iodéOS is completely Open Source!

Maybe one or the other was thinking about trying iodéOS for his Fairphone 3(+) or 4. But discarded this because iodé was partially closed source until now. Good news: I am happy that Antoine Maurino and his iodé team have now managed to make iodéOS completely open source! :slightly_smiling_face:

iodé-News, 3rd November 2022:

Earlier today, we released iodéOS 3.3 as beta. We are happy to announce that we are also releasing iodéOS 3.3 as open source software!
From the beginning, we have been strong proponents of open source software and part of our code was open from day one. We are happy to take the next step and completely open source iodéOS.

16 Likes

So what are the advantages of iode as opposed to Calyx or DivestOS?

1 Like

The TL;DR version?
LineageOS base for iodé vs. AOSP base for Calyx
Bit more features vs. a bit more rolling release
Oh and iodé shipps an adblocker, while Calyx only has a firewall.

Both of them can / will vastly improve your FP4 experience :smirk:

And DivestOS will get you closer to something like GrapheneOS, if you are after more security at the expense of some comfort.

5 Likes

In the linked topic of @yvmuell is already much written in it. Since then, something has improved with iodéOS.

Child protection functions:

Use of the wide-angle camera:

And in iodé blocker you can now block internet access (wifi, mobile data, VPN) via app.

1 Like

same what can be done with dature can made with iode blocker
block each network interface per app or complete network access

I didn’t say iodé has no firewall, I said Calyx only has a firewall :nerd_face:

2 Likes

was no critism, just to clarify more deeply :wink:

1 Like

iodéOS 3.3 stable is out now and can be downloaded!

FP3(+) und FP4

5 Likes

It seems that since the update, my banking app is NOT able to detect that I use a custom ROM. Finally, I don’t have to use my old smartphone anymore.
Some weeks ago, I was that close to replace iodéOS with LOS and just waited for the official version to be released. Didn’t want to have something as crucial as the software controlling all traffic being closed-source.
Now I can’t say anything but “I love this ROM!”.

4 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced about this OS: Iodé Review: Privacy Has a Price - Invidious

Could you please list the criticisms that bother you and/or are mentioned in the video? I (and maybe others > international forum) can unfortunately hardly understand spoken English. In addition, hardly anyone will watch almost 1.5 hours of video to be able to participate in this discussion. :wink:

From the comments you can see at least one point of criticism. Not everything is open source. The video is already a bit older. At that time it was true. But as you have seen in this thread, this has changed now.

4 Likes

Not much of a discussion when people don’t do their due diligence to inform themselves about the topic their are discussing :wink:

The topic is: iodéOS is completely Open Source!
I don’t know what a lengthy video would change about the fact.

If you want to draw people in to something broader, it’s not the task of the people to be intrigued by the mere mention :wink: .

2 Likes

I agree: I’m not asking anyone to watch that video. I’m merely sharing it in the hopes it serves its purpose for those who are curious about it. It’s a great review and I wish more content creators would be half as methodical as the video I shared.

What I disagree with is that the topic is just the news about iode becoming open source. Conversations tend to evolve and touch multiple topics or change subjects. Case in point: hardly any post in this very thread talk about the actual news of it being open source at all.

1 Like

Well, that is a matter of opinion. I already lost interest when the reviewer after about 1 minute told that the installed map app didn’t seem to be good enough and he at once installed google maps… What’s the greater sense in using iodéOS when you switch back to Google apps (without trying out any alternatives) on the first hurdle…?

4 Likes

That instantly sounds much more promising than “due diligence” :wink: .

1 Like

Personally I feel that the Google Maps app is the one app that doesn’t have an amazing alternative. The alternatives are all VERY dependent on where you live. And where I live the alternatives are all terrible. Which is unfortunate.

You may disagree with the conclusions, but there is some objective criteria that I’m sure we can agree on to decide how good this review is. To review is “to examine or study critically”. This man did exactly that, talking at length about the core aspects of any smartphone such as the camera and navigation apps. Things were put to the test, several topics discussed, issues demonstrated on camera to backup points of view, etc.

What’s the greater sense in using iodéOS when you switch back to Google apps (without trying out any alternatives) on the first hurdle…?

The author is not using iodeOS with any greater sense other than testing the product it was given to review. Magic Earth was tested, and didn’t live up to the expectations, simple as that. It’s not unreasonable to reach out for a known working app when the default solution provided did not cut it. Especially when you need to get stuff done, and even more so when we’re talking about navigation apps as @AvidAlbatross said, which I fully agree with.

For me this doesn’t give sense as a test should in my eyes always keep in mind what the product was designed for.

Well, it may depend on the region, as @AvidAlbatross mentioned. But for me other apps have always been better for cycling and hiking. Google maps is imo just perfect for realtime car traffic, but if you don’t go by car…

Anyway, it’s going quite off-topic… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes