Is there a way to disable the shutter sound in the camera?

hi all,

is there a way to disable the shutter sound in the camera, without having to switch to a silent mode? i would like my camera to be quiet, without having to mute all of the phone… any (reasonable) way to achieve this?

any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

This us usually done in the app settings. To my surprise, the default camera app doesn’t seem to allow this (at least I couldn’t find such a setting).
You could search for camera apps in PlayStore and see if you can find an alternative that gives you the opportunity to turn off sound. At present I use OpenCamera and there I can do it.

The only alternative I have found is to cough loudly whilst taking pictures.

3 Likes

How about recording the sound of your cough and then exchanging the camera shutter sound in the system with this recording?

Joking aside, I also frantically searched for this when I first used the camera, hate it when my phone makes unnecessary sounds… But I guess we have to either live with it or use a different camera app…

In the previous forum, sb called Florian wrote this:

Install Root Browser.
With Root Explorer navigate to /System/media/audio/ui/
Look at the sound files and delete (or rename to something different) the ones you don’t want.

Worked for me, however I think you have to do this every time you update the FairphoneOS.

I’d suggest you change your camera-app from the onboard one to “Open Camera”, an open source camera where you can disable the sound and the quality and customization (my opinion) is much better.

3 Likes

You should be able to follow the suggestion above. If you’re not happy playing with the sound files within the system, you should instead install a camera app like Open Camera that allows you to disable the sounds.