Keep club - Fairphone web, how to enter?

Yeah, maybe I misjudged the weight of the spare parts in the ‘buy stuff’ equation a bit. It initially just kinda seemed to me that simply buying a new Fairphone will give you disproportionally many points compared to all the other actions. We’ll see I guess.

I guess I just tend to use higher sustainability-standards when judging products and programs coming from Fairphone, since sustainability and repairability is the main selling point here. It’s still better than much of the stuff provided by other players in the Smartphone Industry, I was/am just sceptical wether it’ll further improve the situation from the level where we’re at now.

What is the official state of the program now? I for one would say we could consider it available, now that it’s listed in the official shop profile and people can sign up and complete challenges with their regular shop-accounts. It’s still a bit buggy though. (And the missing agreement checkbox for the Terms and Conditions may be an issue, if I didn’t miss anything.)

Edit:

Oh, that changes things a bit. I somehow missed that part completely when reading your response before. It’s not as extremely disproportionally weighted as I first thought then.

1 Like

@Marta_Artigas I’m a little bit confused: After my first 50 points I got an email that I’ve leveled up to copper and in that mail I read that this includes free shipping. However on the keep club page I read that only from the next step on this is included. I didn’t find the keep club terms and conditions yet to see what might be right but anyway, it should be consistent somehow.
And of course a pity that the almost seven birthdays of my FP2 don’t count, but that’s okay.

Yeah, it also took me some time to stumble upon any terms and conditions, since they weren’t linked on the signup page when I signed up, but they do exist on the following page:

I have yet to study the whole thing, but according to my Strg+F search shipping is not mentioned in there at all. Neither specification of the various Tier levels beyond their existence.

3 Likes

yes, the same experience here. I think this is the early-stage programme mistake.

sorry to hear about FP2 not included

I still cannot obtain points for signing up for the newsletter. I put my email address, confirm the subscription, receive an email confirmation about completing the Keep Challenge and that’s it - no points obtained, the challenge still greyed, is it just me?

1 Like

It stays greyed out for me as well, but when I check the log above I can see that I got them anyway. Have you checked that?

hey, thanks for checking that up.

I don’t have points for it, and the points received do not even match the challenges officially completed, as adding them would equal 70 points:/

I know it is trivial and I feel kinda stupid mentioning it:)

1 Like

I am a very happy owner of two FP3 phones (one from 2020, the other from 2021), both with /e/OS on them.

And while I was quite stoked about the new Keep Club programme and that it says it primarily aims to reward using your phone as long as possible, I am very disappointed that it limits the programme only to stock OS that Fairphone installs on the device.

Excerpt from Keep Club T&C §5. Using Your Keep Club Points (emphasis mine):

5.1 You collect Points by completing various activities that fall into one of the following categories:

• Joining the club: Receive 20 points for consenting to join the Keep Club
  • Phone’s Birthday: Earn 20 points for every year you keep your phone! To be eligible, please enter your IMEI number in the required form in your account. We calculate your phone’s birthday based on the date you booted up for the first time. You can only collect birthday points for one phone at a time, the most recent one you entered into the form. This activity is limited to Fairphone 3 or Fairphone 3+, Fairphone 4 and Fairphone 5 models running on Android. Neither Fairphone 2, nor Fairphones powered with alternative OSes (such as e/OS/) can be used.

/e/OS is an Android system, just as Fairphone’s Android install is. An alternative OS would be e.g. SailfishOS or Phosh or Plasma Mobile, which are directly Linux-based.

(side note: “/e/OS” is spelled with wrong in the T&C)

I fail to see the logic in this limitation (as well as why FP2 and FP1 do not count, but that is a separate issue). If this is about supporting longevity of the phones and avoiding electronic waste, it should not matter what software it is running. Especially after Fairphone’s, admittedly very generous, warranty expires and its software gets EOL, if one would want to continue using the hardware, one would need to use a community-developed ROM.

2 Likes

Registered my FP5 extended warranty just now and saw this keep club as well. Registered for both without issues.

1 Like

Heyyy! Thanks for letting me know, cause that is indeed a bug that should be fixed soon.

Also, good feedback on the T&Cs. I have shared it internally so hopefully this will change shortly. Since the program is quite new and freshly launched, we are still experiencing some issues :upside_down_face:

Regarding FP2 not being part of the program, that’s because we do not have a way to track FP2 and it would have made it quite complicated. We love the longevity, but here was rather impossible to award it :broken_heart: anyway, please keep using it for many more years!

6 Likes

5.1 Phone’s Birthday: Earn 20 points for every year you keep your phone! To be eligible, please enter your IMEI number in the required form in your account. We calculate your phone’s birthday based on the date you booted up for the first time. You can only collect birthday points for one phone at a time, the most recent one you entered into the form

4.2 You can view Your Points under Your Keep Club account and track your progress and tier status. You maintain Your Points for 3 years after which the Points which You have not yet redeemed will automatically expire.

I got 20 points for my three-years-old FP3 which is almost 4… Is it because the points for the first three years are gone following the condition 4.2 ?

Anyway I don’t believe that this program pushes you to keep your phone since points last only three years. It implies you have to use them every three years or they are useless. It should be extended to at least ten years since the FP5 should be updated that long.

5 Likes

From my understanding those points are effectively meant to give you a discount on spare parts, etc. in the Fairphone shop. They are not meant to be collected indefinitely as some sort of trophy. As such, the 3 year validity period is not unexpected for me and the limit is likely also due to legal/financial restrictions on the part of Fairphone. It is likely that you can make use of them for one spare part or another within those 3 years as some part usually breaks at some point - even if it’s “only” the battery.
If you’re getting to the expiration limit of the points, you could also consider buying spare parts for other people (and sharing the savings) or just donating them for a good cause as offered within the program.

2 Likes

Just dropped by to confirm that the Keep Club is still a bit buggy… :sweat_smile:

Today I received an email with the following text (I received it in Spanish; I reproduce it here translated into English by me):

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR FAIRPHONE!

Your phone is 3 years old today!

We created the Keep Club to help our users keep their devices as long as possible. And it’s people like you who keep the Keep Club going. After all, our cause at Fairphone revolves around longevity. That’s why we want to celebrate it today with you and your phone.

A birthday without presents isn’t a birthday, is it? So, to celebrate, we’ve just added 20 points to your Keep Club balance, so that your Fairphone will be around for many more years to come!

Are you looking forward to more Keep Club challenges?

…actually, my Fairphone 3 will be four years old next month, not three (maybe it’s normal that they don’t know, since my purchase no longer appears in the “orders” section since they updated the Fairphone website :see_no_evil:).

But the main thing here is: however, despite Fairphone itself assuring me by email that my FP3 is three years old (although it’s almost four), they have only added 20 points to my ‘Keep Club’, not 60 (although, in theory, they add 20 points for every year you keep it).

Oh, and although the “Sign up for newsletter” challenge appears completed in “Your rewards history”, in the tiles it appears greyed out and as not completed.

2 Likes

I think this is expected. You receive 20 points at each birthday. If previous birthdays counted, they should already have been credited to you when you signed up. At least I got credited with my FP4’s first birthday when I signed up - it’s now almost 2 years old, will see if that triggers again then. Did you check the history for this specifically? Also, there was something in the conditions about points only being valid for 3 years. So I can imagine that also birthdays before this will simply not count. Luckily, this restriction won’t happen with any new(er) devices.

Same for me. Looks like a bug.

1 Like

Same on the Newsletter front, it’s credited in the history but not green in the overview.

It also appears to take some time until purchases are credited. The FP4 flip case I bought should in theory count towards the points, but its purchase hasn’t been credited yet.

But things are improving: The warranty registration that was missing in the beginning has since been credited. Also the total point balance is now consistent with the sum of all per-achievement points. This hadn’t been the case in the beginning either.

3 Likes

Yes, when I joined the club and linked the IMEI of my mobile phone (a few weeks ago), an anniversary of my FP3 was registered at that time. However, now the date of that “anniversary” has changed to today (and the previous one no longer appears). It’s true that I’m speaking from memory and I can’t confirm it 100%, but I’m pretty sure that I had already been credited 20 points for my mobile’s birthday with an earlier date than the one that appears now :thinking:.

I could use the 4 year anniversary points of my FP3 (or for the later purchase of a case, which is also not registered) to get free shipping on the lower module when it comes back in stock :hugs::hugs:.

2 Likes

Hello at all. I have FP4 and now I am silver member of Keep club, but when I try to buy accessories and spare part, I always need to pay shipping, it is not free

if your rewards history match the silver level, I would suggest contacting support. My status does not match the infographics (as in cases mentioned above) but I am way below Silver.
If that changes, I would definitely contact support to claim the benefits:)
After all the intention of the programme is to pamper the loyal customers :grinning:

So … has anyone received points for the newsletter and/or for actual purchases yet?

I received an order yesterday from the Fairphone Shop including one screen protector that should qualify, and I also signed up for the newsletter 1-2 weeks ago, but this hasn’t translated into additional points either.

1 Like