue such as this, and it might be funny.

“Ist Ihr Fairphone verwurzelt?” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

As I was not sure of the right word, I had also said it in English.
But at least I made you laugh.

7 Likes

Very unlike the French to not translate this word, like ordinateur, octet and myriad others!

I’m tempted to start using a Dutch word for rooting from now on - is uw telefoon wel geworteld?

7 Likes

To be fair, a lot of English slang doesn’t get translated in French either.

It would be nice to use the same term in all languages, but then again I guess it would also be nice if everyone only spoke one language

3 Likes

I rather liked Lidwien’s enraciné, though I think I might use déraciné. As Alex says, for IT and a lot of other modern stuff the French have a tendency to just use the English word - sometimes even when they have a perfectly good word. They’re always talking about the “shift” key, much more than “majuscules”. But of course in English we’ve been borrowing other people’s words for centuries :wink:

Excellent! In English we’ve borrowed wurzel for one of the root crops, mangelwurzel or mangold wurzel.
Mangelwurzels - this is what your Android phone looks like when it's been rooted.
Rooted Android

7 Likes

For those who’ve never seen it, an excellent Norwegian sketch from 2001 imagining the Helpdesk back in the mediaeval days of the end of the scroll and the introduction of the codex. There’s a more recent American version that’s not nearly as good in my opinion. I remember how we laughed when it came out.

9 Likes

“Votre ordiphone fonctionne-t-il bien ?” :rofl:

For non-french speakers, that was the French word invented back in 2010-11 to replace the english word “smartphone”, and it was a fail :joy: But you can still find it in very old posts of the forum.

6 Likes

I guess you (non-German) folks are aware that the Germans actually use an English word for cell/mobile/smartphone that the English themselves don’t use for the same thing – the Handy.
(In fact, not the only “English” word Germans use to describe things that English native speakers use all different words for.)

5 Likes

:joy:
I’ve always thought, when considering the use we make of computers, that the French word ordinateur is better suited than the English. But ordiphone never had a chance I think :rofl:

Yes, I noted that with interest some years ago, But there are plenty of strange borrowings as you say. I love the bizarreness of language though I was never much good at school, too lazy :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I think the Do not buy Fairphone thread was started by an admin who wanted to do a server load test …

6 Likes

Checking device battery charge level from computer when connected with USB

For those who didn’t know, when your device is connected to a Windows computer with USB, you can check the charge level without handling the phone. Just open the Windows Explorer, go to “This PC” and open the properties of the device.
I expect the same can be done with Linux and Mac. It can be handy when the phone’s a little way from your keyboard …

image This is the epitome of geeky laziness. :sunglasses:

Other examples welcome …

2 Likes

I give you KDE Connect, it does the same (and so much more), over wifi :smiley:

grafik

Don’t be discouraged by the screenshot, it’s available for Windows as well :smirk:

Also check out scrcpy, if you want to reach peak laziness and even control your phone with mouse, keyboard and screen mirroring directly on your PC :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m such a lazy bastard that I have

adb shell input keyevent KEYCODE_POWER

set under the alias fp2 so I just type fp2 into a terminal window to turn the screen on and off to check for messages.

Can’t go around pressing power buttons all day after all. Think of the time I’m saving!

11 Likes

Sounds funny, even though I don’t really understand everything. Can you post a step-for-step tutorial? :sweat_smile: