📊 Language Tags - "Final" Vote

That’s no problem at all from a technical point of view. The forum css is heavily modified by Fairphone’s general website look-and-feel.

Sounds good and would offer some nice options.

This is how it would look like with underline instead of color and a “lang:” prefix:

@Roboe or @Stefan: Would CSS rules work with suffixes too?
Because prefixes make it harder to tag topics. If you enter “lang:” in the tags field you’ll get 5 suggestions and if you write on you sill can’t get other options:

Sure you could write the whole thing and then hit enter, but that’s how mistakes happen and soon we’d have #lang:français::tag and #lang:francais::tag and so on… (*)

What works is ignoring the “lang:” and simply typing “deu…” in the tags field:

But that’s not very intuitive.

Also lang:現代標準漢語 will be hard.

*PS: Would it be possible to change lang:francais to français with CSS? Because the ç seens to break the ability to mention a tag.

Just a FYI: tulips aren’t edible!!

You are right of course. Just happened to stumble upon the wrong ISO code (ISO 3166-2).
But I did not mean the regional indicator symbols.
E.g. the emoji-flag for France:

Press the Copy-button on that page and paste it here, you get:
:fr:
Paste it in MS Word and you get:
FR

My bad.

A css selector like this would work:

a[href$=":lang"]

but with the disadvantage that this would not only select tags as in

a[href^="/tags/lang:"]

but any href ending with “:lang”.

1 Like

Yes they are:

But honestly, I wasn’t thinking about eating them :wink:

Ich hatte Pippi in den Augen… :slight_smile: / You made my eyes rain

1 Like

From the Discourse Meta:

That’s a point I hadn’t thought of yet. I think we didn’t really run into this problem yet mainly because of the fact that flags are very obvious, so a non-english topic without the tag will stand out and be tagged fast.

So I think any alternative that doesn’t at least use color won’t be any good.

3 Likes

I suggested using colons to be coherent with #dic entries, but we can use other characters. E.g. #lang-español and #lang-français will be picked fine by a similar CSS rule (changing the colon for a hyphen). Does that solve the forum suggestions issue?

The reason for the prefix at all is because it requires just a single CSS rule, not one for each language (badly maintainable). Using a suffix is viable too but has a little caveat, as @_Chris kindly pointed.

I have to correct myself slightly. Lately it sometimes happens that a post is either tagged or gets a flag in the title (e.g. by the OP) and then it isn’t so obvious that one of the two is missing and I often add it quite some time after the topic was created.

So I think we should really move away from the tag+title system and only use a tag.
I still think including a flag in the tag brings more advantages than disadvantages, so I’d prefer deutsch🇩🇪, français🇫🇷, english🇬🇧, italiano🇮🇹, español🇪🇸, … but I also wouldn’t veto lang:deutsch, lang:français, lang:english, lang:italiano, lang:español, … if a majority wants that.

I think it’s time for a poll. Are there any other options than the two above that should be included? I don’t think it’s a good idea to include all/many options, but a few more would be OK.

1 Like

I prefer the flags.
Flags shows you in an instance what is meant and text (lang:deutsch) not.

4 Likes

Let’s poll!

Please first read the options and then vote below.
I attached example screenshots of what the options would look like and used the Playground Topic as a guinea pig.

Option 1: Leaving Things The Way They Are

This system with flags as tags and flags in the title was created to work around the issue that not everybody on any device with any software can see the flag in the tag.
The biggest disadvantage of using a symbol in the title is that one can forget to use the tag as well, which is the more important part.

Option 2: Languages + Flags As Tags

Adds the language to the tag to better indicate that in this case the flags are not supposed to represent countries (as they usually do obviously), but languages. Also this makes the meaning of the tags obvious for those who don’t see flag-tags without the need of the additional flag in the title.

If your device/OS doesn't support emoji it will look like this

Option 3: Blue-Colored Language Tags

This option gets rid of the flag symbols completely (to avoid people not feeling included) and adds color instead to highlight language tags above other tags.
The actual tags would be written like this: lang:現代標準漢語, but with the help of CSS you wouldn’t see the lang:-part and instead the color would change to blue.

So Which Option Do You Prefer?

Choose your favorite option, or two if you can’t decide or all 3 if all are fine by you.

• Option 1
  • Option 2
  • Option 3

0 voters

Why vote now instead of keeping the discussion going?

I don’t see the results of this vote as final and we can keep discussion.
I’d just really like to move away from option A and to a tags-only system. Once we only use tags we can quickly change the system whenever we find something better (like e.g. when ISO 639-1 code symbols can be used as tags), as long as we use tags + symbols in the title changing is quite a lot of work and I’d like to get it over with as soon as possible.

2 Likes

There are two other disadvantages in option 1:

• The emoji in the title creates ugly sentences in places where the emojis are not rendered. (I’ thinking about the :pencil2: blablabla-topics that often appear next to support articles in the official support database, for example. There are other places too.)
  • The current language tag cannot be used on Windows computers because there is no way to insert the emoji-tag. On my computer I cannot tag topics with the emoji-tag because of the same reason.
2 Likes

Did you know that we are actually featured at meta.discourse.org for our language tags? :smirk:

2 Likes

I find the Other Languages category solution anglo-centrist. I find the tags solution truly clever, but our emoji implementation is country-centrist (sooo 19th century) as I stated early, quoting the W3C.

Also, Stef… excuse me, 😛

Edit: BTW, I just thought I should put this here for future reference. With the existing emoji tags for languages I cannot mute tags of languages I don’t understand at all because emoji tags are not well-supported. They just pop anyway in my New section.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.